Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Recommissioning a 1750mx

Hi Guys

New member here. I’ve owned numerous Bayliners and Maxums in the past and I’m currently in the process of recommissioning by girlfriends dads Maxum 1750mx, which he has owned since new but has been stood for 3 years on its trailer outside and unused.

I thought I’d post up some pictures and descriptions of the work I’ve done/doing, in case it might help others with similar problems, and I’ll no doubt run into some issues that I’ll need help with.

I’ve always done the work on the boats I’ve owned myself. Mainly because I’m not rich so I can’t afford to pay anyone, and the few times I’ve trusted boat mechanics to do things for me it’s not seem to go well. I wouldn’t say I enjoy working on them, but I have got better at it over the years. I’ve also slowly accumulate various tools that makes working on them a bit easier. I now know my way round a 3.0 mercrusier and Alpha one outdrive fairly well.

On this particular boat, it’s been well looked after over the years, serviced annually and winterised each year. So fundamentally it’s all good. It does have a lot of the age related issues that these boats have though.

The list when started on this last week was:

Engine wouldn’t run. It’d start but only on half throttle and die as soon as throttle was backed off.
Stiff steering
Trailer needs various bits and pieces (roller washers and bowroller post etc..)
Blower ducting failed
Most dash gauges don’t work

The first job was to sort the engine issues. A quick compression check confirmed that the engine was in good health internally, so the next obvious place to look was the carburettor. I managed to get a gasket kit (which cost £50!!) from the local boat supply shop and took the carb off the manifold and stripped it down. Immediately the problem was obvious. Classic case of evaporated fuel in the float bath had left behind some gunge that was blocking the jets.

Cleaned it out with carb cleaner, removed the jets and cleaned those, reassembled, and the engine ran like a swiss watch. Job done.

I then had a mess with the gauges and manged to get the engine temp and oil pressure working. The two most important I think. The speedo also works, but the trim gauge and rev counter don't. I’ll have to look at those when I get time.

Decided at this point to dunk it in the water and go for a blast to see what else needed attention.

The steering is really stiff, it works, but the cable needs removing and oil forcing through it to clean the corrosion out. I’ve never removed a steering cable before but it doesn’t look too hard. It’s my next job.

Unfortunately, I then noticed another, more serious problem. Drive lube in the bilge. A lot of it.

I think the input shaft seal, yoke seal, and possible some other seals in the alpha one outdrive are shot. Not surprising as they are probably original, so 14 years is good going really!

Now this job I don’t fancy doing. I’ve done it before on my old 1800mx and wit took me three days in a garage, where I had air tools and an engine crane. I swore, a lot. Doing it at the side of the boat in a field isn’t going to happen.

I’ve asked for a quote from the local boat repair place and I’m waiting to hear back. The issue is also time, with it being peak season, they are backed up for weeks. It might mean I don’t get it out again the summer.

A few pics of the boat, where it's been stood and in the water last weekend, and the offending carb before cleaning.

Kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Ensign

Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Ensign

Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Admiral

welcome aboard

Regarding the gear lube have you checked to see if the leak is not at the transom fitting for the reservoir lube line? These are know to break as many were plastic.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for the welcome

I prayed that the leak would be the in the expansion bottle or the line running to the through-transom fitting. Unfortunately though its not. It seems to be pooling in the bellows and dripping back through into the bilge.

My moneys on the input shaft seal/pinion seal.

Won't know for sure until the legs off though.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoff View Post
Thanks for the welcome

I prayed that the leak would be the in the expansion bottle or the line running to the through-transom fitting. Unfortunately though its not. It seems to be pooling in the bellows and dripping back through into the bilge.

Welcome aboard.
Can be the hose to. Just another suggestion.
The seals are not hard to replace. But you need a garage to work on it... not in the field.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome

OK in your first post you just said in the bilge. Being that it's in the driveshaft bellows I agree it's a bad input seal.

Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Ensign

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear.

I noticed the leak when we were out on the water, as the bilge was full of drive lube. Back on the trailer I inspected he expansion bottle, the hose to the transom through fitting, and the fitting itself (the bit I could see of it anyway). No evidence of any of those bits leaking, but some evidence of oil in the bellows.

We lost about a pint of gear oil in an hour, so I think it has to be a fairly major seal problem. Shame we couldn't have got this summer out it because I can pull the drive myself in the winter and do the work, just not at the moment. Don't have the time and the boats in the wrong location for me.

See if it can be fixed locally in quick time, or I'll have to park it up for the season.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Ensign

Has anyone on hear ever replaced the steering cable out of one of these boats?

Wondering if there is any pro tips that I should know. Or is it as simple as disconnect the steering ram in the engine bay, disconnect the gear behind the steering wheel hub and pull it out?

I suppose I should attach some other cable or similar to it as I pull it out to make a guide for pulling the new cable back through. Any other things to watch out for?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Admiral

The hardest part is pull the full length out and yes attach a rope that can be used to pull the new one back through.

Mike
Old 07-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #12

Watch for wire tights. Many times they tighten the wires to this cable.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
Ensign

Progress update on the gear oil leak- Leg is off and it looks like its the steering yoke and associate UJ and seal. It's all pitted and its leaking all around it.
Replacement parts have been ordered but will taker a few weeks to arrive as some are out of stock in the UK. Then we can reassemble and pressure test.

Suns shining and the boats sat on its trailer waiting for parts. Horrible!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Progress update on the gear oil leak- Leg is off and it looks like its the steering yoke and associate UJ and seal. It's all pitted and its leaking all around it.
Replacement parts have been ordered but will taker a few weeks to arrive as some are out of stock in the UK. Then we can reassemble and pressure test.

Suns shining and the boats sat on its trailer waiting for parts. Horrible!
Can you post some pictures?

Raining for a straight week here.

Mike