Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #261
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome aboard, Gerry.

You're shopping experience sounds much like mine. After looking at many boats wife and I ended up with a 2004 2400 SC3. Nice and clean, unmolested, about 74 hours on it, and far and away had the best mechanicals of anything we looked at. We also knew next to nothing about how to run a boat but quite a lot of reading, common sense, and a bit of practice goes a long way indeed. I still need to go fast at times so the 350 MAG and BIII combo on ours is sufficient.

Congrats on the new boat!

Dan

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #262
Lt. JG

Hello everyone! Thank you for making such a forum and keeping it alive and updated.

I'm Carl 32 y.o. from Sandefjord in Norway. I live by the sea with my girlfriend and two kids. We have always had some kind of a boat, small daycruiser and a dingy. And I LOVE the sealife and the boatseason. So in april I fix boats and live life until september when the season is over. We have many island in fjords and the weather is so nice so you just have to have some kind of a boat and get out on the waves. This year I've been so lucky to get a hold on a very cheap Maxum 2700 SCR that I'll be mending the next month or two, and hopefully be selling with some profit. But I've come that far in the cleanig that Im starting to really like this boat. So I hope that this will be a hard sell so I can use it in june hehe

I've made a projectthread which I will be posting images and results and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #263
Admiral

Hello everybody, after belong to tis site for over a year I am finally stepping up to say Hi.

I have been boating since 1990 and have had 3 boats since then my lattest is a 1997 2400 SCR which I am starting my 6th season with. My homeport is Middle River which is on the upper Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. My only complaint with the boat is the lack of on deck storage space, as it only has storage under the aft seat which isn't enough for PFDs and fenders. I bascially am a day boater as the wife has only recently shown any signs of enjoying the activity although she has always allowed me to. She perfers ships of 900 ft and up:-).

PS: I typically visit the site about twice a week so if you respond to this and I am slow replying back you'll know why.

Anyhow hello again
Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #264
Admiral

Welcome aboard, Mike, glad ya found us.

Day boater here as well with a 2004 2400 SC3. This will mark our 5th - I think, season with ours. Our first season was spent waking the waters of the South River and C-Bay but since we live in NoVa we relocated to the Potomac. We do miss the salt of the Bay but definitely don't miss the drive, although we do plan to trailer the boat back to the Bay sometime this season.

Dan
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #265
Lieutenant

Hi mike I have a 96 2400scr . I come out of Dundalk's Bear Creek.I hope to frequent Millers Island this summmer .My wife tollerates my hobby too and prefers Royal caribian ships. This will be my first summer with a boat since 2003 when Issabelle wiped us out.This site has been of great help to me.
Have a great and safe season
Rick
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #266
Admiral

Hi Rick, how far up Bear Creek are you? I have been up to Lynch Cove visiting one of my cousins. I boat as far north as the C&D and south to Annapolis but typically stay in the Middle River area. We have done 5 cruises, 4 being with RC.
Welcome back to boating, hope you have a great season
Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #267
Lieutenant

We live on Peach Orchard cove.It's the first cove on the left just north of the 695 bridge. I'm installing a lift for her at this time and hope to be in the water by june
Rick
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #268
Admiral

Rick nice location with easy access to the bay. Maybe will see each other out there:-)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #269
Ensign

Hello! My husband and I just bought our first boat - we are complete newbies at the whole boating thing so we were very pleased to find this site! We had our first experience launching the boat this morning. (Frightening and very unpleasant.) A lot of practice is definitely in order! The weather will prevent us from having another shot at it until next week; by then the redness will have disappeared from our cheeks and we will try it again!

Looking forward to looking around the website - it is a very useful resource!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #270
Admiral

Welcome aboard New Fish.

I would suggest taking a day off in the middle of the week and practive launching the boat when no one is around and no pressure for time. This way you can be relaxed and practice several times in a row remembering what went wrong and what went right and adjust as required. This is a much easier way to learn then once a week attempts.

Hope you find the website useful and feel free to ask any questions.

Mike
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #271

Every mistake you could possibly make, all of us have made them twice already. It's part of the learning process. Sit at the boat ramp and watch the flow of things for a while. I agree that you should pick a quiet time of day and practice.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #272
Commander

Welcome new fish
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #273
Lt. JG

We have been looking here in Colorado for a used bowrider for a few weeks. This is certainly the selling season for boats here. Nothing seemed to selling for less or around what NADA states. Our budget was around 6-8k and we mostly looked at some late 80's to mid 90's, 16'-20' hulls and was a bit disappointed by what is in inventory from private sellers; for the asking prices. We were told by many non-bayliner owners to stay away from them.
We then came across this 1998 1900 SR (not sure if sub model??, but has the capt seats and rear bench) which looked like it was pulled off the showroom floor no more than 5 years ago.
The 4.3 stearn merc has 77 hours on it - original equip from the seller who is the original owner is all operational. What is avg hours per year for occasionally used boat?
You can tell he has pampered this boat, up until 2012 and he didn't have it in the water last season at all. The interior is immaculate and seats have no tears or hardly any fading. His 2 pc travel cover, bimini, and full length weather cover has no tears and all snaps in place, and the trailer, is in great shape has radials which are important for the long hauls we plan. We ran it on the hose and engaged the lower unit with acceleration for 10 mins in and out of gears. What could be the down side to this boat at $8k?? We looked at older Sea Rays that were listed for more money and less appeal and more engine hours. It is a very pretty and seemingly solid boat..Thoughts?? Immediate service to be done when taking delivery?
Glad to be a part of Maxum Ownership..Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #274
Admiral

If it has the origional engine he averaged 5 hours per year, using a boat nearly every weekend one typically averages 50 hours per year. Checking the engine on the trailer is a start you really need to put it in the water and test under load with a few folks on board to see how the boat will handle. You may also want to have the boat surveyed (~$300) to ensure the hull is solid. Extra to have someone check the engine, compression, oil analysis, ... Money up front but if some underlying engine issue is there that will cost ~$5K.

Immediate service: change engine oil, change outdrive lube, change raw water pump, inspect exhaust risers.

Oh yea welcome aboard

Mike
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #275
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblga
You can tell he has pampered this boat...
Sometimes you can just tell. I picked my boat in the same way.

We looked at many, some above my price range and some below. Some in decent shape, some - not so much. None were particuarly clean, all needed work in order to bring them up to my standards before putting it in the water - be that mechanical, electrical, functional, or cosmetic. We'd gone to a marina to look at a 2002-ish 23' Chaparral cuddy, with only 140 hours on it that sounded very promising in the ad, but was disappointing. Faded, barely hanging on canvas, yellowed and torn seat covers, wires cut and dangling in the engine compartment, super grungy bilge, iffy looking trailer. We didn't even ask them to start it up. Right next to it was a 2004 Maxum 2400 SC3 that was the complete opposite of the Chaparral. Clean through out, half the hours, everything worked, engine and drive looked brand new. No signs of rust around the exhaust manifolds and risers. The only thing it "needed" was to be washed and waxed. Oh, and a battery. The Maxum was always kept on a trailer so I was not at all concerned about the hull. The bilge was completely dry and mostly clean. Since I'm mechanically inclined I did my own assessment of the engine and drive. Did a 30 minute sea trial and signed the papers. That was 5 years ago. We've not had one single mechanical, hull, or electrical issue with the boat.

Point is, the moment I saw it my gut told me "That's it". Sometimes you can just tell you're looking at a well cared for boat.

Dan
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #276
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike and Dan..I will consider the surveyor, but my gut tells me this is a good buy.
I will let you know.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #277
Ensign

Just joined the forum. I'm from Okla and wanted to say hi! I've got a good running 97 Maxum 1750. I will be posting questions in another topic on interior. Thanks and hello from Okla!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #278
Admiral

well howy supspt454

Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #279
Lt. JG

Well,
First full day on water after 1 month of dealing with personal issues...
This past week, I changed the engine oil, lower unit gear lube, and the raw water impeller.
I am just above average when it comes to mechanical ability and this was super simple for me and my father-in-law.
Only two issues that arose on the water after prviously checking out fine -
1) The fuel guage was pinned to E (tank was topped off prior to launch)
2) Blower motor no working at all and the switch just spun in place on the dash
I will check these items on other threads, but wanted to update.
The look on my 88 yr old father-in-laws face when we were flying across the water was priceless. A lifetime boater, who has been out of boating for a few years, he now has me to take care of the hard work and can just sit back and enjoy the ride.
I am planning on calling the previous owner to express my gratitude for selling us exactly what he advertised and he took care of this boat. He knows we will too.
This is going to be the perfect first boat for my family of five + dad.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #280
Admiral

Glad you are pleased with the boat. Post new forums with your 2 issues and folks will help troubleshoot. i.e. if blower switch is spinning on dash the wires will be broken off it, hense no blower.

Mike
Closed Thread