Old 08-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Shore power question

Hi All,

Hopefully on Monday I'll be the new owner of a Beautiful 2001 2900 SCR so now I need to be thinking about the little things I'm going to need.

The shore power has been tested, etc and it works fine but there are no cords on the boat for it. I figure that since I have a 14' wide slip that I will be fine with a 25" cord and from what I understand it’s a 120v 30amp rated service. So here are my questions;

1. Is the power receptacle on the boat a male or female? In other words, does the shore power cord that plugs into the boat have a male or female end?

2. Because of the air conditioning fitted on the boat it has dual inlets. Can I get away with putting a "Y" fitting on here where both inlets are powered by a single power cable.

3. Can anyone recommend an online seller of these things.

I think I know the official answer to question number 2 but real life practical advice would be appreciated!

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Shore power question

howdy and welcome to the zoo...sounds like the 2900 is going to be a nice boat....shore power is pretty easy to understand....first off...your going to need 50ft lengths...your going to need 2 leads or chords....the chords have both..male at one end and female at the other...once you get the chords/boat ..you'll see that the male end is what you plug into shore power stations...
now ..the AC panel is broken up in 2 sides....port and stbd...it doesn't say port and stbd but basically it is....your heat/ac system will probably be on the stbd side..you can get away with one shore power chord but your going to be managing things so you don't pop the main breaker.......so..it's best to run 2 shore power chords to shore so that the ac has uninterrupted pwr.......
you can get a "Y" connector adaptor to hook to a 50amp shore power station...and then run the 2 shore chords from your boat to the "Y"...that will free up 2 ea. 30amp stations......

now if you run one shore power chord to a 30 amp station..your going to have to configure the shore power to parallel on the AC panel..it's easy to see how to do it...not rocket science.......shore pwr #1 will have pwr...the panel configured to parallel and both sides will work..............

hope this explains it all....the best thing you can do is shop around...i got the "Y" from west marine.....about 250 bucks......the shore pwr chords can be gotten almost anywhere......

SP :hello:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru
Hi All,

Hopefully on Monday I'll be the new owner of a Beautiful 2001 2900 SCR so now I need to be thinking about the little things I'm going to need.

The shore power has been tested, etc and it works fine but there are no cords on the boat for it. I figure that since I have a 14' wide slip that I will be fine with a 25" cord and from what I understand it’s a 120v 30amp rated service. So here are my questions;

1. Is the power receptacle on the boat a male or female? In other words, does the shore power cord that plugs into the boat have a male or female end?

2. Because of the air conditioning fitted on the boat it has dual inlets. Can I get away with putting a "Y" fitting on here where both inlets are powered by a single power cable.

3. Can anyone recommend an online seller of these things.

I think I know the official answer to question number 2 but real life practical advice would be appreciated!

As always, thanks in advance for the help.
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote