Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Admiral

Default ThruHulls gettin old..

While waxing the boat this afternoon I was looking at the condition of my white plastic thruhulls and noticed they weren't in that great of shape.

I have a 2001 3000 scr and I am curious if any of you folks have tackled something like this as far as replacing them.

I have been told the hard part is matching the hole size.

They ones that I would like to do first are the group of 4 on the starboard side aft quarter.

I do have all the part numbers thru custom care website, in which I was freckin amazed, but the picture only shows 3 thruhulls.

Comments???

Thanks

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Captain

Roger, I really want to change mine to stainless...they look so much nicer. Just afraid there will be one or two that will be a real bear to get too.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Admiral

Yeah Max I thought about that too, but like you I might not be able or have access to some parts ...so keep them the same. Now I got to find a small midget with marine experience to get to these in the engine compartment :-)

Roger
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Admiral

Funny I was thinking the same about mine. The aft ones don't look to hard to replace and my midship will require removing te frig to get at. Not sure I will do it this year but I found all my sizes in plastic at West Marine, they also have a new stainless line that I want to check out.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
Captain

And......like everything else on these d&mn maxums, removal of the actual thru hull will be challenging I bet. They loved their 4200 and 5200!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Admiral

Brain storm.....If someone made an insert for these thruhulls that has a little lip on the outside that you glue on the outside and shove it in and looky....I fixed it.

And come in different sizes... ain't asking for tooooo much ...

Roger
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
Captain

Roger......I like the way you think!!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Brain storm.....If someone made an insert for these thruhulls that has a little lip on the outside that you glue on the outside and shove it in and looky....I fixed it.

And come in different sizes... ain't asking for tooooo much ...

Roger
Interesting but if the plastic is bad how good of a bond would the insert get?
From what I have read they fail just inside the flange.

Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
And......like everything else on these d&mn maxums, removal of the actual thru hull will be challenging I bet. They loved their 4200 and 5200!!!
That's not Maxum specific. This entire discussion applies to all boats. I have been procrastinating on mine as well. It's a 2 person job. One guy gets to be on the inside and the guy on the outside gets to do the caulking. A spanner wrench is helpful for the guy on the inside. You should be able to use a deck key for the exterior portion of the through-hull fitting.

I'd use either 4000 or 4200. 4000 is just UV preotected 4200. If it gets sun, and is above waterline, I use 4000.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
That's not Maxum specific. This entire discussion applies to all boats. I have been procrastinating on mine as well. It's a 2 person job. One guy gets to be on the inside and the guy on the outside gets to do the caulking. A spanner wrench is helpful for the guy on the inside. You should be able to use a deck key for the exterior portion of the through-hull fitting.

I'd use either 4000 or 4200. 4000 is just UV preotected 4200. If it gets sun, and is above waterline, I use 4000.
Agree.

Hey if you all want to come down the ICW to me we can help each other out and I will but the beer

Mike
Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
Ensign

Roger, we are new owners of a 1998 3000 SCR.... we are in the process of replacing all of them. We had a few break off when i was washing the boat (and they were replaced). Henceforth, we decided to bit the bullet do all of them. We did find some good looking stainless capped thrhulls that were much less expensive than the full stainless ones.

We are also in the process of making many improvements.

I hope this helps.
tom
tomkwsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Admiral

tom welcome aboard. Do you have part numbers and source for the new thru hulls? Any picture to post of them?

Mike
Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Admiral

Yes Ditto on that !

Roger
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Roger, I really want to change mine to stainless...they look so much nicer. Just afraid there will be one or two that will be a real bear to get too.
Hi all.

I have just purchased a year 2000 3000 SCR which is in pretty good shape for the engines and seats and canvas. Down below is OK, but there is a list of little things including pumps and battery charger that need replacing. One of the items on my survey list is to replace the cracked plastic thru hulls (with stainless, was what I was thinking). The parts catalog shows 5 off 1 1/4, 7 off 3/4 and 1 off 1 1/8" fittings. The West Marine stainless fittings were about $25 apiece for the 3/4", IIRC, so not an inexpensive repair to do it in the best way.

I will be taking the boat into the shop for them to pull the drives and make sure everything there is kosher, and I have asked him about replacing the thru hulls.

I will let you know how that turns out.

Jon
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Admiral

Exclamation

Thanks Jon!

Boating mag had a neat little home made puller setup for pulling out the thru-hulls out with ease.

Disconnect the hose inside end and with a big washer with a long enough bolt to go all the way outside with a nut attached,

you then have three small blocks ( around 4" X 4" ) that two are up again the hull next to the thru hull opening and the third has a hole drilled thru for the bolt to go thru

With the third block sitting on top of the other two blocks up against the hull then take the rachet on the nut and go to town and your thru -hull will pop out.

Definitely a two person job!

Roger
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Boating mag had a neat little home made puller setup for pulling out the thru-hulls out with ease.
Roger
Well, thanks Roger! Isn't that a handy idea? Real easy puller. I would attempt it if I knew for certain that I wouldn't have to adjust the thru hull hole sizes because I had switched equipment... maybe I will anyway.

I'm going over to the yard next week. This weekend is booked for me. I have to replace the battery charger, anchor light, generator water hose, shower drain and sump pump, oh - and look at the thru hulls...

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #17
Admiral

Jon......glad I can help. I'm going save this for a half do this fall and the other half in the spring.

Cheers back at ya!

Roger
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #18
Ensign

Well, my thru hull changes have not even started yet. I got the boat back from the yard after they changed both drive UJ's. I'm guessing that the folks who brought it over didn't tie down the outdrives. A nice $2500 later. Anyway... I found these thru hulls that appear to be "new" and made in USA. Cast SS. Anyone had experience with these? TIA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-1-4-Ho...3D150900724444
Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Admiral

I looked on Amazon and see roughly the same price which is as 1/2 of West Marine. The Amazon says it is made in USA so less change of counterfit material.

The only unknow is how pure 316 it is.

Mike