Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Speedometer

Speedometer just randomly stopped working while out on the water the other day. I have a 2001 Maxum 2500 SCR. Anyone have any quick fix ideas I could try before really having to dig in? I've heard sometimes there is a water inlet that can become clogged and can be simply unclogged and you back in business. Is this true for my boat? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

brineair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

There should be a small pickup tube in the outdrive. sometimes it needs to be reamed out. Do you have a GPS? They are more accurate.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for the quick response Shrew! I will look into the pickup tube. I do not have a GPS built into the boat. Just my phone. Eventually I will get one though. Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Captain

Are you take on water in your bilge? If so your tube may have come undone.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Admiral

IMO the tube most likely came off. Raise the drive about half way, the tube will be on the forward side between where the front of the trim cylinders mount. Push the tube back onto the plastic nipple.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Are you take on water in your bilge? If so your tube may have come undone.
This may be me not knowing what I'm talking about exactly, but I'm not sure if I'm taking water on in the bilge anymore than I normally would while being in the water. By this I mean my bilge will empty water from the boat every so often while we are in the water. Maybe every 10-15 minutes.

Is this tube you are referring to on the outdrive or inside the engine compartment?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
IMO the tube most likely came off. Raise the drive about half way, the tube will be on the forward side between where the front of the trim cylinders mount. Push the tube back onto the plastic nipple.

Awesome! I think you answered a previous question I just asked Phillbo. Thank again guys for all you help. I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brineair View Post
This may be me not knowing what I'm talking about exactly, but I'm not sure if I'm taking water on in the bilge anymore than I normally would while being in the water. By this I mean my bilge will empty water from the boat every so often while we are in the water. Maybe every 10-15 minutes.

Is this tube you are referring to on the outdrive or inside the engine compartment?
You shouldn't be taking on water underway. Especially to where the pump turns on every 10-15 minutes!
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
You shouldn't be taking on water underway. Especially to where the pump turns on every 10-15 minutes!
Oh yeah. It isn't taking on water underway. Only while sitting anchored, or not running in other words.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Captain

You should never take on water. If your bilge pump is cycling on every 10 minutes you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Have the bellows looked at by a professional.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote