Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Smile New to maxum 2300 sc boats.

Hello, I have just purchased 1998 maxum 2300 sc. I live in eastern nc and really dont get to cold. Do i need to winterize 5.7 mercruiser and how? Thanks for all of your good advice. By the way, This boat rides very well and seems solid. Stapleton

stapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Most folks also perform maintance when they winterize.

If you will not be using the boat put gas stabilizer in the gas tank and run the engine to get the mixture through the gas lines and carb.

When was the engine oil and gear lube last changed?

Any chance of below freezing in your area? A cracked engine is costly to replace, around $5K for parts and labor.

To winterize flush engine with fresh water by using a hose and muffs connected to the outdrives intake. Then remove drain plugs you may need to use a piece of wire to poke the holes as they can get blocked. Install plugs.

Optional is to run engine on antifreeze to fill passages or remove the 4 hoses from the thermostat housing and pour the antifreeze in the hoses.

Note the engine must be ran until warmed up to ensure the thermostat opens otherwise the antifreeze will not get through the engine.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for your great advice. I have always owned outboard motors, So this is new to me. Yes, it does get below 32 here and there. You said there is drain plugs, are they hard to get to? I will get the motor ready this weekend.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Ensign

Also, oils was changed this summer by dealer.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
Admiral

Welcome to the forum!

I read sometime ago that the most insurance claims for cracked blocks due to not winterizing came from California. This might surprise some boaters because you think that they have great weather all the time and don't have to worry about freezing and that is exactly why it did happen! If you live in an area that might freeze I would make sure you have access to your boat to do the necessary steps to protect it.

It is a roll of the dice!

Good luck!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleton View Post
Thank you for your great advice. I have always owned outboard motors, So this is new to me. Yes, it does get below 32 here and there. You said there is drain plugs, are they hard to get to? I will get the motor ready this weekend.
The drain plugs are blue plastic wing items. Go to the Documents tab of this site to find the Mercruiser manual for your engine to locate them.

Typically they are on the lower water supply elbow to each exhaust manifold, lower mid section of the engine block just above the oil pan line, one one the power steering cooler. If you have a Bravo drive the inboard raw water pump may have one as well.

Mike
Old 01-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #7
Ensign

Hello, I have a problem with a bearring on my 1998 esco tandem trailer. It has been destroyed. Can anyone tell me what size these trailer bearrings are? Boat is 1998 2300 sc. We got 1 1/16. Too small. Took them back. Thanks, Stapleton
Old 01-10-2016, 02:56 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleton View Post
Hello, I have a problem with a bearring on my 1998 esco tandem trailer. It has been destroyed. Can anyone tell me what size these trailer bearrings are? Boat is 1998 2300 sc. We got 1 1/16. Too small. Took them back. Thanks, Stapleton
I would start a new thread with a title that matches this topic. I do not know the size but would remove the old bearing outer race and take it to match it up.

Mike
Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #9

Stepleton,

Many thanks on opening a new thread:

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...ings-6410.html

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote