Old 03-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Like your Maxum

I'm a lifelong trailer boater looking for our first big boat and the 4100 SCB seems to check more of my boxes than any other choice: Namely, around 40' flybridge sedan, direct drive diesels, galley up, near my budget. I have few SCB specific questions and few generic cruiser questions:
First the 4100SCB specs heavier than nearly every other similar length cruiser. Solid FG hull I assume but any other observations on the heavy weight? Any downside?
While heavy, it's only moderately powered. Any concerns with getting on plane and staying there? Not concerned with top speed but don't want to struggle out of the hole either.
I expect I will do most of my own maintenance (more due to stinginess than handiness) but there can't be much room down there around those cummins'. I'm 6'3" and not as bendy as I once was. Doable?
My admiral is half mermaid and all beautiful however maybe not as spry as she once was. Any concerns with sending her around the side to the bow in uncomfortable conditions?
Finally (and thanks for your patience), the 4100 SCB seems less common than say SeaRay 400 SB, or Carver and Silverton Sport Bridge, or even a Mainship 390. Maybe you're not the most objective audience, but is the 4100SCB the better choice?

KyKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

JeffH has a great thread about his long journey in a 4100 SCB. take a look at what he shared with us and maybe drop him a line.

https://www.maxumownersclub.com/foru...xico-9961.html

Old 04-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyKen View Post
Finally (and thanks for your patience), the 4100 SCB seems less common than say SeaRay 400 SB, or Carver and Silverton Sport Bridge, or even a Mainship 390. Maybe you're not the most objective audience, but is the 4100SCB the better choice?
Of all the boats you listed, I happen to think the Maxum is the most attractive. The SeaRay to me, is second on the list by appearance, but I have also felt the Maxums actually had slightly better layouts despite being nearly the exact same boat for years.

I can't speak to the seaworthiness of the Carvers, Mainships, etc. although I'm sure they're fine. I just do not find their design as appealing to me as Maxums.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I understand where you are coming from. We picked up our 2008 2900 SE last August. We also looked at countless Sea Ray's and others in the 30 - 35 foot class, but actually preferred the cockpit layouts of the several Maxum's that we looked at compared to all the others.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I've heard the maxum vs sea ray vs bayliner argument more times than I care to count and at the end of the day I attempted a very open mind and just looked at all three ( as well as Chaparal, rinker, four winns, etc etc etc)

I liked the maxum LOOK more than the bayliner by far and for any SeaRay that looked as pretty to me, the deal breaker was always the layout. I just think the Maxums are better designed, personally.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
Admiral

I feel like I'm always banging into something when on my buddies Sea Ray...

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4100 scb