Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New member

Hi New member 2nd boat. First boat was seadoo jet boat now I have a 96 scr 2400. I need to change the fuel tank as it has a leak. Wanted to tackle it with a friend in the spring as I heard it's not easy job. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Rsantana19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Fuel tank in a 2400 SCR, not an easy job.

Pull the engine, cut out bulkhead between tank and engine. Remove floor in aft cabin to access the tanks hold downs. Remove tank and install new one in a bedding. Replace aft cabin floor and bulkhead. Install engine and aligne it before installing drive.

You may want to look a the Bayliner Owners Club for this topic as it is very common for them and there are very detailed threads with lots of pictures.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
Admiral

Slip a bladder inside. Less destruction to the boat.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:31 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
You would still need to remove aft cabin floor to open the tank to remove the baffles and install the blatter. Then install the floor and seal it to prevent any engine compartment fumes from entering.

Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
I have been doing a little research and came across that. Looks interesting but Seen people complain that bladder can collapse if gets empty.
And if have to still cut into a lot of the boat wondering if just better to replace tank. I have to do more research but any ideas are welcomed.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
Ensign

I see it is not a easy job. I came across a post that the person said they got a slightly smaller gas tank (custom) and didn’t have to take out engine. Had to make a cut slightly bigger then tank and was able to do. Need to find it again and ask some questions.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsantana19 View Post
I see it is not a easy job. I came across a post that the person said they got a slightly smaller gas tank (custom) and didn’t have to take out engine. Had to make a cut slightly bigger then tank and was able to do. Need to find it again and ask some questions.

I have the same boat and see no way to do this without pulling the engine unless you want to cut the deck over the aft cabin.

Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
Ensign

Yea I was thinking same. Everywhere I have been looking says it’s a job. How do you like the boat? New to these kind of boats and not sure what to expect except to spend nice amount of money lol
Old 09-29-2017, 02:15 AM   #9
Admiral

I have a 1997 that I bought in 2008 and had little to no issues until last year when I needed to repower. Got about 100 hours on the new engine. Mine has a Bravo II.

Replacing the fuel tank will cost for a new tank and the fiberglass material. But the work involved is even worse. I have replace fuel tanks twice before but they were in cuddly cabins and one required cutting the deck out between the seats and the other actually had a removable deck but it was caulked which took some work.

You may want to get a start on it now so it will be completed for next years season.

Mike
Old 10-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I have a 1997 that I bought in 2008 and had little to no issues until last year when I needed to repower. Got about 100 hours on the new engine. Mine has a Bravo II.

Replacing the fuel tank will cost for a new tank and the fiberglass material. But the work involved is even worse. I have replace fuel tanks twice before but they were in cuddly cabins and one required cutting the deck out between the seats and the other actually had a removable deck but it was caulked which took some work.

You may want to get a start on it now so it will be completed for next years season.

Yes I need to start ASAP. I need to get down there and take out fuel tank to see where to order it from. I emailed rds aluminum and tHey said get the model/part number. I just need to make some time now.