Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
4js
Ensign

Default New to this forum - and new owner of a 1997 Maxum 1900 SR

Hello to all. I just purchased a 1997 Maxum 1900 SR. It has the 135HP Mercruiser 3.0 engine.

I'd like any help/info that anyone can give on the reliability of this engine. Where I can manuals for it (I have searched on this forum already, nothing I could find).
Also would like to know what outdrive this setup has. It's a Mercruiser, but no idea if it's an alpha 1 or what generation it is.

What general maintenance/tuneup should I do before the maiden voyage? I'm very handy with anything mechanical, and can probably tackle most anything if I have a manual.
I'm very very new to boats. This is my first. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
JT

4js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
4js
Ensign

Is this forum a ghost town?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Admiral

winter sometimes quietens down due to boredom and we don't talk politics.......but feel free to spice it up a bit with a joke or maybe some other post or question about boating...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Captain

no it is'nt, it has members from all over the world........but because of the several time areas in wich we live sometimes people re act al little bit later
for instance, in the netherlands it's sunday 20.00 hours, in seattle in the states it's sunday 11.00 hours in the morning, but in australia it's monday 06.15.....so befor you even could get an reaction out off australia it would be almost for you 2 days later.........

but you ont always have to talk about boats....sometimes i talk about my wife, but only because she won't give me a new boat, or i talk about the snow we had in the netherlands in november......there is always something to talk about, and if i dont want to talk about something, then i just read what other people write down and thenthen i keep my mouth shut........but that happens almost never.........ahahaha.....ask SP....what he thinks bout my norwegian neantherthaler english.......but i dont care.......

you know, winter some times lasts very long, and than not all the members ar so active on a boating forum, because the are holding their wintersleep.........but feel free to post what ever you want.....one or the other crazy member will give you an answer.........

greatz from the rainy netherlands, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Admiral

hahahaha...ed ...you crazy nordic guy!!...

trying to translate something from neanderthal nordic to american english can be challenging....but ed's alright.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
.....one or the other crazy member will give you an answer.
well JT.........did i lie to you..????????? hahaha
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #7

Hi 4Js and welcome. Activity is slower during the winter when most people's boats are tucked away. There are a few exceptions like our friends south of the equator. It also seems that there is generally more activity during the week than on weekends. This especially seems to be the case in the summer time when most folks are out boating.

You will get some good replies here, so stick around. Mercruiser, in general, makes decent motors. I haven't heard any specific issues with the 3.0. This is not like buying some outdated OMC. You should be able to purchase both engine and outdrive manuals from Mercruiser. Mercruiser tech support should also be able to tell you the exact model and gear ratio of your outdrive based on the serial number.

Suggestions before launching:

1) Change out the impellor.

2) Engine oil and filter change

3) Outdrive gear lube change. (Make sure to replace the washers for the inspection and drain ports)

4) New Belts

5) New plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor.

This should be a good start.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
4js
Ensign

Well thanks for the replies..I thought I had stumbled upon a forum that hadn't been in use for years....like my treadmill...
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Welcome and Congrats on the boat. You are in for lots of fun! Shrew pretty much nailed it (as usual) as far as what to check out. Where are you and in what waters will you boat? If you plan to launch it in salt make sure to flush the engine with fresh water and "salt away" after each trip. Helps slow down any corrosion issues. Have fun, good luck and keep an eye out for Ed's posts!!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
Have fun, good luck and keep an eye out for Ed's posts!!
my psychiatrist told me it's no danger for the people around me that i talk like a chicken without a head sometimes.......(my wife thinks i always do, but she's still with me, so my shrink is right...)

greatz, ed
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Captain

by the way 4js........your other 3 brothers are very famous in the netherlands.....here are 2 films of them....

greatz again, ed
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
4js
Ensign

I live in the great Commonwealth of Virginia. More specifically, I am in southern Virginia, near the North Carolina border.
I'll be running around the lake that sits on the border of VA and NC, Lake Gaston.
Lucky for me, the lake is about 200 yards from our driveway.

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to get some good technical advice from you guys/gals.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
by the way 4js........your other 3 brothers are very famous in the netherlands.....here are 2 films of them....

greatz again, ed
in case you did'nt get it.....they call themself the 3js.........pppppfffffttttttt,

greatz, ed
Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I'm chiming in a bit late here. I am also new to boating and this forum. I just bought a 95 1800 SR. I have found a lot of information out there. Try this site for owners manual and a parts list.

http://www.maxumcustomercare.com/

I also found the manuals for the MerCruiser engine and drive. I can email them to you if you're interested.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome aboard RS, and congrats on the new boat.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

4js; these guys who run this forum are incredible... I too am somewhat new to this forum and the info gleaned thus far has been priceless. You're in Virginia, huh? I had to sue a telecom company in Fairfax County a couple years ago that forced me to be there (we settled, too bad too... I wanted to go to trial!) and spent some driving to Annapolis, MD. Took a tourist cruise on the Chesapeake, etc... what a great part of the country.

Welcome!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Admiral

Jeff,

I'm in Northern Va - Fairfax, and I work in telecom. The telecom business is incestouos - always running into the same people at different companies. Which Co did you have a run in with?

Dan
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

XO, they cancelled my contract to sell for them after 11 years and an annual million dollar plus book of business. I was one of the first of many cancellations they made (1,000 Agent plus I'm told). This was over four years ago, though... and even though they dumped millions of monthly residual commission payments to Agents off their expense ledger (some were legitimate cancellations) they STILL can't get profitable! I've moved well over half of the Customers they used to pay me on to other providers now after so many years... but it's definately been a struggle I won't lie to you. Not the sharpest tools in the shed running that company, THAT's for sure. Daddy warbucks (aka Carl Icahn) makes it pretty easy to be an inept Officer in that company when he has no clue how screwed up they are there. Hope you don't work for them, but after going through the full lawsuit process with them I'm convinced there's more going on there that people know.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Admiral

Bummer, Jeff, a definite mood hassle.

No, I'm not with XO but I know some folks that are. I'm with ya though - I have no idea how, or why, they are still in business.

Dan
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #20
Lt. JG

Hi 4Js. I'm also a new boat owner and new to the forum. It has been a big help. There's a ton of info, so dig into the posts. I just bought a 95 Maxum 1800SR as well. I was able to find the shop manuals (in pdf) for the 3.0 engine and the Alpha One outdrive. I can't remember where they were off hand, but I think I Googled the engine and drive model numbers. US Marine will email you a copy of the owners manual. It's pretty general, but has some good info. Welcome.

rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote