Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Wakeboard Tower for my 1900sr

Whats up everybody. Im new here. My name is Anthony. 8)

I have a 2002 maxum 1900sr

I would like to add a wakboard tower. Is this something I can install myself? Or should I not mess around and have a pro do it?

Also is there a dealer that specializes in towers for Maxum boats?

~Anthony

Anthony1900sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Look down a few posts in this topic and speakerdude did and install on a 17' maybe give him post an see what he did?

alrightythen@iboatnw.com
3388sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Lt. JG

ok.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Lt. JG

UPDATE!

I guess this only helps if you own my type of boat. The Maxum ski boats.
So after alot of choices in towers I think I may have found the best one. Its called the slider. It is custome made by wakeair. I like it because the bars are fitting to the windows frame. No rattles, and it compliments the style of the boat. I think. So here is a picture of a 1800sr with the slider tower. My Maxum is a 1900sr. When I get the tower installed I will post the pics. For now here is the pic of the tower.

sweet hu!

I have to admit. After I bought my 1900sr I didnt like how it looked out of the water. I think its that deep hull. But this tower really made it look aggressive. Cant wait to see it in the water!

For info go to

www.wakeair.com tell them Anthony with the Maxum sent ya!

I would highly recommend this company for your Tower if your on the west coast.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Yep the tower makes tha boat look completly different - In a good way!
alrightythen@iboatnw.com
3388sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Just added a five blade prop. Called the High Five. 19 Pitch. Then today I see a bigger 5 blade prop. Now I should really stop spending money on this thing. But...

There is so many cool things I can still do. 8)

anyone here heard of the Maximus 5 blade?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Ensign

Default stay with hi5

warning anthony - stay with the hi5 prop. The Maximus, even if you could fit it to your drive, has such a large blade area it would blow your motor. Trust me, i know a little about merc props. If you have an Alpha drive and want pulling power, the High 5 is the end all to be all. I sell more high5's and 4 blade stainless props than most places on the west coast, so I know. With your boat the high 5 don't get no better!

enjoy!

OP

for everyone = ADDING A STAINLESS PROP OF THE RIGHT VARIETY IS LIKE ADDING A 200HP SHOT OF NITROUS TO YOUR CAR, BUT ITS CONSTANT, NO PUSHING A BUTTON!
AMEN!
Olympicparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I figured so. I did a little reading myself. Your exactly right. The HI 5 is the way to go, and it doesnt get any better. I just hope I dont hit anything. The guy told me that it could break. Ill just have to be really careful. Taking it out on Sunday for the first time with the new prop and tower. Im stoked! Ill post some pics of it when I get them. The guys over at wake air took some photos.

Thanks for the info Olympicparts 8)
Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Commander

That is a great looking tower Anthony!

I just bought my first Maxum (1800 SR-3) last weekend and took possession of it this past Tuesday. It has every option except the factory tower. So I ask the salesman "hey, how much for you guys to install the factory tower" and before I finished the question he was already shaking his head no. He went on to inform me that an aftermarket or even a factory tower will void all warranties on the boat and that even if I don't care about losing the warranties, the boat isn't made with the proper reinforcements that it would have coming from the factory.

What does anyone think of that? I'm more concerned about the gunwale integrity over the warranties.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Great to see people adding towers to their boats!

Anthony, Wakeair are great people, good quality and the guys know what they are doing.

You shouldn't need deck strengthening as you'll already have plenty, Wakeair may need to remove/file away a small flap of fibreglass that sits right in front of your glove box, but other then that a straight forward procedure.

racer2c - your dealer, with all due respect is lying or is lacking knowledge. Maxum offers a tower which is available through them or through the guys that build it for them
- XTP (www.xtremetowers.com)
You can install it yourself with minimal hassle in around 3 hours - costs about 1800-1900 bucks with shipping to US mainland. This tower will not and cannot void any warranties if fitted correctly by an XTP dealer or Maxum - it' their tower, its like putting a new Maxum decal on the side and being told it will void your hull warranty!!!

