Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Smart Tabs

Been doing a bit of research - which was due to me looking for a Hydrofoil for my Alpha drive.
A couple of guys on another forum advised using Smart Tabs .... anybody out there any experience of them ? .... they seem to have many benefits .. and at $100 ish are not that much more than a good hydrofoil, and much cheaper than hydraulic trim tabs ... and massively simpler to install.

The Trim Tabs sx seem ideal for salt Water boaters

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Admiral

get the smart tabs...you'll be glad you did....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
get the smart tabs...you'll be glad you did....
I'm tempted .. only $110 on eBay (new) ... OK that is twice the price of a Hydrofoil, I hope they perform twice as well.

The sx model seem a good idea - ...

But do the dampers last well ... they would take a hammering.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Will we get a discount for two sets sent to the UK?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

I can ask ... postage should certianly be a bit cheaper.
Let me know if you want me to find out.

read loads of stuff last night on them, everyone who has fitted them is saying change is like night & day, - best $100 invetment they have made on their boat.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Yes please ask

I did like my hydrafoils on my past boats but they were small and light. I've read they can make these boats a little unstable

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I put the SmartTab SXs on my 1900 SR2 at the begining of the season and absolutely love them. Before, my boat had a littel trouble planeing and chined walked so badly that it was almost scary.... since installing the SmartTabs, virtually all of this has gone away... the boat performs much better.

You didn't mention the size of you vessel, if it is much bigger than 19', I'd recommend you go with an electric or hydaulix trim tab... my quess is that it is not since it has an alpha drive.

My big push to the SmartTabs versus an hydrofoil was the reduced pressure on the outdrive itself... of course drilling 20 holes into your transom takes nerves of steel but it is much wasier after the first one
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazjen
Yes please ask

I did like my hydrafoils on my past boats but they were small and light. I've read they can make these boats a little unstable

Thanks
Loads of posts on 'trailer boats forum' (more than 100) on these Tabs and concensus is they do what they are supposed to do, nobody who has actually fitted them reports any problems ... some anecdotal comments but nothing first hand.

I am looking for a deal for a pair of these - current on-line price is $120 that works out at £60 ... UK dealers are selling them at £128 ... such a rip off.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

I'd be tempted to try a pair but need ot do more research before I commit. If you go to pull the trigger let me know and we'll split shipping, or you cna have them sent internally to one of my suppliers in the states and we can enjoy free delivery to the UK 8)
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I could also be interested in a pair of these shipped to the UK if you go ahead. Not sure I trust myself to fit them tho.....
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Bring your boat to me! I love drilling hole sin other peoples boats... being the wakeboard tower business I've become somewhat numbed as to the pain of doing it
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Supplied and fitted I like the sound of that.... can we try them on your boat first to make sure they work
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Should be able to get a good deal if there is a few of us buying them also the free shipping to the uk sounds good. It just depends how much duty and excise will add

I'm Not overly keen drilling holes in my boat either especially near the water line
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
Ensign

Default Smart Tabs

Hello,

I have just installed a set of smart tabs on my speed boat, it is a Mariah 182, with 3 litre and Alpha 1 leg, they do indeed do as they say on the tin, the boat gets up on the plane quicker and the ride during turns is flatter, they were $110 plus postage from the USA and then you pay another 25 quid on top for the UK VAT when you pick them up!

On an 18 foot boat they seriously reduced the wake form the prop, so much so that if l were a wake boarder, l would not be impressed, one thing worth noting is that when you tighten the screw and nut onto the plate form the ram, do not tighten it fully as the ram will come away form the plate, it must be finger tight only.

So if you do not require a wake smart tabs are the way to go.

Cheers,

Gary
fohn@cgg.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Default Anybody in UK interested in Smart Tabs ?

An update here ... myself & 'Brit Rider' been swapping a few mails .. there is a possibility of bringing them in as a bulk purchase.

Manufacturer is offering a direct deal if we order 6 sets .... (can be mixed type) .... so if you are interested, ping me a PM and let me know.

Cost ... direct purchase (no bulk deal) is $120 plus shipping ... and if we get 6 people shipping will be cheap.
plus Import duty & VAT.

Import duty is usually waived - so just the VAT element ...

So could be looking at around £70 a set .... if you buy in UK, they are £137 + shipping.

If there is not enough for 6, then I can still order but via a dealer.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Smart Tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fohn@cgg.com

On an 18 foot boat they seriously reduced the wake form the prop, so much so that if l were a wake boarder, l would not be impressed, ...
So if you do not require a wake smart tabs are the way to go.
2 things here - we may be able to save any postage costs to teh UK - so that will make a big difference to end price.

Secondly been discussing with guys on other forums ... and after reading a couple of posts on 'reversing the pro troller' called John the manufacturer.

At the point the damper reaches the transom, instead on there being just the swivel, there is a 'Pro Troller clip - that simply by the operation of a latch allows Tabs to be locked 'down' this is for fishermen who want really low speeds.

By fitting this switch upside down .. you can lock Tabs 'up' ... so if you are not a 100% flat out competition wakeboarder, (I'll admit I don't have a pony tail, wear a baseball cap back to front, and call people dude)
.. you can run SMART TABS as normal, and then flick the catch putting SMART TABS out of the way on the odd times you want maximum wake.

Would seem ideal - that you can have all the benefits for quicker to plane, lower plane speed, better acceleration, better top end, better MPG, and at a flick of a switch also get full wake when you need it.

Don't forget if you are in the UK and interested in getting these - drop me a mail
Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
Lt. Commander

Update on this ... had a great deal from a US distributor, incl free shipping.

So we will have 4 Maxum owners in UK ... running on SMRAT TABS in near future.

We will let you know how they perform.

« Trim Q | camper top »