Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default windlass help

I'm hoping to get some good info or POCs on here to assist with getting a new or good as new windlass for my 94 Maxum 2400 SCR. I purchased the boat two years ago without the windlass. It is my understanding that one of the previous owners removed it but I did not get a reason for why it was removed but it did have one at one time because it has the hole up front on the bow top to the right rear of the pulpit. I would like to get another one for it. If anyone could get me in the right direction it would be much appreciative. I"ve looked on line but my biggest problem is that I don't even know what type or how big it should be.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Many models come with an anchorline and rode hawse to the anchor locker which is under the pulpit and just in front of the bulkhead in the v-berth. Mine is the same exact location as you described. Are you sure that you're not just looking at the hawse pipe? Could it be that the hawse is missing and simply looks like a hole with 4 screw holes? I would expect if the windlass was missing there'd be several screw holes in a square or round-ish pattern directly in line with the bow roller on the pulpit. I wouldn't expect to see a windlass off center to the pulit and roller. I'd also expect to find the electrical wires in the anchor locker as well. I couldn't imgaine someone took the time to backpull the wires that far.

Maybe a pic would help.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Admiral

actually shrew, the lewmar 700 windlass is off centerline a bit and the rode drops down it's hawse pipe to the anchor locker....the most common unit on bayliners and maxums are the lewmar 700 model windlass....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...7&classNum=199

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

That makes sense. That must look horrible to have a hole in the deck. I wonder how the PO thought he would keep water from wicking through through the coring?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Lt. JG

thanks Shrew and Seapuppy. I guess I may be off kilter then. I have what looks to be a greyish round tube that is mounted to my deck and stands about two inches high. It does not have a cap but it is where the anchor ropes drop down into the compartment. I may be wrong in assuming it had a windlass but I was going by what the previous own had told me. I would expect to have a groove in the side of it for the anchor line to come in and out of but it is cut straight so my deductive reasoning tells me that it is missing something. So based on what the previous owner had told me, I just assumed it was missing all together. Also, I never even looked to see if maybe there were connectors below there but there is a toggle on the instrument panel for the winch. I would love to be able to send a pic but I am currentlly deployed in sopport of our troops in Afghanistan and won't be back for a wheee bit. I wanted to get some things ordered so that when I do get back, I can get them on and get her underway before I decide to get a bigger girl......say a 3200 SCR. I would love to get a 4100 but the pocket book cringes every time i think of that.
Now if it did not have a windlass, I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to put one on or get the actual part that is missing....

Thanks again........
Jim
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Jim, having the 1999 2400SCR I'm guessing the setup is similar, and not being an expert by any means, I'll tell you what's on mine; a Horizon vertical windlass which drops down the chain/rope into the anchor locker, right in the center of the boat. The pipe with cap is to starboard and is unused on my boat. Whether this is a stock setup I have no idea. Here are pics, port and stbd I found in my album if it helps.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack1036 View Post
....I am currentlly deployed in sopport of our troops in Afghanistan and won't be back for a wheee bit. Jim
I've no help to offer on the windlass but did want to offer my thanks to you for helping to support our troups Jim.

Safe return to you.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Admiral

Talking

Tom...yours is an add on to your boat...that particular model can be had inexpensively........Jim, Being an AF vet from long ago..
I'd like to extend my thanks for your support of our troops also....stay safe...come home soon....buy lotsa parts for the boat!...

the one your going to want to install is the lewmar v700....it's low profile and looks good on your boat.

SP arr
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Lt. JG

Tommyfmu, nope, I'm pretty sure from the looks of my deck that I did not have one of those. I don't have any extra holes to worry about other than the one I explained earlier. I guess I may have completely missunderstood the original owner. After all I have heard and found, it looks like my boat is just missing some type of cap for the "HAWSE". In any event, I think I"m gonna purchase the Lewmar and see about either mounting it so that i can use the existing hole or just get a cap for the darn thing.

Thank you all so much for the advice.

Also, I'm proud to serve our men and women of the military services. After 22 years myself in the army I'm happy I can still come over and do the same things I did wearing the uniform.

CHEERS
Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
Commander

Does this help?

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Jim,
Like Dan I can't help with your question but wanted to say thanks for supporting the troops and for your service to the country. Stay safe.

New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote