Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Thoughts on '95 3200SCR

Hi folks, always wanted to get into boating and after 6 months of looking, found what I think a pretty good deal....A '95 3200SCR. The owners had the boat sold late last year and the buyer fell through. Would it be wise to trust a Survey done in Nov 09? I would think so as the boat has been wintered and in dry storage since then. Anything I should be leary of? I understand that no one wants to speak ill of there babies, but honestly what should I look out for? The 5.7's have almost 800 hours on them but were recently shopped. What is a normal life expectency of these before it becomes cost prohibitive to maintain them? Otherwise the boat was well cared for, serviced regularly with records to back it up. BTW, I am paying $16K for the boat plus about another grand to have it delivered, I think I am getting a pretty good deal. Any thoughts?

BTW, the community here looks great, lurking around a bit and got alot of great info. Going to take a bit to learn the ropes as I am still new to boating. Thanks!

Innov8iveConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Glad to have you aboard I8C, congrats on the purchase!

The boat is a '95 and has 800 hrs on the engines and drives. I've read that normal life is from 1500 to 2000 hours but, like anything else they could go longer or......, or not. Difficult to say for sure as you can't really get inside to look around. But, given their age and time, I'd be inclined to have at least compression and leak down tests performed as those will give you an idea of the condition of the internals. Unfortunately, you're more apt to have problems with the externals - namely the exhaust manifolds/risers - and there's no real way of checking those without taking them apart. Other externals as well, water circulating pumps, raw water pumps, fuel pumps, etc-etc.

Checking the rest of boat is comparatively easy!

Best of luck,

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Admiral

Red face

ditto what dan said...first off..welcome to the zoo...second off..pay the extra and get a full up mechanical and hull survey....engines will last pretty much forever if they are taken care of and what kind of water it is in...meaning salt water will greatly reduce the time of engine life...and fresh will not be a bad thing...so...get it surveyed and have from the manifolds to the drives checked....alot can go wrong at that end...also have the bellow's/coupler/u-joints/shift linkage particularly looked at....
here's to you getting a great boat with little headaches...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Ensign

See, all that was checked out in Nov in a Marine survey. The boat was "sold" and the buyers requested the survey before Thanksgiving....AT THE OWNER'S EXPENSE. Turns out after everything passed, those buyers stated that they no longer had the money and cancelled the sale. The owners then removed it from the broker and put it up for a private sale. I just happened to stumble upon a family friend that knows these folks and they are willing to take what they owe the bank so they don't have to pay Marina fees this year for a boat 2000 miles away from them. I am going to look at the boat later on this week to get a feel. It has everything that we were looking for in a boat except a Generator, but looking around and from what I hear, it is relatively painless, or as painless as a boat can get to put an internal generator in.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Ensign

BTW they have all the maintance records for this, like clockwork, oil changes, zincs, bi-yearly paint....all done by their marina at an average cost of $4300 per year (yikes). Labor in VA sure seems to cost alot more than up here in Buffalo.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Admiral

I'd still get a survey.. trust ...but verify!

..but that's just me...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
Captain

Innov8ive, I purchased a 94 3200SCR last spring, get the survey and mechanicals checked and buy that sucker!!! We have had excellent luck with ours and enjoy it every weekend....

P.S. I have some pics in an album and would be glad to help answer any questions.....jesse
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Ensign

I have a Survey setup for next week, I want to do this the right way....the owners were hesitant of the possibilty of being yanked around again, they were apparently didn't want to pay for a survey. They were better when I told them that I would cover the survey. I would imagine that the buyer is responsible for a survey just like a homebuyer's responsible for a home inspection. Really excited, can't wait to get her back home to do a little "tweaking" before summer.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Admiral

Since they have all the records, and the survey was just done, should be close to a slam dunk. Compare the engine hours from the old survey to the new one.

Where in Va is it I8C? I'm in Va as well, near Washington DC. If it's at a nearby marina I'd be happy to swing by and have a look at it for ya.

Dan
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Ensign

Its in Portsmouth, I am going to be in DC tomorrow for a week and plan on going to see the boat and be there for the Survey. I don't imagine any problems as the engines have 2 hours more than the Survey.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Admiral

Sounds like a plan.

Good luck to ya, let us know how it goes. And we love pictures. LOL

Dan
Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Ensign

Got the survey done! Went through the inspector yesterday, noted a few minor things, but nothing major....Actually the boat was in better shape than I expected! I'll try posting a few pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Admiral

Fantastic, gotta love when a plan comes together! Have ya signed all the papers?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
Ensign

Yep, now trying to get the boat back here. Anyone have an idea how tall this is? I wonder if I am going to need to remove the radar arch for road transport.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #15
Admiral

well...my 340 came on a roller trailer about 50 mi.......so..if yours is smaller than my 340...you should be good to go..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #16

Congradulations Cappy on your new boat! Regarding the trailerablility limitations, I do all my own towing of my 3300SCR on it's triple axle all aluminum gooseneck trailer and Super Duty Ford F-350 Dually 4x4. Note that I do not have to remove the forward swept radar arch (the 3200SCR is rear swept) HOWEVER I do have to remove all the items on top of it such as the the open Furuno radar aray, GPS / XM antenna and everything else to keep the overall road height under 13' or else a bridge will likely remove it for you. Best thing to do is measure the boat according to the state(s) oversize trailering permit application to confirm that you will pass under and through your intended route unhindered. I would highly reccomend getting your permit in any case because it gives you peace of mind that you won't detroy you new boat in the process of moving her.

Enjoy that new boat!
Bella Sera-
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #17
Captain

This is how I had Bix Max transported.......jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Big Max Arrival 1.jpg   Big Max Arrival 4&#4.jpg   Big Max Arrival 3&#4.jpg   Big Max Arrival 2&#4.jpg   Big Max Arrival 5&#4.jpg