Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Admiral

Unhappy WELL....I guess it's time to end this ride.......

I've been working my butt off for months trying to not pressure the wife about the boat...as many of you might remember I wrecked the boat last summer and did 46k in damages by hitting a rock....the wife was traumatized and has yet to set foot on it....everytime I bring up something about the boat...I get a mess of crap and it's getting old...if I can't get her on the boat..there's no point in having it...as much as I love the boat...It's just not worth the hassle of it all...

so..I'm in negotiations with a broker to sell the boat....this boat is stronger than when it came out of the mold and runs and performs great....I've done a lot of creature improvements on her and she's just great to be on...so...it is with a heavy heart I am putting Wild Whim up for sale and ending my boating yrs.....

to all of you over the yrs that have been my friend...I thank you for your friendship, humor and trust over the yrs....it's been a great 12 yrs here on the maxum owners club site......I wish you ALL the very best in life and on the water...

Sincerely

Steve...

PS. Shrew will now take the reins of the maxum club site....he's good...so don't give him any crap....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Captain

now "buck up little camper", I've been a boat owner for one year, one hurrincane, and and engine injesting with water.... and my wife has the same opinion.

even my marine mechinic wife dose not let him go on plane.......in the bay no less....

so, my advise is to cancel all boat updates with the wife, and just putt putt around the pond for a season, and always bring her friends..... even the ones you don't like!

men are hunters, women as nesters, you crapped in the nest.... going to take a bit for the hen to sit down again on the egg.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Try a smaller boat, don't give it up completely...Hell I just Joined the site...and you seem to be the most active here.
gmenta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Actually, you need to try a bigger boat. Bigger is better. That's what she said. My wife's much happier with our 46 SCB than she was with our 32 express
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Captain

hai pup,

sad to read that you quiet boating because of your wife.......but remember as i believe you have survived al the storms with your woman during your live with eachother......so you both will come out stronger then you were before......good luck for the both of you with wathever you are going to do........and txs for your positive input on this forum.

many greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Um, if you're not around to give crap to, and we're not allowed to give crap to Shrew, well - I mean, we HAVE to have someone! Oh wait - I know, Ed's around here somewhere.....

Kidding aside Steve, sorry to hear that you two are giving up the boat but I have nothing but respect for a man who knows where his priorities lie. The boat might be fun but it is just a thing, an inanimate object. Family always comes first.

Hope you'll pop in from time to time and share your knowledge, experience, and humor.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Steve,

Since trading the Maxum in for the Chap, I check in here from time to time but rarely actually sign in and post. But, when I saw your post today, I had to respond. I am so sorry to hear about your decision (but fully appreciate that you are doing what you need to do). Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS for all you do / did here at the MOC and at the BOC - you will be sorely missed by many Maxum, Bayliner (and at least one Chaparral) owners. I wish you and your admiral the very best in the future. Please take care.

PS to Shrew- good luck to you too filling Steve's shoes, which I am sure you will do just fine.

Take care everyone!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Commander

Im in a state of shock at the moment, Seapuppy/Steve I am on the other side of the world and have woken to the news that you are calling it time for change, I wish you all the luck in the world selling wild whim, I hope you find a buyer that pays you what is worth, times are tough as you know selling boats, I would like to thank you for your input, and im sure your not going to disappear just changing tack on life, I can tell you from experience that having an accident on the water takes its toll, my friend is going for her last operation next month to fix the last of her scarring from the accident we had over a year ago, she is doing well now and life has moved on for everyone, you are doing the right thing for you and your wife which is the important thing, I do however have the feeling you will be back, enjoy what ever it is you choose to fill this void in your life with, and please keep in contact with us all, its been an honour knowing you and having you share your wisdom with us, I would like to point out to you something that i hope you have realised already, that through this fantastic site you have associated with people from around the world that you have never met in person that appreciate what you have done for them, that is a amazingly powerful achievement, some people go through their lives never knowing their neighbours names, you have reached people from as far south as Australia and helped them, and received nothing other than thanks, I hope you have the humble feeling as you deserve it.
Thanks for everything as best of luck

Regards

Huddo/ Kris
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

SP, Thanks for all the help, advice and humour. You'll really be missed around here. As someone who's been married for 20 years there's little point in having a big boat without someone to share it with.

Will be happy to start giving Shrew plenty of crap but will miss you. Good luck.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Admiral

Don't know what to say...... Met you on the Bayliner site and you introduced me to this site which I have said thanks for doing so.

I just hope maybe after a season or two the wife will come around and begin to miss all your boat friends and the life style to want to get back into it again. Lets hope!

Please stay touch.....

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Captain

I told my wife that when I get tired of boating, I was going to get an airplane!

26mph sounded my reasonible.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

Well, I'm speachless. I tried to write this reply several times. All I can say is, I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. However, I don't blame you one bit. I would do the same thing. I also wouldn't blame tha admiral either, I can sympathize and understand how she must feel. I too would want to distance myself from all thigns boating to avoid the reminder. I would hate to see a boat come between two people whether it were because you had one, or because you didn't. After all, boating to relax and fun. If it's neither of those things, then it's simply not worth it. If one person is not having a good time, then neither are having a good time.

I won't say goodbye, because I hope to at least see you here every now and then. I do wish you the best of luck and know you're making the right decision.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Lieutenant

To a boater that is life changing. I understand the fear factor of not wanting back on the boat, but I don't understand you needing to not visit the site anymore.
I can't imaging life with out a boat.
I almost thought it would happen back in September when we got the current boat (3000 SCR). We had just returned from our first outing in it and we were tieing up in the slip, my wif slipped backwards and hit her head on the boat in the next slip knocking her out. Someone screamed she's in the water and when I ran around to the other side she was unconscious floating about 1 foot under water in the fetal position, eyes closed.
I thought she was dead. I jumped in holding on to the boat and pier, wrapped my legs around her to get her above water while friends pulled her on the slip. That is the scariest thing I have ever been through or seen!
She ended up ok and we boated the next day, she is no longer allowed on the fingers.
I hope your wife will come back around, boating is a way of life, it's been in mine for over 40 years.
Good luck to you.
Glenn Wright
Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Admiral

thanks everyone for understanding....it's a real tough decision for me...I've grappled with it alot and if I can't get her to have fun..then as stated..it's not worth it......I'm sorry to have to end my boating career after being a navy brat,a submarine/destroyer designer for 17 yrs and a recreational boater for 12...maybe I'll get a bigger one or a motorhome ...not sure what we'll do....I do know that while we were taking our personal belongings off the boat...it was very difficult for me to have to do it.....just like pulling my own teeth out one by one....

Shrew..I know you'll take good care of the moc....don't cut my acct off just yet...I may stop in from time to time after I stop serious drinking and crying for the next few months.....
Plus you've been a really great mod helping me run the show......I'm sure you'll do fine with keeping it all going smoothly...

all my best too you guys and glenn..thank god your wife is ok..that would have been a terrible event......
your not far from my sister in Rowlette...

anyway....God bless all of you...stay safe...have fun.....toss one in my honor occasionally......

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
thanks everyone for understanding....it's a real tough decision for me...I've grappled with it alot and if I can't get her to have fun..then as stated..it's not worth it......I'm sorry to have to end my boating career after being a navy brat,a submarine/destroyer designer for 17 yrs and a recreational boater for 12...maybe I'll get a bigger one or a motorhome ...not sure what we'll do....I do know that we while we were taking our personal belongings off the boat...it was very difficult for me to have to do it.....just like pulling my own teeth out one by one....

Shrew..I know you'll take good care of the moc....don't cut my acct off just yet...I may stop in from time to time after I stop serious drinking and crying for the next few months.....
Plus you've been a really great mod helping me run the show......I'm sure you'll do fine with keeping it all going smoothly...

all my best too you guys and glenn..thank god your wife is ok..that would have been a terrible event......
your not far from my sister in Rowlette...

anyway....God bless all of you...stay safe...have fun.....toss one in my honor occasionally......

Steve
Steve your account will stay active indefinitely and as a mod, we will all wait for your posts

Jon
jhabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Lt. Commander

Steve,
I'm so sorry to hear about your decision, but fully understand it, and would do the same thing myself in your shoes. God knows some of the stories I've read, such as your own, about misfortune on the water scares me and makes me hyper vigilant. I can only humbly thank you for the wisdom you've imparted to me and others here, and beg you to stay involved. You can rest assured you are appreciated. Maybe someday the "tide will turn" and you'll be back on the water, or maybe you'll find another source of pleasure. I wish you only and all the best.

Tom
Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Lt. Commander

youre wife is youre mate, the boat "although precious" only a thing.
did the same with my car hobby (which my wife didn't like) and found boating.
there will allways be something else
and
who would you like to talk to when youre old
someone who had the same labour and hobby, lived in the same house never visited other country's or someone who overcame a lot of trouble, changed his life a few times and seen a lot of the world
i would know the answer.
have a nice life
rens
rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Commander

Steve,
It has been a pleasure getting to know you. Your knowledge and love for boating is second to none. That being said, I would cut my left arm off for my wife if I needed to, to make her happy (I'm sure that is what this feels like to you right now). The love, companionship and friendship of a good woman is second to none and you truly do not take that for granted. You will be sorely missed, as MOC will not be the same without you. I can understand the need to distance yourself from boat related things, however I hope you will at least drop by the dockwalk from time to time and continue to impart your wisdom and humor on us.

From one yard bird to another...Fair Winds and Following seas (even though it will be on land)

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
Admiral

Country me, shrew, Jonnathan...and everyone else here on the MOC....I am truly touched with your comments and support.....I have some good news and some bad news....
first the good news....I'm staying .....I know this all sounds like a lot of drama going on but today I got up early...grabbed the wife and we ran for breakfast and an errand...then went to the boat to start taking our junk out of her...(the boat)...well...marsha thought I was bluffing and half way thru loading the truck up with out junk...she broke down and ( I think she thought I was bluffing) started crying saying I didn't even concider what she wanted........but when I told her that she means more to me than a boat...although I would miss the boat and boating....she's more important to me....we talked for about an hr and she promised to try and learn to drive the boat and take a more active roll in the boat ...after arguing about the boat lately for a whole week..I was tired of it all and I felt to regain peace and harmony ..it was the best thing to do..concidering...

now for the bad news......I am totally sorry for creating all this drama when I was seriously taking all the steps to get out of boating......for that I'm sorry for creating such a furor but I really thought the wife would be tickled silly about me selling the boat.......it was the last thing on my mind to do here....I enjoy this place as you guys know.....I enjoy all the comradery we experience without the drama.......as there are with other sites....

for all of you that has spoken out on my behalf and understanding..I am grateful for your comments and friendship...

thanks......

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #20
Lieutenant

Steve, I kind of knew this day would come. You have made the right decision. The truth is, you are smart enough to know that is what you need to do. Most of us would be stubborn, keep it and miss out on what truly matters. Maybe you can take up flying? Most of the time, I feel much more safe in the ac than I do in the boat!! I've never been worried about hitting an unseen rock anyway!! Keep in touch with us, I know we all look forward to hearing about the next chapter. While our association has been pretty brief, you have been a trusted voice for me.

Take care,
Matt

capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote