Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
Ensign

Default TV Antenna

Guys, First time on the forum and I hope I am doing this correctly. My first question has little to do with my Maxum 2800 SCR but thought I would ask. I want to install a TV antenna on my radar arch. I boat on the Chesapeake bay and was wondering if anyone can recommend an antenna?

MarkMaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard from another Bay boater.

I don't have a TV so I cannot recommend one but are you looking for satellite TV or local broadcast?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

Defender.com Search Results: marine tv antenna

Technically, you're looking for the highest 'gain' possible. Though, you may be able to take that with a grain of salt. Here is a good link to describe gain (and more than likely muddy the waters):

What is TV antenna signal gain?

Omni-Directional is going to be important, particularly if you intend to swing on a mooring or anchor while watching tv. Technically height is also going to be an issue as the broadcast signal is line-of-sight and a boat is typically as the lowest possible point on the horizon being at water level. An antennae mounted on a sailboat mast, or a post from a flylbridge will perform better than on the arch of an express. However that is certainly not to say that it won't work. Only that they may get better more consistent resolution and more channels than one mounted lower.

Consider an Apple TV. This can be coupled with an unlimited data plan on you phone. Turn your phone or device into a hotspot. Connect the AppleTV to your hotspot. now your phone or device is acting like a router. If you have DirectTV, Comcast or some other TV provider at home, then use your logon. For example, I can pull up any number of channels (e.g. Hulu, Netflix, HBO, History Channel, CBS News). Enter either your TV provider logon or your acct logon (hulu or netflix) and away you go. We were watching Game of Thrones on the anchor just the other weekend.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Shrew. I have done the streaming thing. May consider upping my data plan and go that route. In the meantime, if anyone has had any luck with any of the HD antennas, let me know.
MarkMaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Admiral

Mark ......I really comes down to your viewing area. For many years I was in a marina to where all I had was a Walmart HD antenna that sat up on the cabin shelf and I got 14 clear channels. The new marina that I am at I get 3 far out religious channels, so here comes the firestick to save the day. I was told I would need a 30 foot antenna to get a TV signal. Not going to do that so firestick it is..

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote