Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Question Sounds like second bilge pump in '97 2300 and will not stop running.

Hello,

Some help please in trying to figure out if the small motor-like sound coming out of the middle of the boat under the front seats, and that keeps on running might not be an auto bilge pump (not the one in the bilge in the engine compartment--I understand that Maxums 2300 and higher have two bilge pumps--correct me if I am wrong). There is no water being expelled. If that's what it is, how do I get to it to replace it or check whether the flap is stuck. Thanks.

Bond1000

Bond1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Are there 2 switches on the dash for bilge pumps ? My 97 2300 only had the one pump.

It sounds more like the water pressure pump? Is the switch at the galley turned on or off ?

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Default "97 Maxum water pump not aoto bilge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Are there 2 switches on the dash for bilge pumps ? My 97 2300 only had the one pump.

It sounds more like the water pressure pump? Is the switch at the galley turned on or off ?
f
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Ensign

Default "97 Maxum water pump not auto bilge pump

Quote:

f
Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for reply. I was just guessing that there might be two bilge pumps. If your boat only has one, mine cannot be different. No, there is only one switch on the dash for the bilge pump. If you mean the switches at the panel in the galley, they are all off. When I switch the battery master switch at the stern shower compartment the sounds goes off, as it should. The noise does not seem to come from the engine compartment. Would not the water pressure pump be located there, or we talking about some other water pressure pump, and where would I find it. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Captain

sounds like your battery charger fan running....

turn battery switch to off, and see if it goes away.

battery charger will run when it feels like it, and you can hear it in the cabin.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Admiral

If it's the charger fan it should only run when the boat is plugged in to shore power.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
If it's the charger fan it should only run when the boat is plugged in to shore power.
c
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Ensign

Well, I had a look at the battery charger. It does not seem the sound is coming from it. In any case the boat is not plugged into shore power. The battery charger charger switch is off.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Admiral

Is your water tank full or empty? Do you get water pressure when you turn on the faucet without flipping any switches?

My 2300 did not have a breaker panel in the galley. You plug it in and the battery charger came on.. Is this a 2300 SC you are talking about?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Lieutenant

maybe what you are hearing is the shower sump motor. Pour some water down the shower drain and see if it pumps.
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Admiral

there should be one bilge pump in the engine bay under the engine....another under the stairs...and the shower sump under the stairs also....if you have only one switch on the dash that says bilge..or aft bilge and fwd bilge...then you have one for each..if you only have one sw..then you only have 1 pump...(might concider tossing in another one fwd)...
the shower sump has a float sw. that maybe stuck..had that happen on my maxum..had it replaced and we never had a problem...however it maybe stuck with clogged hair..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Admiral

I don't think he has a shower sump. or even a head for that matter . The '97 2300 SC I owned was a cuddy.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Admiral

well..he's got something running down there..check below the stairs or deck....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #15

All Good Advice. Shut off shore power and see if the sound still persists. If so, you've narrowed it down to a 12V device. Conversely, you could set the battery switch to OFF and turn on shore power and all the circuits. If the sounds persists it's a 110V device. If you have a water tank, make sure it's full and turn the water on and off. You should hear teh water pump cycle on and off. If so, while it's off if the sound still persists, it's not the freshwater pump.

Take a look at the shower sump pump and make sure that is also turned off. The switch should be in the head. It is a red, lighted switch however the switch bulb might be dead. If it's a 12V device and not the water or shower sump, then I'd suspect it's the bilge pump.

Bilge pump problems could be a dash switch turned on, or a float switch that is stuck. It could be a weak pump that can't handle the vertical rise from the pump to through hull discharge outlet. Maybe there is no check valve and the amount of water drops enough to shut off the float switch, then the water in the discharge hose (if there is vertical lift) backflows back into the bilge and refloats teh float switch. Though if this were the case it would be more like short-cycling the pump (on and off and on and off very quickly over and over again.

Pull deck hatches and look around. If it's an electrical device, it will be accessible for repair/replacement. You just haven't found it yet.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Admiral

I think we need to nail down the specs of the boat. My old 2300 was a cuddy. I had only 2 pumps, the bilge and the water pressure pump.

Did they make a 2300 with a head?

He mentioned a 'panel' in the galley area so maybe there was something added ???
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

WE can only speculate if the information isn't provided. I'm not going to spend an hour researching ALL specs to narrow down scope as a result of omitted information. I throw out possibilities and let the OP ignore that which doesn't apply. If he doesn't have a head, or a head with a shower, then he can easily disregard a shower sump. SOMETHING is running. No matter what the size of the boat, there are a finite number of possible 'somethings' it could be.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Ensign

Guys, Very sorry to have kept you busy. I finally figured it out. My grandson was playing in the galley and the turned on the water pump switch. Someone had suggested that possibility but it did not occur to me because I don't use the sink o rthe potty at all. I did not even know that there was a water pump switch. Any way, much obliged for your comments. Y'll take care.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Captain

the switch is suppost to light up when its on, so you can put a new switch in for $4 bucks.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote