Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Shink wrap pvc support

Hi Maxum group.......

Going to go another way of winter storage this year. Going the shrink wrap route on our 2001 3000SCR and leave it outside this winter. I have to construct a frame for our boat to hold the shrink wrap up.

PVC pipe is what I have been told that is easiest to work with. I am just curious about the design and path it will take from the bow to the windshield and then to the arch.

Anyone out there done this before? A picture is worth a thousand words if you got one. What is the best material to let the pvc pipe lay on the fiberglass?

Thanks

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Lightbulb

Sup' Rog'

I'd skipt the PVC rout and go with the prefabbed 2 x 4 special made ends that protect the glass and won't tear thru the shrink film Here is a picture of last years rigging. The glass tape webbing used to make the "web" has a tensile strength of over 1k lbs. You can invest in the ratchet tools to tighten it and viola. I have some opther pictures at home that I can post for you too. I invested (about $650) in all the shrink wrapping stuff a couple of years ago because I was tired of paying out 600 bucks each year.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Admiral

I agree...drop the pvc plan as I don't think that stuff would be strong enough in a bending moment...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Admiral

As always BS a great job! That looks great and I see how you have tied in the stands(2X4s) and the support tape. My arch goes the other way, but I guess I would do the samething to there also.

I have watched the u tube demo's but they have been much smaller boats.

My boating friend that shrink wraps his boat (30 foot Chap) every year, coincidentally, was down at the marina today and he and I were talking about all this.

Thanks SP and BS

Roger
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Commander

Whatever you do, make sure the pitch of the webbing on the bow is high all the way to the pulpit, you want rain/snow to come right off. If the pitch is too low, I have seen boats where the covering will sag, it will pool up with water, and will tilt the front of the boat down off the supports (yup, believe it). Not to mention damage to the railing and hull. A gallon of water is about 8.5 lbs, and on a large cover, it can pool up. I have always passed on shrink wrap myself. I bought a blue tarp, made the webbing out of clothesline, and pulled the tarp over the webbing. Then I trimmed the tarp along the bottom, and folded it in underneath and held it with tarp tape. Then put in a bunch of brass grommets through the tarp tape and tied it tight under the hull and along the perimeter. The cockpit side needs some extra thought as you need to fold it in a bit. Do this from the inside. I just pulled it tight, rolled it up, and clamped it from the inside. You can try hand stitching it if you have time. They sell "doors" you can add for about $15 from Home Depot. You tape it on, slice down the zipper, and you have a door to get into your cockpit from the outside. I passed on the door. I just loosen the tarp when I need to get into it. The whole thing ran be about $120. In the spring, I give it a good rinse before I take it down, let it dry. Fold it up, and the following year, you can use it again without having to do all the trim and grommet work. Bunch of guys asked me where I got a custom blue tarp, I told them the steps, they built their own last year as well. The first time, it will take a few hours to do the grommet work. If you have a buddy, it goes quicker. The trick to pull the tarp over the length of the boat is make sure you have it completely unfolded/rolled out in the back of the boat, on the ground. Attach a rope to the grommets on the left and right side of the front part of the tarp. Throw the ropes over your helm and onto the bow. Now get up on the bow and pull both sides. Watch for snags on the arch. If there is a slight breeze working with you, it helps, just let it pick it up and pull the tarp. Let it run long over the sides. Then trim it, tape it, grommet it, and tie it up. Then head to the local bar and spend the couple hundred bucks you saved and buy your buddy a few beers.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Lightbulb Protect your boat in the winter the professional way, ditch the tarp..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
As always BS a great job! That looks great and I see how you have tied in the stands(2X4s) and the support tape. My arch goes the other way, but I guess I would do the samething to there also.
I have watched the u tube demo's but they have been much smaller boats.

Roger
Hey Rog,

Yep you tube is where I learned how to do Bella too. The process is entirely the same but just on a much larger scale for tubs like ours. It all starts with the skirt band that is suspended with drop lines from the cleats as shown in the first picture. Then create charlottes’ web with the proper webbing and 2 x 4 plastic end supports (which can be reused every year. The webbing is tightened with special galvanized buckles and a winch ratchet, it is best to wrap tape over the buckles to prevent them from wearing or burning thru the film. Then drape the film over the boat and tuck the excess inside the skirt band and trim to about one foot below it. You then create a Hem by flipping up the one foot of extra up and shrink to the top around the band around the entire perimeter. From there it’s shrink top to bottom.

I use a Shrinkfast professional heat shrink propane gun along with a 8 foot extension. Since I have use of our fork lift I have one of my sons drive me around the boat while I sit on a pallet till Bell looks like last night’s leftovers wrapped nice and tight. It is important to add some plastic vents that are available and a zip up door to access the inside too.

As far as using jamanati’s suggestion of a tarp, yeah you can, but you are then subject to the tarp flapping loose in the wind and abrading the gel coat on your boat, wind can destroy a tarp in no time. The loose tarp can also start pooling water as he mentioned which is bad news. The shrink film I use has a 50 lbs. per square foot snow load (more than 6 feet of snow weight), which is more than enough to hold up under the weight of the snow we get.
After the initial investment, of $650 (I bought my stuff at Jamestown Distributors), it costs me $100 a year for the shrink film that I know will protect my six figure boat investment faithfully year after year without any worry that the tarp is going to tear or loosen in the bitter winter wind or snow. I will post the entire process this year in projects, so stay tuned.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7

A few more pics, cuz I know we all love pictures!

God this is a sad thread, sorta like talking about funerals..........SUMMER!! DON'T LEAVE US!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Admiral

Thanks BS..........There is a bunch of us at our marina that does the shrink wrap. One of them has a gun, infact I think he has two of them, anyway we give him our fair share of $$$$$ for the shrink wrap that he gets in the fall and it is a help each other thing, which is great!!!

My friend that I was talking to yesterday ( that he wraps his 30 foot Chap) I finally get it. I was going horizonal and he is talking vertical.......I get it now.

I have thought about spending the big bucks for a gun but decided to wait and see how this goes this season before I purchase one.

And yes I am sorry I have brought up the end of the season for boating thread.....shoot me several thousand times........we still got a couple of months left.........I hope....