Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Trim Down not working

Have this problem when I press the switch the tilt the motor up or down all I hear is a click and nothing happens. If I hold onto the switch I can hear a very light sound of the motor trying to tilt up or down but it won't move.

rupertsilva10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

My tilt goes up and down so not the same problem you are having. My gauge jumps around and doesn't read properly. As mentioned here it is probably the sending unit or contacts.
what you have sounds like a ram issue or low hydraulic fluid (leak).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertsilva10 View Post
Have this problem when I press the switch the tilt the motor up or down all I hear is a click and nothing happens. If I hold onto the switch I can hear a very light sound of the motor trying to tilt up or down but it won't move.

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Commander

Rupert,
It's hard to say without digging a little deeper. Could be a couple things. First thing to rule out would be the solenoids. As you are hearing a click, you should have power, but those solenoids (it's the same as the slave solenoid in the ignition) get dirty contacts over time. Get out your multi meter and check if you are getting power on the switched side of the solenoid when you try to trim. Check out the manual here:http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/6/6b5r3.pdf If you have power going to the motor on both solenoids, you need to take apart the motor. I just had mine apart and the motor to pump o-ring has incorrectly installed, allowing moisture to get in and the lower bushing rusted to the shaft. Good luck.
-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Admiral

Rupert first verify 12V is getting to the trim pumps (Green/white wire for down and Blue/White wire for up). If no 12V then test solenoids, since they click I would suspect they are bad. If yes to 12V at the pump verify fluid level after that stuck rams on the outdrive after that stuck valves in pump body.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Thread Hijacking
When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread.

I've moved the post which hijacked the original thread along with the replies to it's own thread.

I agree with MMWJR. Incidentally, if you hear a loud 'CLICK' this shoudl be the gate on the solenoid closing. If that is the case, then you are getting 12V to the solenoid. If the gate is closing and still not actuating the trim pump, then it is more than likely the solenoid. One trick you can try is to 'click' the trim down on and off very, very, very quickly (30-40 times). The repeated 'clicking' can wear down or knock off the corrosion and it will start working again. This is a temporary fix and only confirms you need a new solenoid.

You could also place a jumper across the posts to complete the circuit and bypass the internal switch as well.
I had the exact same problem and a new set of solenoids (1 for UP, and 1 for Down) fixed the problem.
Just a few thoughts.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Ensign

Having almost the same issue with my 04' 3100 SE. STBD works fine on both throttle and "STBD TRAILER" dash toggle switch, PORT "bow down" works on the throttle; however no joy with PORT up on throttle or "PORT TRAILER" dash toggle. Figures that the port trim unit is a tight fit to get to. I did run and test jumper from the positive terminal to both GRN/WHT and then to the BLU/WHT motor lead terminal and the motor operates. Attempting to wiggle myself in there with two hand to check the fuses. Would I be correct [in hopes] that a simple fuse is blown?
IveGotPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Admiral

If it works in one direction and not the other or you are hearing the solenoids click the fuses are good.

If you are hearing the click and not working the solenoids are bad since you already verified the motor is good.

Mike
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Admiral

Does the unit not trim up? Does the trailer bottom trim it up?

If yes to both the trim limit switch is bad

Mike
Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Guessing yours looks something like this http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/i...49-8025_1_.jpg if it works in one direction and not the other you can usually rule out the pump itself.

IIRC there are 2 solenoids, one for up and one for down… they are almost identical to the old Ford starter solenoids and really do nothing more than relay the power from the up/down toggle to the tilt/trim motor taking the load off the rocker switch itself. The rocker switch essentially sends a “trigger” signal to the appropriate up or down solenoid, this closes the connection within the solenoid so it can utilize the larger leads connected to it, to actually power the tilt/trim motor in the respective direction.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V58C9IaoL.jpg

Sometime a little background into what and why helps trouble shoot things
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Ensign

@ Mike, Indeed both trim up and trailer up is not working. No click at all. @ Darren, that is exactly the model I have in the boat. A little Internet shopping time and a DIY project as I cannot stand others [mechanics] working on my toys. Thanks to both of you for the information.

"The difficult is done immediately, the impossible is done by appointment" ~ Dave
IveGotPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Admiral

Ok so no up works but down does. Fuses have to be good.

Check for 12 V at the blue/white small wire on the upper solenoid.

If there is 12 V then bad solenoid else need to check for helm switch.

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

You can check everything from the rear if you have a partner to engage the rocker (at the helm) for you. Sorry I don’t know the wire colors off hand but I can guarantee you ONE of the smaller ones sends the “trigger” signal to each the up and down solenoids respectively.

IF both the up and down triggers are there (present at the rear solenoids after actuation at the helm rocker switch, one each per solenoid “one up and one for down”) the helm switch is also fine. Just trying to help you narrow it down… I love wiring problems
Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradride View Post
You can check everything from the rear if you have a partner to engage the rocker (at the helm) for you. Sorry I don’t know the wire colors off hand but I can guarantee you ONE of the smaller ones sends the “trigger” signal to each the up and down solenoids respectively.

IF both the up and down triggers are there (present at the rear solenoids after actuation at the helm rocker switch, one each per solenoid “one up and one for down”) the helm switch is also fine. Just trying to help you narrow it down… I love wiring problems
The up low current trigger is the smaller gauge blue/white wire. Just remember Blue = sky (up) and Green = grass (down)
Same colors and function for high current pump wires.

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #14
Lt. Commander

Great analogy Mike Dang, we make a pretty good team
Old 07-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradride View Post
Great analogy Mike Dang, we make a pretty good team
Well with that sound system you installed I can hear you loud and clear.

Mike
Old 02-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Ensign

Same issue. Dwn works on the throttle but no Up. Using the trailer button both directions are working. Switch in the throttle maybe? If so how do you get to that thing?
I'm also getting water into the trim reservoir. Fluid is milky white.
Thank you in advance folks,
Mastermason1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #17
Captain

Almost a 6 year old post! You will be better off starting a new thread.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermason1965 View Post
Same issue. Dwn works on the throttle but no Up. Using the trailer button both directions are working. Switch in the throttle maybe? If so how do you get to that thing?
I'm also getting water into the trim reservoir. Fluid is milky white.
Thank you in advance folks,
Most likely the issue is a bad trim limit switch which is mounted on the side of the gimbal ring. It’s purpose is to prevent the drive from being trimmed up too much while operating the boat.

Mike
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #19
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Most likely the issue is a bad trim limit switch which is mounted on the side of the gimbal ring. It’s purpose is to prevent the drive from being trimmed up too much while operating the boat.
Thank you. I’ll check that out.

Mastermason1965 is offline   Reply With Quote