Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum

Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Replacing in-hull transducer (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/f11/replacing-in-hull-transducer-5703.html)

rjames 04-27-2015 03:31 PM

Replacing in-hull transducer

I have a 1999 2800 SCR and the factory digital depth gauge shows 2 dashes on the dial. The depth gauge people tell me I have a bad in hull transducer. I would like to replace it and also add a depth/GPS system, also in hull if possible.

How do I feed the transducer wires through to the dash? What panels do I need to open and what are the logistics to getting the wire through to the dash?

Thanks.

mmwjr 04-27-2015 03:59 PM

Typically failure. Trace the old transducer wire and you may be able to use it as a pull wire for the new one. Cut the old one in the bilge and tie it to the new one to pull. However you may find the passages are filled to prevent fumes from getting forward.

rjames 04-27-2015 04:49 PM

2800 SCR transducer cable replacement

Thanks for the quick response.

I followed the transducer cable into a really big glob of silicone on the bulk head. What would be place on the other side that it goes to? Can I get to it by taking off the panel where the throttle is, or is there a better way to get better access to the in hull transducer cable on a 1999 2800 SCR?

Phillbo 04-27-2015 04:49 PM

Can't you just replace the transducer and use the same wire from the old one?

rjames 04-27-2015 04:52 PM

The depth finder people told me that if you are getting 2 dashes, it is the transducer that is bad, not the gauge it self. I plan to attach the new transducer and drop it into the water, to make sure the one I have is bad, before replacing it.

rjames 04-27-2015 04:58 PM

I misread your reply. I have not heard of anyone cutting off the cable and attaching the transducer to the old cable. I thought since it will be wet, they needed to be one sealed unit, transducer and cable. It could very well be something wrong with the cable. I don't know where the problem lies.

Kevlar7r 04-27-2015 05:33 PM

I haven't heard of anyone doing that either, but I suppose its possible. Make the connection in a dry spot. Not sure if those are coaxial or bundled cables though.

One problem though, say you cut the wires on the old one, then cut the wire on your new one to connect it, and discover the problem was really the cable between the bilge and dash. You just threw away a new transducer.

rjames 04-27-2015 05:39 PM

The transducer needs to be as low in the bottom as possible, so it is going to be in a spot that gets wet. I think it is a coaxial wire as it is an RCA fitting.

Kevlar7r 04-27-2015 05:42 PM

I was suggesting make your splice further up the cable, in a dry spot. Not right at the transducer, if you decide to do that.

mmwjr 04-27-2015 09:27 PM

I have heard of a new transducer being spliced to an old cable however you must ensure they both have the same wiring and that you do a good job else the signal integrity will result in poor performance.

And yes it should be done inside the boat in a dry area.

With that said I would go through the effort to run the new cable all the way to the unit.