Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Starboard List

Hi all - I recently purchased a Maxum 2400 SC3 - just a couple of years old, and on our early trials have found that the hull sits with a very pronounced list only when on the plane in a moderate to strong sideways wind. Otherwise she sits perfectly level.

From various discussions locally, it appears this is quite a normal thing and, with the Maxum sitting so high out of the water and low front weight, she may be more prone than some other makes/models.

Of course I have been given a huge amount of advice on how to tackle the matter. I am very much aware of the weight distribution factor, and I have checked the stern and all fittings appear to be perfectly straight and perpendicular.

I am considering the possibility of having Bennet Trim Tabs fitted. From my (not too experienced) point of view, these would give me the ability to correct for level trim under any weather conditions that I may encounter, which can be extremely variable in the area I use it, but I believe would also allow the boat to get on to, and stay on, the plane at lower speeds which should overall create some level of fuel economy ?

I would very much appreciate any advice, suggestions, or even just comments and opinions, whether in agreement or not :!: :!: :!:

Many thanks

"Snooper"
Investigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Starboard List

Hi Investigator
I have had bennett trim tabs in all 3 of my boats and they are definitely worth the efforts to have them fitted...might also concider the auto trim tabs set up...it automatically adjusts the boats trim once you turn them on...I had them installed on my 2700 scr and they were awesome....boat got up on plane faster and stayed level thru out the ride....I'm thinking of installing them on the new boat...sure is worth it.....

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Hi and thanks for your comments, and I have been looking at the Smart Tabs !

Just one point though to be sure I understand all this stuff as much as possible.

My understanding was that the auto trim tabs were excellent for eliminating porpoising and creating a good plane ride, but I thought that they would not be so good for controlling listing caused through strong side winds, and therefore manual trims were necessary to correct whichever side needed the lift ?

"Snooper"
Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Admiral

wrong....they will adjust lean and bow angle...you set the tabs at where you want the boat to stay...the computer with the accelerometers will keep it there..if you get hit with a high wind and start to lean...the tabs will engage and reset the boat...almost instantly...

as for smart tabs..your boat is too big for them and it won't be able to help..you need hydro/electric tabs to hold the boat in the correct position your wanting it to stay at..

SP :mrgreen:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Excellent - thanks for the info

"Snooper"