Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
Ensign

Here in Ft. Worth, TX last Saturday's temp 79 degrees; winter projects: Replace rub rail, replace plugs, replace bellows; regasket, clean and repaint lower unit, recarpet cabin / deck areas, clean, clean, clean.

Jae Jahre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #22
Admiral

Jae sounds like you are getting a second summer down there. It also sounds like you will be one busy and tired person after getting your list all done.....

Have fun.......

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Lt. Commander

saved by the bell.
did the whole winterizing last week but forgot about the wastewater
So
after listening to the wheater reports for the following days yesterday i set out (at 20:00 in the dark) and emptied the wastewater tank as far as possible and added anti feeze fluid
Woke up this morning to see that this was a close call
temps have dropped to 5 degrees fahrenheit and will stay low the next coming days
my little angel is still on my shoulder
rens
rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Admiral

Hey Jae.........welcome to the website!! I did not see your number on your first post here in Maxum land........

Enjoy and please pictures when you are done.........

Roger
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #25
Ensign

I have a 2006 2600SE.

I finished my winterizing and added some posts so I can hook up a battery and operate my hatch without batteries in the engine compartment. It was always a hassle to get the batteries out for the winter. I added a 12 volt plug for accesories as long as I was wiring stuff.

My Bravo 3 outdrive is corroding away faster than I can paint the drive and replace anodes but I kept up that project as well.

new TV antenna

replace one bad speaker

Figure out how to install a gauge on my water suction line (one of the alarms that I can't diagnose wityhout the dealers computer)

install a "Y" valve and a macerator pump so I can empty my wastewater at home or at a campground type diposal site. I run my boat long after the local marina has shut down for the year.

relocate my ignition key to a spot where I'm not always hitting and breaking it with my knee.
boilerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Here in Dallas, Tx we generally don't call it Winter until late January or early February, then its over in March. It did cool off this week but we will be back up to flip flop weather tomorrow.
With that said we don't have enough downtime to do projects so we have to spread them out over the year and do them during the week days.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
Lt. JG

My winter project:

I have a spot in the floor on my 1995 1800 SR (aft starboard) that seems to be spongy. It's the spot where everyone steps to get into the boat. I'm assuming I have some rotten wood, so I'm planning to pull the carpet and replace at least that section. Has anyone done this? I searched the forum, but haven't found anything about replacing the floor. Recomendations on material would be appreciated. Thanks,
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #28
Admiral

Rscotta........first welcome to the website. Hope your holiday was great. There has been many boat owners like yourself that have done what you are going do. This is like replacing your floor in your house, you need to cut out enough to get the rot out and where it can spliced back together back on top of the boats frame or stringer system. Buy the right thickest marine plywood, incapsulated with a fiberglass resin system and put your carpet back on. I watch a show called Ship Shape TV. They have had some great shows on what your wanting to do. See if you can catch a show or try U -Tube for examples on what you want to do.

Good luck

Roger
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotta View Post
My winter project:

I have a spot in the floor on my 1995 1800 SR (aft starboard) that seems to be spongy. It's the spot where everyone steps to get into the boat. I'm assuming I have some rotten wood, so I'm planning to pull the carpet and replace at least that section. Has anyone done this? I searched the forum, but haven't found anything about replacing the floor. Recomendations on material would be appreciated. Thanks,
You might want to start a new thread on that one.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
Lieutenant

You are about to be in a big shock. Boats rot from the hull up. This is caused by the flotation foam that is installed under the decking and in between the stringers that has become saturated with water and not drying up, leaving the wood wet.

Once you open the floor you will see what I am talking about, all the foam will need to be removed. At this point you will most likely find out that 4-6 feet of your stringers and cross members are rotted on both sides.

This will all need to be cut out and replaced. Be VERY CAREFUL cutting the floor out, you have a fuel tank stradleing the stringers and is only about a half inch or so below the floor deck.

If you are good with wood working to make new stringers, these will be cut in a radius. Good with resin and fiberglassing the new stringers and cross members in then cutting the new floor deck (also radius cut) will be easy for you.

