Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Captain

Default repo'd boats

any of you brave enought to buy a REPO boat?

I looked at a few, and on Ebay, and you know the decription and history is suspect.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Lieutenant

I bid on a boat on this site but was way too much of a wimp to give them a bid they might actually accept... Take a look at this one

http://www.commonwealthboatbrokers.c....asp?vID=11031

jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Admiral

I've looked at several repo'd boats over the yrs...I can almost say with certainty that these boats will cost you more than a new one to get up to snuff....usually they are used up party barges.....some were seriously trashed....if it were me...I'd just look for a nice easily used on....or look at a good buy for a yr or two old new boat that's been sitting on a boat lot.......sometimes there are real deals to be made....but after looking at a good dozen repo's...you couldn't give me one...

SP

Ps..I moved this to the general forum as it's not really a project..
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

There are a number around.

Largest (to my knowledge) Nationwide:
http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory.php

Regional in New England:

http://www.northeastboatsales.com/

Do a search on Marine Liquidation and you will find a number of hits. I'm sure there is one close to where you live and/or boat. I agree with SP, you need to be very careful. I would insist on a full marine and mechanical survey. There are a few gems out there, but there are folks who snatch up good auction boats for a living. Many are rode hard and put away wet. There is some odd commonality, when people find out their beloved toy is being repossessed, they take it out on the boat like it was the boats fault. A sort of, "Well if I can't have, nobody else is going to want it either. That'll teach teh bank a lesson when I don't pay my bills".
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I bought my boat as a bank repo at Clarks landing in Point pleasent NJ 2 years ago. 1998 3700Scr 1 blown engine and it was a mess but I paid 31k and invested 19k in engine a new engine and 5k in canvas it has been a great boat Here is 2 pic
William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I nearly bought a pristine condition 30' Regal that only had 150 hrs on engines and 20 hrs on the generator. Surprisingly everything was there, all tops and enclosures.
Normally that stuff has been removed by owner since they know they are about to get repo'd an then sold.
I had my surveyor go out anyway and he called me within 30 or so mins of starting the inspection and told me to RUN away.
Apperently the boat had been repo's during January and had been put on dry land to store until the bank could legally auction it.

My surveyor found cracks in both drives, suspicious looking rust/cracks on both blocks and one riser. He did not try to start at that point. He the pressurized the water pump and pipes behind walls were spewing.

At this point he called me and I told him I would give him 30 mins to leave the dealer before I called them to let them know my decision.
When I called the dealer to tell him I would not go further with the transaction he said I had no choice since I had signed a "Purchase Agreement" At which my reply was, I don't think so Scooter... In Texas you don't own a vehicle until it has been delivered and said good luck trying to rip0 off the next guy!
My surveyor told me the dealer called him up and cussed and treatened him for telling me the problems....Really?
Anyways, the moral of the story is, don't judge a book by it's cover!!! Boats included!!

That was the best money I ever spent!! be careful with your decision out there.
G