Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default what to consider instead ?

With Maxum line of boats being discontinued, perhaps we should start putting list ... to try and find equivalent value/spec boats ?

Brunswick had the sequence pretty clear as .. Bayliner at start of the range, then Maxum followed by Sea Ray.

What boats should be added and where would they fit in pecking order ....

Rinker
Tahoe
Bryant
Four Winns
Monterey
Cobalt
Chaparral
Regal (are they still going?)

We should keep the list to general purpose boats ... leave off Sunseeker, Princess & the tournament boats.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: what to consider instead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut
None. I will own my current Maxum until the day I die, and then be buried with it. My wife will have to find her own plot.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Admiral

What?...no bayliners???

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Don't know much about the brand (actually nothing) but I did see a Cruiser Yachts out on the lake that looked quite smart. They also seem quite reasonable in terms of price. Take a look;

http://www.boattest.com/oem/general-inf ... 7#OverView
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Everytime I see this on a boating forum, it always ends up as an argument over who's boat is better.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Admiral

Don't worry Tig....I'd say that everyone here is very conciderate and intelligent....if it gets into a pi##ing match..I'll slow the fight down...if need be..I'll shut it down....but we've never had an arguement here on the maxum site..

make your suggestions...but remember...it's an opinion.....

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglee
Quote:
Everytime I see this on a boating forum, it always ends up as an argument over who's boat is better.
Forums are about debate ... And in this case we would all agree that we all like Maxum .. But as they are no more it is not a case of mine is better ... Mine is no longer available..
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Ensign

Speaking as someone who has owned two Bayliners, a Rinker and a Maxum, can I just say that the Maxum has the edge on all the boats we've had.
I agree though, that now the brand has been discontinued, it's not so much what to get instead, but to try to preserve all living Maxums as far as we possibly can! This is a great forum for sharing spares, manuals, tips etc to keep our boats servicable, and if we're members of this club it should be our prime function to help everyone who needs something.
Maybe we should be making sure that dealers are not getting rid of valuable parts just because they no longer sell the boats?
SH
Seahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

I was recently reading that the only 'maxum' specific parts on the boat were the hull & the carpets.
Everything else is a standard off the shelf part.

I would have thought that padded comings, engine cover etc., were maxum specific but have no proof of that.

Engine, drive, screen, cleats, instrumentation, contols ... are all standard parts.

In EU there is a legal number of years that you have to stock spares in you discontinue a model/range .... be interesting if Maxum had to sign up to that to gain CE certification.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Out of curiosity, how long have Maxum been making boats? Is it likely that when the economy turns that the line may be resurrected or perhaps bought by another manufacturer much the same as the auto industry has gone? Obviously there is value in the brand itself. What do you think?

BTW, just got back from a weekend in Florida. You guys on the intercostals have a boaters dream
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how long have Maxum been making boats? Is it likely that when the economy turns that the line may be resurrected or perhaps bought by another manufacturer much the same as the auto industry has gone?
To my knowledge, the Maxum brand has been around since 1987. I'm basing that on the 10th Anniversary plaque on my 1997. I honestly doubt that the line will be resurrected. Brunswick already has the Bayliner and Searay lines which all but dominate the express cruiser market. Each serves a slightly seperate market segment in regards to price points and to a degree 'perceived' quality. There is little room for a 3rd product line essentially competing with the others. There is an inherant cost to maintain a seperate set of designs, unique products/parts and options (let's face it there are parts which are specific to each brand and inventorying items costs money), production lines, marketing and advertising, etc. Those looking for perceived quality who are not so price point conscisous will lean towards Searay. Those looking for an excellent value will go to Bayliner. I think the overall Maxum sales were dwarfed by the sales of Searays and Bayliners to begin with. At some point you have to look at the cost to maintain a line as compared to the revenue generated. Knowing that you can decrease operating costs and defer the expense and efforts to the remaining lines makes more sense in the long run. those shying from Bayliner will look to Searay. Those who feel searay is out of their price range will look to Bayliner.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

let's do a forum buy out ..... And go buy the Moulds.
The rest is off the shelf.
:-)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

You could call it the Gladiator range by Maxumus :idea:

ash
Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

If i was replacing my Maxum tomorrow with a boat of similar spec, I'd choose the Bayliner.

Bayliner has been getting better and better recently and I genuinely don't believe you'd tell the difference between a 2008 Maxum and a 2010 Bayliner. Them line between the boats has been getting blurred more and more recently, whilst the gap between maxum and Sea Ray had been widening since 2000 or so. Anyone who hasn't checked out Bayliner recently; have a look at their website... you'd be hard pressed to find a great different between the 2 brands now.

Saying all of this though, with the way that tournament boats are so far ahead now in terms of quality, finish, handling, options etc... My next boat will be a tournament boat.