Old 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Commander

Default Through Transom Holes...The Drilling Begins...

I finally broke down and bought a set of Bennett trim tabs (M80 Sport). I have confidence in my mechanical abilities but the thought of that first hole into the transom makes me break out in a sweat. I hear that it's the first one that hurts...after that it's cake. So with this system, 2 holes are through the transom to accommodate the hydraulic line. The remaining holes that secure the actuators and the tabs themselves do not penetrate through the transom. Of course measuring twice (or in my case a dozen times) and drilling once is good measure...and of course drilling pilot holes. Any other tips? I read elsewhere that some recommend using a recess bit to help thwart spider cracks. Also, is the 3M 5200 the standard sealant I should use?

Thanks!

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Through Transom Holes...The Drilling Begins...

bevle the outside of the holes so that the gelcoat won't crack...also don't use 5200...that's a permenant sealant..use 4200 ...that will hold and can be removed if necessary....also use masking tape to prevent the drill from walking around or making stray marks...

SP irate:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
bevle the outside of the holes so that the gelcoat won't crack...also don't use 5200...that's a permenant sealant..use 4200 ...that will hold and can be removed if necessary....also use masking tape to prevent the drill from walking around or making stray marks...

SP irate:
Thanks...I knew I could count on you!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

What model boat are they going on racer? Are you trying to solve a particular problem?

I think I need to add them to my 2400 SC3 to correct a list to starboard.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
What model boat are they going on racer? Are you trying to solve a particular problem?

I think I need to add them to my 2400 SC3 to correct a list to starboard.

Dan
I have a lil' 18' bowrider. List is a big issue with guests aboard. If someone sneezes to the port or starboard side, I have to correct for it! Getting up on plane fast in the shallow Gulf water I boat in is also going to be a plus, but mostly I'm hoping to get my bow down in 2'-3' chop to smooth things out a bit. It's my understanding that tabs will help in all applications.
When I'm heading out of the canal towards the channel, I'm amazed to see how many boats up on lifts have tabs, most of them factory tabs. So if the factories are installing them...