Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Community > Welcome Mat | New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #121
Admiral

welcome to the zoo Gary...we're in Everett ..right close too you...have had several cruises to different places around the sound....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #122
Ensign

Hello all! Just bought a 1997 1700SR! Runs like a top, even though I have to do the seasonal tune up as yet, seller didn't want to, but instead sold for great price... It has been very well maintained, used but twice for fishing before selling this year - got it a little dirty. I will have to get some pics..
Took it out in the river after getting it Wed. night, and again today. Ironically passed an identical boat tonight, looks like it may even be same year?!
One question though.. It does clunk going into fwd or rev, is this normal? (First power boat in very long time).

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #123
Admiral

VVFB
welcome to the zoo....sounds like a nice boat ...when you do your tune up...ensure you get the fluids changed out also with new filter and new impeller..they are pretty cheap and compared to replacing the engine due to overheating....
20 bucks buys alot of peace of mind...

the clunk is normal....it's just allowing the dogs to mesh together as it goes into gear.....just don't jam it in gear while the rpm is revved up....meaning bring it to normal idle and then move to the next gear...saves wear and tear on the teeth of the gears..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #124
Ensign

Hello all glad to have found somewhere to ask questions about my boat.

Jimmy
1992 Maxum 1900XR
Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #125
Admiral

welcome to the zoo jimmy!

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #126
Ensign

Default 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
There has been alot of new folks joining the club and just wanted to welcome you all to the site...
we're dedicated to boating in general and maxum boats in particular..however a boat is a boat in my mind...so welcome to our site..please feel free to post here and ask questions....we have a few guys here that have alot of knowledge and experience with our boats...

introduce yourselves and please leave some info in your bio...you don't need your social security number or anything personal...just where you boat..maybe model and yr of boat...hobbies...etc.....bank account numbers would be good or just send me your master card number!!...ok..just kidding about the last part.....

SP
Joe from Staten Island, NY
In the process of purchasing a 1998, 3700Maxum. Boat's in great shape but still needs odds and ends. Courtesy lights, rugs etc Any idea where to get Maxum parts? Also need a a stbd vent window. Also would appreciate any other information.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #127
Ensign

Default 97 Maxum 20'

Looking at a new boat to purchase and I figured that you guys on here would know more than me since I am new to the boat owning deal. The owner says it is a 97 Maxum SRF 2000 20' with a I/O 5.7L mercruiser. Here are a few pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxum1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1444

Name:	maxum2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1445

Name:	maxum3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1446

Name:	maxum5.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1447
He's asking 4500 for it. Just wondering if this boat is still going to last. He has all the paperwork and has kept everything updated and maintained on it.
Let me know what you think any and all help welcome
Thanks
Josh
Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #128
Admiral

Joe, Josh
welcome to the zoo.....josh..nice boat....seems like about a nice price for the boat.....

Joe
parts and stuff can be purchased at places like great lakes skipper dot com and fisheries supplies dot com......they usually have about everything between the both of them...Maxum boats are still supported by USMARINE and parts can still be ordered...
if you have parts that can't be gotten in your area...contact a buddy of mine who works for lake union searay out here in washington state he can usually get about everything drop shipped too you...
Jim McGarrity at 425-885-2628

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #129
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to paradise2100sc Send a message via Yahoo to paradise2100sc

Hi everyone, my name is Mike Adams. I'm from Paradise,Ca. I was recently given a 1991 Maxum 2100sc from my dad. It's a project for the winter time.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #130
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo.....post some picks....

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #131
Lt. JG

Newbie here; 1st time boat owner. Took major boating course this winter/Spring. Bought a 1991 Maxum SCR 2300 off consignment at marina. No owners manual, no tech info but marina got it up and running for me. Understand its low on power [4.3L] but we'll have to live with it. Boat is considered [by marina] as a good starter boat and I have to agree. Dockings in a very narrow slip have been an adventure. Bought boat knowing skylights needed replacing. Took them both out 2 days ago; came out quite easily in hot sun. Taking then tomorrow to a plastics shop to have new one fabricated; expect $200 each. Obviously need new gaskets & may make them myself. The parts catalogue for Maxum starts in 1993 so seems I'm out of luck. I have an AC shore power panel, no DC so assume its all under the helm panel. On board depth guage seems to quit at depths over about 40 feet but have fish finder which works OK {I don't fish} Need make modification to 1 step swim platform-do like swimming. Boat located just North of Kingston Ontario Canada cheers all Mike
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #132
Admiral

Mike
welcome to the zoo....yep..it's a good starter boat ..best advice I can give is never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.....

for manuals...get the HIN number on the stern of the boat...call Brunswick Marine (we have a phone number in the general forum ) with that number and they will be happy to send you a copy for your boat...

the DC panel is indeed at the helm below the steering wheel....AC is stricktly for your 120vac shore power....

but if you have trouble with getting parts..we have a gent available that thrives on a challenge....we can get you in contact with him if needed..

take lotsa pic's and keep posting..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #133
Commander

Default Hi from NoVA

Hi guys, fairly new Maxum owner here though lifelong boater. Joined some time ago but just now getting off my lazy you know what to post this. Bought 96 2100SR with 5.7L 2bbl and A1 GenII late last summer. PO was not kind to her but got great deal and knew I could fix it up. Had new (reman) motor put in just before I bought as PO decided to attempt winterization himself, guess he messed that up. Boat was used freshwater only on Lake Anna here in Virginia but was left in water all summer. So since I purchased I spent most of a day with StarBrite hull cleaner to get all the growth off, looks like new now. Replaced non-working stereo and speakers (Sony head and Polk Audio speakers). Got her all geared up with new anchor, new top from Letas, new dock lines, fire ext., nice custom cover, etc....

So this year starts and I am thinking I should be OK, wrong. Noticed the bilge water had a bit of rainbow in it when I pulled it out 1 weekend. Very next weekend all seemed fine until alarm went off. After pulling and draining bilge, it was a bit more than rainbow water, got clear water then all outdrive oil after that

So off she comes and taken to the local marina for a re-seal. While they are taking their dear sweet time re-sealing it (took 3 weeks due to their backlog), I replaced gimble, shif bellow and exhaust bellow (driveshaft looked new already). Then replaced all trim cylinder bushings that were all rotted out. Also replaced all anodes that were almost gone.

Then jumped inside and started working on new engine. Man this is why I do it all myself. Not sure what shop did this work but is was not good at all. Must have been a new guy or one that just did not care about quality at all. Found and fixed all loose bolts, brackets and wires (there were many). Fixed fuel fill line routing that they got all wrong. Decided to tune up as it had original wires from 96 and it was a good thing I did. Cap and rotor looked fine but all spark plugs were gapped incorrectly and 1 was even cracked! Gap is supposed to be .035, all were .042 or greater with the biggest at .048. I mean, did they even check them or just pull from the box and install?

So, now I know what it has and all is good to go. Got her finally back together about 2 weeks ago and she is running like a top.

I did re-prop her during all this too since original prop was not in very good shape at all an probably is what caused the seal to go due to a bit of vibration, who know. So I got a Solas 14.3 x 21P on it and I do like it. Holeshot is still pretty decent and she will run up to about 52mph at 4000 (a little on the low end of range but never heard of this little bit causing any issues). At least I know I can drop to a 19P if I want to bring them up a bit and get a slightly better holeshot though not sure it is needed. Definitely a lot of motor for the boat though I would have like the 260hp 4bbl instead of this 235hp version

Don't have any good pics with me now so will try and get some to post soon. In the meantime, here are some of the hull before and after the StarBrite as well as my little girl who loves it

Oh, and for Dan, grew up in FFX but just had to get out, Was getting too busy for my liking. Now living out in Loudoun county and work in Reston. Do you ever make it down to Anna or do you stick with the river only?

Murl
Attached Thumbnails
Before1.JPG   Before3.JPG   After1.JPG   After2.JPG  
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #134
Commander

Default More pics

And a few more pics since I could only attach 5 to the post

BTW -- I am an admin of 2 vBulletin forums at my work. Let me know if you ever need another moderator or admin, I will be glad to help if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
After3.JPG   After4.JPG   Baby.jpg   CoveredUp.JPG   Inside.jpg  

Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #135
Admiral

MC...welcome to the zoo and thanks for posting....great pic's..she cleaned up nicely..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #136
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Now THAT's in introduction Murl! Well done Sir.

I actually grew up in Arlington but have been in Fairfax for....sheeesh, well over 20 years now. Agreed though, Fairfax is really busy. Fortunately for us we found a home in a quiet, secluded, neighborhood that gives us the feeling of being farther out, while still having easy access to everything we want and like. I work in Reston so my commute is but 20 minutes.

We used to keep the boat up near Annapolis on the South River but the 66 to 495 to 50 dance got pretty old pretty quick so we moved the boat down to Woodbridge. Now we come out of our neighborhood, jump on 7100 to 123, then onto 95 for a few miles and we're there - 30 to 40 or so minutes, tops. Nope, have never been down Anna but I'd like to some time just to check it out. I also want to take it back up to to the C-Bay - I miss the smell of salt water.

Nice work getting the boat cleaned up and sorted out Murl, looks good. The hull on our 2400 looked like yours everytime we hauled it out of the South River so I can relate. If you are getting 50+ out of that 350/235 you should be very pleased. Adorable little girl!

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #137
Commander

Thanks Dan! Yep, I am happy with her though 60 would have been nice. Our old family boat was a 21 Chapparal with the 260hp and it would do 59 with an alum 21p on her. Oh well, guess I better not race my brother as he now owns that boat. He also still lives in FFX and sounds like he is right down the road from you. He is off 29 close to Shirley Gate. If you ever decide to head over to Anna let me know, I am down at the Christopher Run end off 522. I am not big on trailering this thing as it just about max for my 4Runner so don't think I will ever make it to the River, maybe the bay for a Rock trip in the fall though
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #138
Admiral

60 'eh? Pfffft, my eyes start watering soon as I hit 40 so I'm content with the 50 or so our 2400 will do with the 300 HP 350 MAG/B3 combination. Of course, I do have a 500 HP/600 FtTq 489 on an engine stand in my garage. Am thinking that would be an awesome boat engine. LOL

Yes indeed, right down the road. We're just off 29 also, right at 7100. Small world isn't it Murl?

I'm guessing you keep your boat down at the lake? Lake Anna is about a 2 hour drive from Fairfax, possibly longer I suspect from Loudon. One of the reasons ours stays at the marina is the same as yours - right on the edge weight wise for the truck. Truck does fine on level ground and slight inclines, and the entire mess stops pretty well, but throw any serious hills in its way and the girly 4.8 is working HARD. Still though, may have to make the trip just for a change of scenery.

Dan

Name:	Truck and Boat.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1499
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #139
Commander

Haha, man I cruise at 35-40, I need speed!
That engine would do a fine job in just about anything, may want to wait for gas to come down a bit. There is a difference between 3mpg and .5mpg

Yep, sure is a small world. Grew up there back in the 70's and 80's and got out maybe 90 or so. Been all over the area since but loudoun for the last 10 years or so. Its not quite that far to Anna, only about 1:30 from FFX (without the traffic of course) and about 1:45 for me.

I keep mine real close to the water, just about 50 yards to the ramp and only 2 miles up the road for gas. That is about as far as like to go with the way it is now. Have not fully gone through the trailer yet since I don't really tow it and the tires are about shot on it. Got new ones for it but haven't found the time to do them yet. Always something going on and fixing the boat was tops on my list

Only advice I will give about Anna, stay away on the Holidays. Man I don't even put her in on them, just not worth it. Normal weekends are not too bad and weekdays are just awesome.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #140
Admiral

I hear ya Murl, I tend to run at the same speed and, coincidently, that's where she's most efficient (not that I care - MPG has no bearing).

Aside from the lack of salt water, our location on the Potomac is pretty nice. Out of our marina we can head up river into DC, can make a big U-turn to the left and head into Occoquan, big sweeping right and hit a popular on-water watering hole, run South for an hour and hit Colonial Beach. Scads of water side restaurants up and down on both the Va side and MD side to hit, pleanty of places to drop anchor and chill and/or raft up with others. Leaving the boat at the marina is nice, and the ramp is private so we rarely have to wait for access, and the gas dock is right next to the ramp.

I've got a co-worker that has a home on the warm side of Anna and he said the same thing; keep clear of the cool side during a holiday weekend.

Dan

Closed Thread