Don't forget to check where the engine mounts attached, we all tend to raise the bow so water will drain, this area could also have rot.

The carpet part is simple, be sure to add extra layers of blocking under the front (decking area) for the seat pedistol bases for extra support.

Yes you may want to start a new thread, if you do I will see if I can find the link for the last time I did this on a 19' bow rider.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #31
Lt. JG

Thanks for the info. I'll start a new post just to see if anyone has done this on a Maxum.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #32
Lieutenant

I posted this in another thread but here is some stuff I did over the fall/winter.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...ActmLZq4YuGjow
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
Commander

Hows everyone coming on their Projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
Some things that are on my To-Do List: 94 Maxum 2400SCR
- relocate Battery switch - I've located a new location just have to get off my ***** and do it...LOL
- Bigger swim Platform (maybe Next Year) [http://swimplatforms.contentpros.net.../Default.aspx] - Not this year due to $$$
- reupholster cockpit - Was going to do it all but Just the Aft Seat this year. Should be done in 3 weeks
- replace cockpit carpet
- fix Speedo(not working) - Still working on this one
- Fix Throttle(Binding) - Ugggg - Removed and took to local Baot Yard - Easy Fix - $2.00 Sleeve and some Lube should do the trick (Fingers Crossed)
- compound and wax - Waiting for the weather to git warmer
- Perform "name changing ceremony"
This is gonna be Fun - But that will be on the Day of the Splash.
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Commander

If this was school, and I was graded on winter projects, I would be left back. :-D
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #35
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
Some things that are on my To-Do List: 94 Maxum 2400SCR
- relocate Battery switch
- Bigger swim Platform (maybe Next Year) [http://swimplatforms.contentpros.net.../Default.aspx]
- reupholster cockpit
- replace cockpit carpet
- fix Speedo(not working)
- Fix Throttle(Binding)
- compound and wax
- Perform "name changing ceremony"
As a Department of Defense Civil Service worker, Furlough is eminent. While Furlough is only one day a week it ends up being 20% of my take home (Net) pay. I am thankful I still have a job, but.... that 20% loss is gona hurt my boating season and my "Winter Project List"
Soooooo here is the new revised "Winter Project List":

- relocate Battery switch - only if I don't need to buy any new battery cables
- Bigger swim Platform (maybe Next Year) - maybe not next year either! (maybe after next election) did I say that...sorry!!!!
- reupholster cockpit - See previous comment
- replace cockpit carpet - See previous comment
- fix Speedo(not working) - I have a GPS that tells me how fast I am burning up fuel (AKA- MPH)
- Fix Throttle(Binding) - Gotta finish this, in work should be completed this weekend
- compound and wax - I already have everything just waiting for mother nature to give me some warm weather
- Perform "name changing ceremony" - This I gotta do..LOL However it will be a BYOB (except for the Toast) - instead of a bottle of champagne it'll be a bottle of Beer cracked over the Bow, followed by shots of Grog! Arrrr LOL

Todd
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Ensign

Hi Roger, You still in the battery business? I need a battery for a 1990 maxum with a mercrusier 3.0L 4-cyl. What's a good battery to put in it?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #37
Commander

I will let Roger add his thoughts as well but if it were me, I would use the Interstate 24M-HD or 24M-XHD. The HD has 500CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) where the XHD has 800CCA (I use the HD in my 5.7l V8).
These are simple Marine Cranking/Starting batteries as you really don't need a Deep Cycle in a boat like this (good for constant draining and charging). Now if this was a House Battery that was only used to run accessories or in a fishing boat for Trolling Motor, go with the Deep Cycle version which is the SRM-24 though it is quite a bit more expensive.

It is my opinion that 500CCA on the 24M-HD is more than enough for normal starting. It may die a bit quicker if you have issues and need to just crank and crank it for 30-60 minutes because of an issue.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
Admiral

Mac took the words right out of my mouth.....I'll say no more:-)

Roger