Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #1

Default Removing Windshield glass

Ok, so this is an odd problem which become more complex. I bought a Ritchie compass to replace the one missing on my 1997 Maxum 2800. Of course, the Standard Ritchie compass size is slightly too big and i've had some difficulty finding the right size.

***Before I get links suggesting a compass that will fit.....it's bought and past the point of return, so I have what I have, unless I try to sell the one I have and buy a new one.****

The compass mount is so far forward I can't get a hole saw even with a right-angle drill. So, I began to remove the starboard side glass so I could more easily access, then replace the glass and reseat new vinyl glazing (for lack of a better term).

Is there a trick to remove the glass? I've been able to remove almost all of the vinyl glazing aroudn the window. I've managed to remove 3 sides. The last 6 inches of teh 3rd side tore and I can't free the 4th side at all. So of course, now I'm trying to solve one stupid somewhat unecessary problem in order to solve another somewhat stupid problem.

Any advice?

Steve

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Admiral

steve

I got nuthin man....about the only thing I can think of is too disassemble the window frame and sealant..gently move the glass out by working it free....that's the only thing I know of...

keep us posted ...

note: notice I didn't suggest getting a new compass!!

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

I looked at dissambling the Window, but the frame is aluminum and rivetted together. I didn't find any screws to disabling the windshield with the exception of those screwing the base of the window to the deck. I'm very apprenhensive about unscrewing the base of the windshield from the deck. I wonder how a broken window is replaced. It would seem like you remove the vinyl galzing on one side and then remove the glass. However, I also noticed that the glass still lookeds a bit large than the frame.

I know windshield glass isn't something that is replaced everyday, but it must be somewhat easy to replace just the same. I hate hiring someone to do something that should be fairly straightforward.

Steve
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

I drilled the rivets out on mine and took the frame to pieces to remove the glass I had to do this as after towing, the wind had pulled at the frame and popped the glass out at the bottom. quite easy really just be careful when your drilling them out use a really large drill bit so you don't go all the way though
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #5

How did you reassemble the windshield? Did you re-rivet it back together? This is going to be more ofa project than I anticipated. Retrospectively spending another $100 or so dollars on a new compass would have a good deal. DOH!!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Yes It's not as bad as it looks really, Just be careful and it will be fine
Don't use the scissor tyre rivet gun, as your likely to break the glass when the rivet snaps off
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

OK, I broke down and fired up the drill and drilled out the rivets. This allowed me to remove the horizontal section of the windshield frame that goes across the top of the window. I was then able to slide the entire glass right out the top.
I noticed that the rivets are on the inside of the windshield only and the windshield aappears to have been assembled by building the aluminum fame around the glass, then screwing the entire assembedl windshield to the desk of the boat. The rivets on the inside of the windshiled at the bottom are completely unreachable. I could only drill out the rivets at the top and had a difficult time getting the windshield itself to easily slide out.
there appear to be 2 rubber/synthetic gaskets in the windshield frame. One apperas to seat inthe frame itself, the other wraps around the glass and slides inside of the larger gasket. I believe one acts like traditional window glazing. I basically ripped all of the rubber window galzing out thinking it was like most traditional window glazing/gaskets and there was a front and back piece. I didn't realize that it was a single piece that wrapped around the window galss itself.

So to continue the story I like to call "The Ongoing Saga of the Stupidity of Steve" ....

1) Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the glazing/window gasket?

2) It was difficult to remove with most of the gasket already removed. I suspect I will need to install the new glazing/gasket onto the window, then slide the gasket and window into the gasket that is located inside of the windshield frame. Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I don't want to remove the windshield from the deck of the boat if I can avoid it at all costs.

3) I would think that rivetting the frame back together is the recommended method of reassembly. Would using metal screws be inadvisable? I can foresee the potential for screws to work loose over time.

Thoughts?

Steve
Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

I would use rivets Someone had screwed my hull to the upper using stainless screws, all had come loose. plus they look neater
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

Gazjen,
When you disassembled/reassembled did you remove just the top or the entire windshield? I would need to remove the windshield from the deck in order to drill out the rivets at the bottom of the windshield in order to get the side prices of the windshield frame apart. I only removed the top and slid the glass out the top. Unsure how sliding back in is going to work. On my motorcycles, I've used hairspray as a lubricant to easily slide grips onto the bars. When the hairspray dries it acts like an adhesive. I was considering using a lubricant to more easily slide the glass back in. Unsure how this will work. I'm looking forward to spewing a barrage of salty language this weekend.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I Removed the whole lot. I had the crazy idea of turning the boat upside down to remove the anti foul and polish the hull (Till I realised how heavy it was)

Although I will have to remove a part of mine again as the wind has popped the glass out again when towing. Hopefully it won't happen again as I've got new stays to fit
Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Wow that sounded like a lot of work. I never even look at my compass.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Lieutenant

If I had seen this sooner I could have told you that the windshields tend to be one piece units that are not intended to come apart. I know because a few years ago I took delivery of a brand new bowrider and noticed that the rubber "glazing" as you call it was caught under windshield for a few feet. I thought "no big deal" but menitoned it to the rep upon delivery. He said the entire widnshield had to be replaced or I risked the glass coming out completely. They could not just re-seat it, as I sure they would have if it were feasible to save money. Hope you get yours sorted out.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #13

I don't plan at looking at my compass, unless the electronics die. It's more cosmetic because I don't want a hole where the old compass was removed and would like piece of mind of having a compass, charts and some old school navigation tools in a worst case scenario. I don't use my PFD's and flares on my boat either, but don't want to leave port without those either.

As far as the windshield goes, I have to think that if it were TRULY not meant to be dissambled, they would have permanently epoxied the glass into the frame and would have welded the frame together. This is simply not the case. I would think that a brand new boat SHOULD be fixed properly and it was undoubtedly easier for the vendor to replace the part and return it to the factory form a "cost of labor" perspective.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

I've had mine to pieces a few times now seems ok
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #15

Default Re: Removing Windshield glass

Here's an update (Note to all posters, it's nice when follow-ups are made to posts, so people can see the results. It enhances the richness of searching the forums and reduces duplicity )

I screwed out the rivets at the top of the windshield and was able to slide the glass right out the top of the windshield frame. I then applied the new gasket around the glass. I put a little lube in the track on the window frame where the glass seats and slide the glass with the new gasket down in the window frame again.

for those that have not done this, this is NOT an easy process. I ended up having to take a rubber mallet to "pursued" the glass to seat all the way into the track at the bottom of the windshield frame. I was then able to re-rivet the top pipece of the fram back together. unfortunately, the window sits JUST slightly higher in the frame than it did before. I can get all holes except for one re-rivetted. The remaining hole is lower than the rest and I can see a tiny corner of the glass when I look through the hole. I refrained from setting the last rivet in this hole. Windshield is solid. Whether or not it's waterproof remains to be seen after I finally remove the winter cover. All-in-all, this worked OK. I'm sure there are tricks and a better way to do this, but this did work. If I were to do it over again, I would probably lube the gasket instead of the track and would have used more lube to get the job done. I didn't feel like starting from scratch and ordering more gasket, etc.

Steve