Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1999 3200scr noisy generator

Is there anyway to quiet this generator down? We raft with friends who all have Sea Rays and their generators are much quieter than ours and it is embarrassing. We hate to use the generator because it is so noisy. We have noticed the the exhaust hose makes a loop. Is it possible that the water and the noise separate in the loop and that makes it noisy? Plus would installing a new thru hull fitting with a flap help?

Annieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Commander

Annieo,
You have multiple options with making it quieter, I assume you are talking about the exhaust noise not the engine noise in the engine room?, the best place to start is with the supplier, if you have a westerbek start with them, they have different options for exhaust mufflers, the loop you are refering to I again am presuming is something westerbeke do to reduce water back syphoning.
Good luck looking

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

The brand of boat Maxum vs. Searay is irrelevent. Both Maxum and Searay were made by the same manufacturer (Brunswick) and while brunswick also owns Mercury/Mercruiser to me knowledge you are both dealing with aftermarket generators installed at the factory. I would start by looking at the type of generator they have and what you have. Check to see if their's are insulated and yours is not. Also have a mechanic for your generator come out and take a look at it.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

We overnighted in Belmont Bay, which is just off the Potomac River near DC, this past Saturday and a cruiser about 150' away from us had a noisy, droning, unit running all night. Fortunately it wasn't too bad, and it wasn't a Maxum.

While all boat brands use "after market" gen sets some of the more expensive boat brands may have included insulation around the gen set, or added an extra cost muffler, or both, or even other means of quieting the gen set (like a fully enclosed unit). These extra cost measures may be been omitted from a less costly boat.

Nevertheless, as Shrew is suggesting, there's no technical reason you cannot make yours equally quite. Determine where the noise is coming from (exhaust, the engine itself) and start looking for solutions. Perhaps look at your friends get set installations to see how they were done and execute the same on your boat.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Commander

Last weekend I replaced the original 1998 water-lift muffler with a Vetus NLP3 water lock muffler. The result is a considerable reduction in exhaust noise at the through hull. While swimming in the cove yesterday I was very pleased to not have the loudest generator exhaust.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote