Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum

Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Spotlight problems (http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forums/f11/spotlight-problems-4946.html)

biggerseagar 12-12-2013 06:14 PM

Spotlight problems

Anybody had any experience with a wireless spotlight?

My old jabsco that came with the boat is on its last leg. The gear that drives it down is stripped and I am looking to

replace it with either another jabsco or pay little more for a wireless spotlight.

Happy Holidays

Roger

HavaMax 12-12-2013 07:14 PM

No experience with one......but would love a "project" thread from ya!!! Merry Christmas!!

shrew 12-12-2013 08:53 PM

I run at night, and I don't use them. I admit, that the unlit markers can be tough to pick out when there is cloudcover or a the moon isn't out. However, more often than not you can see them as long you let your eyes adjust. The spot kills my night vision. Besides, once you get used to running the lit markers, you realize that you don't need the unlit markers anyway. That is why they're unlit. If you line yourself up from lit marker to lit marker you will always be in deep water.

No kidding. I can pick my route for several miles if you can see the lit markers that far.

mmwjr 12-12-2013 10:41 PM

While I agree with Shrew I can see when it can come in handy to have a spot light at times.

I would not think a wireless unit would be that much different both still need prime power for the lamb. The wireless just won't require the control lines.

biggerseagar 12-12-2013 11:55 PM

Using all the natural light at night is the way to go. Like shrew was saying turn a light on and your night vision vanishs.

I learned that this summer on a few night trips with my depth finder and gps blinding me at night.

I use my hand held more than the fixed spotlight to hunt for my cans to keep me in the channel here on the illinois river just cause it is easier to find the cans with the hand held.

But back to point...looks like I can either take the stripped gears out and replace then for under $50.00 or a new jabsco spotlight for under $200.00 or go wireless and have a stronger light for around $350.00

Happy Holidays

Roger

mmwjr 12-13-2013 02:32 AM

What do you mean by stronger for the wireless? Brighter? I would think you could get both with about the same intensity bulb.

What is the rest of the condition of the existing unit? If in good shape and the gears are easy to replace why spend the extra money for something you don't use to often?

biggerseagar 12-13-2013 03:30 AM

Yeah Mike the gear is the only problem. When I move the light up it doesn't want to go down. So yes everything else is ok. When I started all this I didn't realize you can replace just the gears or that it was available, so that is what I'm going to do.

The old jabsco is 100,000 candle power. Most of the wireless were I found were 200,000 or more.

Roger

mmwjr 12-13-2013 04:43 AM

Roger glad to help you see the light :)

Merry Christmas

pascavone 12-13-2013 08:36 PM

step 1: open garbage lid.
step 2: open fingers.
step 3: close garbage lid.
step 4: add light to Santa list.

mmwjr 12-14-2013 02:47 AM

Oh pas you are assuming Roger has been a good boy, but we know the truth ;)