Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Trailer for 2900SCR

Hi Guys. Happy New Year to you all!

I am looking for a trailer for the 2900. Does anyone know where a good place to look is? I've done the google thing but it's not really helping. Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Admiral

Have you tried to see google for boat trailer dealers in your area? Also try boat sales in your area as they should be able to get trailers as well.

Additionally if you go to trailer manufacture sites they usually have a search for sales by ZIP.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Admiral

Call a few boat stealerships in your area. They will be able to point you to local trailer companies.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Admiral

double post
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Admiral

Cool

I have a 3000 which is a little bit bigger than your 2900 and when I was looking for a trailer I did this and had great results. Get on Craig lists and either the Tampa Bay area or southern Florida go to boats then type in triple axle trailer and you should get the mother load. It is possible to find a used one if your lucky. There are roughly 4 or 5 trailer manufacturers in these areas. Loadmaster is about the only trailer that isn't made in the Florida area that I would recommend. IMHO stay away from the venture brand. Cheap.

Price wise.... used around 3 or 4 grand ...new 6 or 7 grand. This is a triple axle aluminum trailer with disc brakes on at least one axle with springs and around the 15000 lbs capacity .

Also go over to [url]www.hulltruth.com and in their trailer classifieds is a lot of brand names to look for. Owens is a very reasonable priced trailer.

Hope this helps.
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Captain

SeaGar, so you trailer your 3000? How tall is it on trailer? Have you weighed it?

I might be borrowing a trailer for my 3000, and don't know my areal clearance.
What do you tow it with?
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Admiral

Kevin .....sorry to disappoint but what I found 6 years ago was a 1989 shorelander that I use to get from the marina to my winter storage barn a couple miles up the road. I borrowed a truck from my son to do this. Then to save money I started to shrink wrap and parked it outside at the marina where it was slipped. Didn't need it and sold it for what I paid for it 5 years ago.For me to go out and spend 6 or 7 grand on a trailer right now is just not cost effective. Did I mention my son just bought a used 2500 diesel / Allison transmission Chevy truck? He knows how to tease his dad...
Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Captain

Yea I don't plan to trailer it around, just to pull it out for maintenance and bottom jobs. Only need to go about 10 miles (All the closer boat ramps are too small. Including my private one on the property.)

I've got a dodge ram 2500, Cummins turbo, inline 6, with a manual transmission. Only thing I'm worried about is getting it up the ramp, the truck is 2 wheel drive.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
Admiral

When we bought our boat in Michigan we trailed it to central Illinois. I borrowed a friends triple axle aluminum trailerin which the maxum fit perfectly and the truck was another friend that this is what he did on the side was hauling with his ford 2500 4/4. He took care of all the permits and I took care of food and diesel and a oil change for his truck.The height with the arch was well below the 14 ft limit. It was a piece of cake.

Four wheel drive is nice but if your ramps are kept clean and are roughed up for traction you might not need it.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Yea I don't plan to trailer it around, just to pull it out for maintenance and bottom jobs. Only need to go about 10 miles (All the closer boat ramps are too small. Including my private one on the property.)
How long do you plan on having the boat hauled out for this type of maintenance? The reason I ask is, you can pay just about any marina for a 'short-haul'. They'll haul you with the boat lift, block you and put you on stands. Then you can do your work, then get relauched. They typically charge either by the hour or by the day. Around my area, the cost is typically $30-40 per day to sit on the hard. $100-$200 bucks once per year is going to be WAY cheaper than buying a trailer. Plus, if the intention is to bottom paint, then it is very difficult to paint a bottom on a trailer.

I would seriously reconsider what your intentions are and how you're going to go about it. Just my .02.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Captain

Never said I was buying one. I am borrowing one. Free is a lot cheaper than $200.

Besides, here its $350 for a haul/launch, plus $62.50 per day. That can add up real quick!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Admiral

A big ten four on the bottom paint ease. To clean and paint your bottom hull on blocks is so much easier than on a trailer.

I know cause I have done both. Spending the extra money might be worth it. Your back will thank you!

Roger
Old 01-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
Admiral

I agree with Roger as I have both as well. Trailers ends up with paint on it so who you borrow it from may not like that. Biggest issue is readjusting to paint rollers or bunks are just a big PIA to work around.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

I'm looking to sell the boat and I have someone interested but he has to have a trailer. I did the google thing but there was just so much stuff to dig through and I thought you guys might have a good source. Tampa area does sound good.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Never said I was buying one. I am borrowing one. Free is a lot cheaper than $200.

Besides, here its $350 for a haul/launch, plus $62.50 per day. That can add up real quick!
LOL, technically you never said "borrowing one" either. You said you were looking for one. I understand the old adage about assuming but DAMN!!!. We're not charging you by the word for a post. Don't be afraid to provide a little detail. LOL The replies throughout the thread were about buying used vs. new.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Captain

Not to beat a dead horse, but look at post 6. :-)

Where I will concede is that I hijacked someone else's thread, however it was on the same topic. :-)