Old 08-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New and looking into Maxum

Hi all, not new to boating but I have been out of it for a few years. From Buffalo,NY. Recently started looking into purchasing a new to me boat. I've found two that I'm very interested in just looking for opinions and possibly things to look for.

First one is a 2000 -2300sr 5.0mpi boat is clean but could use a few simple things. Fires right up, no leaks, doesn't overheat, easy to drive (I really like the idea of fuel injection being a little easier on Maint and fuel)

Second one 1997 -2300sc 5.7. Haven't been able to see it in person yet (planning on going this week... It's about an hour away) again looks fairly clean. My main concern is how much Maint is the engine going to be. I know it's a long shot of depends on owner etc. but everyone I know has vapor lock issues and struggles to get started after a bit. I'd assume with regular cleaning of carb and service it would be fine.

So my questions are. Anything to look for specific? To worry about? I don't think fuel usage would be much different but if anyone knows for sure if it'd be drastic?

Pipedreams96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

I bet boat engines are rated at 260 HP so I would go with the EFI however the 5.7 will have a little more torque.

The carb may need a rebuild on the 1997.

So things to look at are the overall condition, engine health (compression, oil analysis, rust, ...), outdrrive condition (lube for water and metal fillings), corrosion of the housing and chips/cracks.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Mmwjr Yeah he said (but who knows) that the carb and everything was just gone through but I'm sure I'd still probably have it all gone through before taking it out. Or at least before next season.
I just didn't know if there's was anything specific on those models to look for. Or if there's was a preference between engines. I prefer the f/I but not if it's going to feel like a dramatic difference in speed/torque. For relatively the same price and minor Maint to have it gone through
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Nothing special to worry about on these boat models just standard boat things to look at.

For this size boat I doubt you'll notice a difference between the engine options.

Mike
Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Admiral

I owned a '97 2300 SC a few years back. It had the 7.4L BIII combo and was a rocket ship. The only negative I can say about that model is the tiny swim platform. I added an after market swimplatform.com to it and loved it.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I bet it was a rocket haha I'd love that if I could find one around my area for sale. Sadly I don't have many options for what I'm looking for around me (buffalo NY)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the 2000 w the 5.0. Closer look and it doesn't need much just a few little things. And to be cleaned, a lot. Lol pictures later but for now, small accessories like the shire power cover (broke and missing) and possibly connection inside where it plugs in(I it has wires but looks like he pulled it right out somehow idk?) where do I look for those? And also a gps, me and my wife are looking into them, any recommendations?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
Admiral

Congrats.

Defender and other WEB sites sell all the shore power connectors you'll need.

I like my Lorance combo GPS fish finder.

Mike