Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default The Dumbest Thing a Boat Owner Can Do

Well I'm an idiot. This weekend I (by far) pulled the most rediculous stunt a boat owner can pull. And now I have to pay for it.

Saturday Morning we were in the middle of Family Hell Weekend (where you do the dumb thing of inviting family and all the kids to destroy your boat and cause you stress) I was leaving my marina to head to the cabins and campground where the family was staying.

On the boat we had our shirttail relations who own a 29 footer next to us and are our "normal" boating friends. They to are related (his sister married my brother -which makes us nothing) but we decided to take just one boat to pick up the family before heading back for his boat and the jetski's.

Nevertheless I was cruising across open water at about 35 mph, hand on a cold drink having a nice conversation with my buddy. When all of a sudden I felt compelled to say the following words.......

"Man Tate, I've got to tell you. "After getting the prop fixed, paint done, and all the maintenance done she is running better than ever."

Well as any boater knows there is just NO REASON to ever say such a stupid thing. Hell 7 years ago I made the mistake of calling my wife her mother and was probably not as dumb as this.

2 hours later while parking in a cove, just like I was counting on I lost all reverse in my port engine. Now I will carry on a discussion of this in the engine category - this is just a reminder thread for anybody even considering being happy with their boats performance.....

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Too funny, Tackleshep! Only a fellow boat owner can appreciate that kind of irony. Swear to God; many of you folks contributing to this forum missed your calling, you should be writing for comedians!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Just to be clear:

I'm not saying the worst thing could have happened or life couldn't be worse. Obviously a horrible incident like Sea Puppy had or many other things are much much worse. But those are all horrible accidents that the only way to avoid them were to completely choose a different path.

This was not an accident, not an error in steering or how to captain a boat. This was just me pissing on the foot of the sea gods and them putting me back into my rightful place as a lowly piss ant who mearly exists at their whim!!
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Admiral

HAHAHAHA.....how I know this one.....once we were planning our first trip on the boat.....our 2455..(pos boat)...we loaded the boat up....got put in the water....started the engine....put it gear and felt it go chunk!!!....the shift cable broke...

now all that week..we'd been planning..braggin...making people at work want to kill me....and the shifter broke...dead...couldn't go in fwd or reverse...

the gods have a way of making you feel stoooooopid......in a big way...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote