Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Swing Mooring

Hi All
First post so be gentle I've got a 1999 2300sc and looking to launch for the first time next week, I'm going to be leaving her on a swing mooring off the coast of Anglesey, Red Wharf Bay to be exact, and it does get a bit rough around there. I've just fitted 2 8" cleats with 8mm thick 9" steel plates for backing, hoping that's going to be strong enough to hold? anyone else got any suggestions caveats etc?
Thanks in advance

carn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Have you talked to others who moor there fir there advice?
Use as much line as you can but be sure she cannot swing into any neighboring boats or other things such as shallow water.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
Admiral

Don't use a cleat, use the bow eye. Typically you never want to add any line to a mooring ball. The line attached to the ball is the same as the others in the field and they are measured to prevent contact between boats.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Ensign

Smile

Thanks for the replies, I bought the tackle off a guy who was retiring from boating and he had a 32 footer moored on it for years so I'm pretty confident that the mooring itself is up to the job and that I'm not going to swing into any neighbours. I was thinking of using the front eye to tie on with but I can't actually reach it while I'm on the boat so reckon it would be nigh on impossible to get a line on if it got a bit choppy which is why I'm going to use the cleats, I'm hoping the extra plating will take the strain, fingers crossed
Old 06-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #5
Ensign

Oh and it dries out as well so she'll be sitting on the sand between tides (nice soft sand bed)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

The padeye on the bow will be difficult to reach for picking up and dropping a mooring. Reinforcing the cleats with backing plates is a great idea. You should be able to lift the boat by the backed cleats with a crane at this point. you'll have no issues on a mooring.

Make sure to use chafe guards on the lines where they run over the gunnels. Cheaper to abrade and replace a chafe guard than replace a line or a boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, although I don't think I'll be testing the crane theory launching on Saturday, another quick question, any thoughts on stopping it rolling to one side when the mooring dries out? we will want to sleep on it now and again (as it is right next to the pub) so I could see that giving us a pretty uncomfortable nights sleep and all tide moorings are like rocking horse doo doo in Anglesey. I have thought about beach legs but they seem quite a faff to install
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carn View Post
T...any thoughts on stopping it rolling to one side when the mooring dries out?
That is a somewhat unique problem. I have no idea how to address that and quite frankly the whole idea scares me a little.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Admiral

Why not attach a short Painter to the bow eye and tie it off to the cleat when not in use?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Ensign

Actually no need to prop it up when it dries out, put it on the mooring yesterday and it sat up straight on the sand, sunk in just enough to support itself on the sand ��