Old 07-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 12v fridge draw

Looking for some advice on how much battery power is consumed by the factory fridge on a 3000scr. For example, if I'm anchored for the day and just on batteries should I be turning the fridge off?

thanks

Bush

bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Bush I have a 01 3000 and I always turn my frig down when I leave my slip. Depending on how your batteries are wired , if you have a house battery wired up for your 12 v accessories is going to be your best bet for lasting the longest. I have a couple of group 31 deep cycle batteries and I can be on the hook for all day long.

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

I run mine around 3.1 - 3.5 when away from shore power. When I fire up the generator, I turn it to 4.5 - 5. The admiral and I fight over this more than the thermostat on the furnace. My job is providing power, hers if managing the stores. I want the amp hour burn down, she wants everything in the freezer frozen.

The fridge will be the #1 consumer of battery power.

What is your battery setup like now?

Do you have a generator?

How long do you typically planned to remain unplugged?

Are you running devices off of an inverter like TV's?

Playing a lot of stereo while the engine isn't running?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Shrew. I have two Trojan Agm group 24 batteries. I also have a 2000kw portable genny. My day use would typically be anchored somewhere for the day running the radio and vhf while at anchor. Starting the genny for our afternoon coffee. I could foreseeable run the genny for sometime to help charge. While not new to boating (drive one for a living) I am new to cruising and having to worry about the things we are discussing.

Thanks for your input

Bush
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Ensign

This is a great question. I have an 03 2900SCR, and my fridge, if left too high will def kill my #1 (for fun) battery. I usually keep it around 2.5, and I run my generator for about an hour in the morning and an hour at night. I recently out in a new Charles 30amp batt charger and I have had no battery issues since. I'd love to add a 3rd battery just for accessories like fridge and stereo though.... It never ends!!!!
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

AGM's are great batteries. Fast recharge, repeated low discharge, impervious to slamming and freezing. However, Group 24's would be a bit small, especially for house batteries. I'm going to assume these are also doubling as your stbd and port starters.

Personally, I'm a fan of dedicated group 24 starter batteries and a set of Group 31's for the house. However, I JUST ended my vacation and spent 11 days disconnected from the dock. I tend to overdo some things, but it depends on what you're doing.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote