Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Washing your bimini

After finally getting good weather to shrink wrap our boat yesterday I did something different with the bimini top. Usually I hust roll everything up and take canvas and frame off and store it in the garage for the winter.

But Nooooooo......I took the canvas off the frame this time and I would like to clean the canvas. This is not sunbrella but maxum's fabric (whatever that is I've been told) .

Any ideas? Can I use a big washer like at a laundry mat or dry clean?

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Admiral

Dawn dish soap and a brush works fine.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Admiral

I've done that before when it was on the boat.....I'm wondering if you can put this in a commercial front loader washing machine?

Roger
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Commander

Canvases are pretty big and heavy, so not sure how big your bimini is or how large of a washer you can find/use. If it cant tumble in the washer, then it wont wash well. Plus, when you pull it out, wet canvas is pretty heavy. Also, public laundromats will frown if you put anything but laundry detergent in their machines, but laundry detergent is to harsh for canvas/biminis, so not sure what your intent is. Personally, I drape mine over my fence at home and I use Ivory dishwashing liquid. Come spring, make sure to give it a once over with a water sealant for bimini/canvas.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

I lay a clean plastic tarp down, then lay the canvas out on the tarp. I hit it with a hose first, then spray it down with the 303 Fabric cleaner. Then rinse it with teh hose again. I've done it in the shop with some soft bristled scrub brushes, but it doesn't rinse the same as when I use a hose. I usually wait until the spring when it's back on the frame to waterproof it. So I usually don't do the canvas until the spring, then I do it right next to the boat while it's up on land. I like to wait for the canvas to dry before putting it back on the fame and setting it up on the boat. I find the waterproofer works better when applied when the canvas is already stretched.

Just my .02
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Admiral

Thanks guys for all your input on this. Sounds like I need to wait until spring to do this. I have it stored in the cabin for the winter. Out of sight out of mind............

Roger
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

Correction: After soaking the bimini with a hose, then spraying on the cleaner, I still work it with a soft bristled brush before I rinse it with the hose. Doing it inside doesn't allow me to thoroughly wet or rinse it. Just thought I'd clarify.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I've used a commercial washer and woolite soap. It comes out great. After it fully dries you will need treat it with water repellent . I have a 4600SCB and used the xtra large washer and 1/2 gallon of canvas water repellent after cleaning
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

I've been using a Chinese laundry every fall. They clean my Sunbrella Bimini, Tonneau cover and even repair the threads. Comes back folded and ready to go. Ancient Chinese secret.....

Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote