Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
anw
Ensign

Default Volvo QL Trim small bowrider

Has anyone fitted the Volvo Penta QL trip system to a small bowrider? I have a Bayliner 185 with a Mercruiser 4.3 MPI and, like the Maxum 1800 SR3 seems to really stand on it's tail on holeshot. I need to keep the bow down on holeshot but then want to move the tabs right up once going to get a nice wake back for the kids' wakeboarding. I've tried Smart Tabs (40, 60 & 80) which keep the bow down but completely destroy the wake so are no good. Also, with people climbing in and out of the boat I wanted to avoid traditional trim tabs if possible due to the risk of someone standing on them. I liked the way the QL system mounted flat against the transom. I can see how the QL system would work when underway but am wondering how well they work from rest / holeshot. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks very much. Alan.

anw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Though not entirely relevant to your holeshot question I looked really hard at the QL's for my 2400 SC3 Alan, liked the concept and the helm interface. but had read many instances where they failed (of course read that other brands failed too) but more damning is the apparent lack of support from Volvo.

Regardless, I don't see why they wouldn't work, as they claim all the same benefits of traditional tabs in a differnet package. I wonder though, if your 185 is squating that much, have you looked into different props?

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Captain

hai alan

i googled on the internet and on i boats i found something from other people.....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=101173

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
anw
Ensign

Thanks very much for your replies. Yes, I too have read the forums re the reliability of the QL's. I understand this was apparently related to the "brain" of the system in early models. I have also spoken to dealers here who have fitted lots (but in large boats) and haven't experienced problems. But I must confess that I wonder why, if they are that good, why they are not better known. In reply to Dan's question about props, I am running a Mercury Revolution 17 pitch 4 blade S/S. It came without any PVS plugs and was venting too much. I fitted solid PVS plugs and it now bites and holds well. I spoke to the largest Bayliner retailer here in NZ who said the bow high attitude of the 185 with the 4.3 MPI was a characteristic of the hull so I ran with that information and looked to address that. Experimenting with props is difficult unless I could find someone with the same hull and engine combo that had the same problem and fixed it with a specific prop. To date I haven't found such a person!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Admiral

Looks like you'll be adding tabs Alan. Only other suggestions I have are -
1) Contact Prop Gods and explain your situation. Perhaps they can offer a recommendation. www.propgods.com
2) Check out the Bayliner Owners forum. You will likely be able to find someone else with a 4.3 powered 185. www.baylinerownersclub.org
3) Have a look at www.trailerboats.com. A group dedicated to trailed boats - and your 185 falls into that category.

Good luck,

Dan
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
anw
Ensign

Thanks Dan. Appreciate your direction.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Admiral

No worries, happy to add my 2 cents worth.

Do come back and let us know what you ended up doing and how it worked.

Dan