You can add other aftermarket towers such as Monster Tower (MonsterTower.com), they offer a solid product for around 1200 bucks. It is silent and totally stiff, plus a little easier to fit than the Maxum stock tower. The only thing it will void is your deck warranty if you get any cracking. Otherwise you will be totally fine - call maxum for reasurance. Or ask you dealer in what way it could possibly void.. say your engine warranty? or hull warranty.... haha some dealers make me chuckle...

Hope that helps,

Brit Rider
Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #11
Commander

That helps tremendoulsy Brit Rider! thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. 8)
Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Yeah wakeair knows thier stuff alright. I have been meaning to post some pics. I just got my digi so I will get on it. Been wakeboarding to much! 8)
Old 07-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
Lt. JG

OK I have some pix of the tower job. This is my boat. Let me know what you think!!

Notice how the tower bars match the window frame? I paid an extra $500 for just that. I think it was well worth it. All the other options for the tower would have made the boat look cheezy. But Im really happy with it. Just got a phat sack for the front of the boat. About 600 lbs of water go in it. Now the wakes are huge! Couldnt be happier. Oh yeah. One thing about the sun cover. I was told it wouldnt fit with my tower. BS! It does fit as you can see. Though to put it up it takes only one more step to do.
See the problem was when I wanted to put the cover up it was hitting the tower bars. Well its as simple as taking an allen key tool, loosin a set screw on each end, open the cover up and the tighten the set screw back. Wala! It works. I was told I would have to make a custom one at wake air. Not that they wernt telling me the truth, I dont think they knew. But they do now. Also I love the high 5 prop. really makes all the difference. This boat rocks!! 8)
Old 07-18-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
Commander

Love the tower man! I really like the way it follows the window line.

Does it have a bearing swivel? Is it aluminum or steel?

Is it wired for speakers/lights?
Did you have any glass work done to hide the brackets?

What was your total bill?

We're going to get one this winter. I'm looking at the XPT, although I diffinitly want my OEM bimini to work with it. I've been told not to go with aluminum but I've been reading that good 6063 is fine, but I'm also thinking of having it painted red to match my hull stripe.

What's your top end with your high 5?

I know, too many questions! :wink:
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
Lt. JG

I would be glad to answer those for you.

Q. Does it have a bearing swivel? Is it aluminum or steel?

A. Its Polished steel and it has swivels on 2 of the tips so I can fit it into the garage. It takes 2 people to do this though. It folds down towards the bow.

Q. Is it wired for speakers/lights?
Did you have any glass work done to hide the brackets?

A. Yes it is pre wired. Though the sound & lights will cost alot so that will have to wait until next year. No glass work done at all.

Q. What was your total bill?

A. $3100 including the tax and installation

Q. What's your top end with your high 5?

A. Good question! with about 6-8 people I can hit around 40-45MPH, but If I adjust the trim up a little I can get about 3-5 MPH more out of it. It really hauls ass with 5 people. Ive gotten it to 50MPh on a smooth lake surface. If its choppy forgetaboutit. 40 if Im lucky.

About the paint. Dont just paint it. Powder coat it if you do. I hear painting it isnt good because after a while it will crack and flake off. Making it look worn down after a little while. Polished usaully will look good on any color and will last a long time. Go with the steel. Its cheaper and adds some pounds to help you with your wake. We all know that small wakes suck ass!

I just got the phat sacks to help with that. 600lbs in the center of the boat and the wakes are huge! Def. the way to go. I see all these guys with thier $50,000-$60,000 wakeboard boats and I laugh at them. Mine cost me 20k and around 5k for all the extras and I can get just as much air as them. Not to mention the tower really makes the boat look great! Hope this helps.
~Anthony

Old 07-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #16
Commander

It helps tremendously!

Are the reinforcement brackets exposed on the inside of the gunwale?

Powder coating is an excellent idea and diffinitly the way I'd go.

It sounds like you're not losing much top end with that high 5. What pitch is it, i assume a 19? Interesting. I'm hesitant to go with a 19 as I still like to do 45/50 back to the marina. Maybe I'll try a 21. I have a 23 now and it sucks for wakeboarding. Mine has the 4.3 carbed. Do you have the V8?

The lake I boat on is bigtime wakeboarder lake. Dozens of Air Nautique, Mastercrafts, Malibu's, Tige, Centurian you name it. Two wakeboarding schools, three on the lake shops.
Most have six speakers on their towers, lights, the works. Diffinite boat envy going on with me.
I have five wakeboarders now who are getting to the point where they need the lift of a tower. Sure the direct drive boats with built in ballest, 425hp and color matched towers will continue to look down their nose at me (in the boats their daddies bought them) but like you said, at least I paid half the money and a stalefish is a stalefish on any rope.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #17
Lt. JG

Very true!

I have a 5.0 V8, carbed as well, and with that high 5 prop its like night and day. I really didnt lose to much top end at all. maybe 3-5 mph. Thats why Im so amazed with how the high 5 performs. When I want to jam Ill just trim the prop up a little and I take off. Especialy if you are having lots of people on the boat. I would start there. Its really worth the money.

What pitch did your boat come with? Whats your max RPM?

As for the reinforcement brackets they are not that big and do not show. Here are some pictures of them. I also took some pictures of the way the tower folds down.

TOWER FOLDED

SWIVEL

FRONT OUTSIDE MOUNT BRACKET

FRONT INSIDE MOUNT BRACKET

BACK INSIDE MOUNT BRACKET

So there it is. Nothing to it at all. You would think they would of had to use all this reinforcement so the fiber glass wouldnt break. But all the force is equally distributed between all 4 points. The tower seems really sturdy. I just have to make sure I check the bolts everytime I put it back up.

As for the prop.

Notice how Im pointing at the little black cap underneath the blade? That is a vent. There is one under each blade. You can tweak the way the exaust is vented out to achive the desired acceleration. The point is to vent the exaust out one of those to help the prop get to a higher rpm faster. Thus accelerating faster. I havent took any caps out yet on mine. The prop itself is good. But its nice to know I have that option.

And yes Ive hit the wall a few times :shock: opps!

I hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1900sr
Very true!

I have a 5.0 V8, carbed as well, and with that high 5 prop its like night and day. I really didnt lose to much top end at all. maybe 3-5 mph. Thats why Im so amazed with how the high 5 performs. When I want to jam Ill just trim the prop up a little and I take off. Especialy if you are having lots of people on the boat. I would start there. Its really worth the money.

What pitch did your boat come with? Whats your max RPM?

I hope this helps.
I have the 1800SR3, 4.3 V6 carbed. It's a month old. the dealer put the 23 pitch prop on it. Max RPM is 4600. With that pitch my boat easliy does 50 with a full boat of people on smooth water. But I'm willing to sacrafice 5mph to get better pull. She's a slug now when towing a boarder.
Where did you get your high 5?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Lt. JG

I got mine at a Maxum dealer. For me here its Brothers Boats. Tell your dealer you want the High5. Im sure they have the pitch your looking for. If you want to save a buck try ebay. But make sure its made by Mercury.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #20
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Racer,

23 Pitch is stock on the 3.0, all 4.3's and the 5.0.

Going to 21 would be a great leap for you but it may still bog a little. The 19 is the ideal prop for your boat... I used to run that exact setup.

Quote:
The lake I boat on is bigtime wakeboarder lake. Dozens of Air Nautique, Mastercrafts, Malibu's, Tige, Centurian you name it. Two wakeboarding schools, three on the lake shops.
Most have six speakers on their towers, lights, the works. Diffinite boat envy going on with me.
I have five wakeboarders now who are getting to the point where they need the lift of a tower. Sure the direct drive boats with built in ballest, 425hp and color matched towers will continue to look down their nose at me (in the boats their daddies bought them
Hey I bought my Super Air!! :wink: and don't think they are looking down their noses at you... they are different boats for different jobs at the end of the day. We don't drive tow boats.. we drive family, sports, crusing boats. The only thing a Nautique is built for is towing.

Once the chop gets to over a foot those boats are stuck doing 15-18mph tops... you can still floor it and even with 350HP stock motors.. they are still only pushing 45mph. Though when it is flat they handle beautifully and you wouldn't believe the wake that comes out of the back of some of them... now that is night and day.... and the interiors are considerably nicer than my BMW! I miss my SAN! ops: