Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New member - new boat owner

Hello everyone. I boought a used Maxum 18' last fall, and it's great! Only thing is, I don't know how to use the top as a 'half-top' or whatever it is called. The previous owner had the bars installed backwards, and I have fixed that, but now I want to have the ability to use the top with only the front part on the boat. I have attached a picture of what i would like to do. This is not my boat, but very similar. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Nemesis98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Commander

There are two types of tops; the convertible top which connects to the top of the windshield and extends halfway back like in the picture you posted. Then there is the bimini top that connects halfway down the windshield rail and extends to the back of the boat. the bimini is tall enough for adults to walk under and folds up towards the stern.
I don't beleive you can make a convertible into a bimini, or vice versa but anythings possible I suppose.

Check out my pictures in the member gallery to see my bimini and how it differs from a convertible.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Ensign

So what I have is a convertable top (I think) There is another piece to it that zippers to the half shown in the picture, and covers the stern of the boat, and the front half has a zippered flap over the cockpit area.

My question is how do I use only the front part, like in the picture (or can I?) I don't see any way that the front half connects to the bar and stays there, right now it only goes over the bar, and the second half that is zippered to it (zippered right where the bar is) snaps in place at the stern end, holding everything in place.

I will take some pics of mine as it is set up now, hopefuly that will help.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Commander

Normally convertible tops snap onto the top of the windshield. You can see this in the first picture.

This is my boat with the bimimi top.

A picture would help us to see what you have.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Ensign

I will take some pics either tonight or over the weekend and post them for you all to see. The top looks almost exactly like the one in the first pic of the convertable top that tglee posted - it does snap at the windshield, and has removable 'windows' on the sides as well. Just can't figure out how to keep only the front half in place. Stay tuned for the pics!

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Ensign

OK, so I think I might have figured it out (helps when I actually look closer at the top!) I have a convertable top - and that perhaps the rear bar slides thru the end of the top, in a pocket in front of the zipper, similar to a curtain & curtain rod. If that is correct, then the front half of the top is always connected to the bars - so what if you want to take the top off, or fold down? Check out my pics to see if I am making any sense.

(Forgive the dirt & debris on the boat. I just took the shrinkwrap off and haven't cleaned it yet)
Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Ensign

Default I figured it out!

I figured out how my convrtable top works, had to take apart all the framing and slid the upper bar thru the pocket in the top, put everything back together and bingo - a convertable top like those seen everywhere.

Thanks to all of those that helped out. Your pics really helped me figure things out