Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Steers Like a Truck

Our recently purchased 2000 1800xr (outboard) is a workout at the wheel. I understand cable steering is often sort of difficult - and I really have nothing to compare it to as it's our first, but sure would like to lighten it up a little.

It's in the shop this week getting a "new owner" going over and if there's a fix this would be a great time to make it happen.

BTW, it's a Merc 115 EFI 4 Stroke.

Any tips?

Thanks.

vettestrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Admiral

That's a heavy outboard to steer by cable have you considered a sea star hydraulic system?

Are you have shop look at the steering while it there?

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks, Mike, for your response. Yes, I have asked the shop to look at the steering but have not considered any replacement system.

I'll discuss it with them ...
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I recently purchased a very similar boat: 2000 Maxum 1800xr with a Merc 125 o/b with cable steering. I also find that turning the boat requires some effort. I have nothing to really compare it to, other than driving friends boats with nothing much in common. I have also wondered if there is a way to improve the ease of steering. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BrianNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Ensign

Just spoke with the shop servicing our 1800xr and they had already determined that the steering was "more difficult" than it should be. They will pull the cable, inspect and lubricate then reinstall and 'trim' so the wheel is centered.

Guess that's the best possible 'fix' short of a new system that's beyond this that's budget.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind offering an estimate for this work ? I am curious as I may have to look into the same servicing for my boat.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Admiral

lubing the steering cable and guide tube is considered normal maintenance, there is typically a grease fitting on the motor end of the cable.

Mike
Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Is there specific lube I should be using ? If so could you recommend.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
Admiral

When you get your manual it should call it out. However quicksilver 2-4-C is good for this.

Mike
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNeil View Post
Thanks for sharing. Would you mind offering an estimate for this work ? I am curious as I may have to look into the same servicing for my boat.
Sure - happy to share. Just give me a couple minutes to regain consciousness after seeing the bill. Boat should be done in a day or two.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNeil View Post
Okay, here's the damage report:
1. Remove steering cable, clean, grease and adjust - $95
2. Replace air filter labor was part of svc, but filter was $101
3. 100 Hour (my motor is a 2008 Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke) - $500

100 Hour Svc included:
Inspect anodes
Check batteries
Check for any leakage
Check cowling clamp
Check engine starting condition, idle speed and for any "noises"
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace gear lube
Replace primary and boat-mounted fuel filters
Replace air filter
Grease/lube
Inspect/adjust power trim and tilt unit
Inspect prop, prop nut, cotter pin (replaced), paint skeg
Replace spark plugs
Inspect pilot water indicator and water intake gates
Inspect timing belt
Inspect control box and control leakage
Inspect wire harness connections
Replace water pump
Check systems
Service clean

Hope this helps. This guy was our mechanic back in our "big boat" days (which probably explains how he earned his new shop and several employees) and he was always competitive.

Outboard service costs are new to me but I used to pay about the same amount for each inboard V8 engine back then.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #12
lee
Ensign

Ouch,
We purchased a 1992 2100SR , I/O, about 6 years ago. The previous owner took immaculate care of it, as well as shopped around for best mechanic prices. He passed along that info as well as all records to me when we purchased it. I took it to the cheaper lone mechanic for 3-4 yrs. But started as he did less hours at his shop approaching retirement, I started doing more myself. Being mechanically inclined I decided to try different things and as long as you follow a book and take your time, you too could save yourself a ton of money. I do own plugs, oil changes, winterizing, replaced carpeting last year. Just follow repair books, ask questions, go to free seminars, read, Google, reverse engineer, use common sense, and most of all, use your boat! It will run much better if you use it more often!!
Happy boating!
Lee
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Ouch,
We purchased a 1992 2100SR , I/O, about 6 years ago. The previous owner took immaculate care of it, as well as shopped around for best mechanic prices. He passed along that info as well as all records to me when we purchased it. I took it to the cheaper lone mechanic for 3-4 yrs. But started as he did less hours at his shop approaching retirement, I started doing more myself. Being mechanically inclined I decided to try different things and as long as you follow a book and take your time, you too could save yourself a ton of money. I do own plugs, oil changes, winterizing, replaced carpeting last year. Just follow repair books, ask questions, go to free seminars, read, Google, reverse engineer, use common sense, and most of all, use your boat! It will run much better if you use it more often!!
Happy boating!
Lee
Having just purchased this boat I had 'zero' history to refer to. Inasmuch as outboards are new to me, I took it to my previous mechanic and feel confident now I have a 'fresh start' with an engine I know is sound. I'm doing the same with the trailer.

That said, your DIY approach brings back good memories of my buds and I working on our boats when we were young. Crawling around bilges, doing our own electronics - your first big hole thru the haul to install a transducer! Fun stuff for those with less miles under their keels.

Thanks for the memories.