Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Smart Tabs on Larger Boat

Well after lots of looking online and finding close to nothing on installing Smart Tabs on a boat larger than 19 feet bit the bullet and installed them on ours !!! We have a 2001 Maxum 2300 SR bowrider overall length right at 24 feet and weighing about 4200 lbs. Engine is a Merc 5.7 250 HP Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive and 15.5 X 17 aluminum prop. The outdrive had the Overtons fins installed. This boat is on the cusp of installing helm adjustable tabs but I know for a fact I don't want to have to monkey around with manual ones constantly for much of what we do (stop and go) and if the wife or kids take the wheel. Mainly lake use and occasional dips in the Intercoastal waterway. This boat really does not have any big issues with the ride but I am trying to do all I can to let the wifey who has a bad back still enjoy boating The hopeful results will be an improvement in porposing and crossing other wakes and while trimmed up a little, plane time and being able to cruise at a slower speeds (less engine noise). Top speed and RPM is about 43 to 45 and about 4700 Rmp before tabs and with little fins on drive. I installed Tabs P/N: SX10512-90 and retractor kit P/N PR500. Bought this from Anchor Express for about $175 total. Shipping was super fast and the cheapest. The kit had the wrong tabs in the box but a call into Nauticus in the late afternoon had me the right ones on my door step the next day !!!! The install calls for 3 to 5 inches from outer transom edge so went with 4" Easy install took about an hour and half taking my time and sealing good. I did not use the plastic hardware but bought stainless ones instead. The tabs do seem a little on the flimsy side and the retractor kit tabs flex a little so we will see. Not sure when the trial run will be but hopefully before our vacation at the beach in three weeks !!! I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Thanks and I hope this yields good results and good feedback from anyone else in the same boat ( NO PUN INTENDED Have a few more pictures but they won't upload for some reason Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2257.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2748Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2749Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2263.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2750Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2257.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2748Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2749Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2263.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2750

jolie lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Commander

Great install. Based on your planned use, I'm pretty sure would will be extremely happy with the performance. Smart Tabs were a night and day difference for my 1900SR and I suspect it will be for you too. Keep us posted.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks !! sure will
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

Those look like the SX tabs. I would bet its going to make a big difference. Keep in mind, you'll probably still need to work the throttle in chop or wakes but this should help push the sharpest part of the bow into the waves/wake and reduce pounding.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Ensign

BUY THEM they work great!! The lake was calm with me and quarter tank trimmed up saw 4600 RPM at 45.5 Gps. Probably had a little left but ran out of lake I was on plane before 20 mph and was able to maintain 20 mph at 2400 rpm quiet on plane and tracked perfectly straight. Hard throttle from stop had much less bow rise. I could feel the nose wanting to keep down just enough to keep level flight and even while cruising no wake at 950 rpm and 8 mph. The steering is a little more accurate. With the mounting four inches from the side transom that was recommended I was able to reach down in the water to deploy them from the retract position easily (forgot to do that after she was in Will have to go to the bigger lake and see how she does with more people, gas, rougher water and tubing the kiddos. I will be attaching a picture of them in the water. I was happy enough with the middle recommended position that maybe someday will see what the other positions do. The directions call for a WOT run with a gain in speed. It did that among other things.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

Nice!!! Thanks for the follow up report.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote