Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Purchasing 3000 SCR

We are in the process of purchasing a 1998 3000 SCR and it will be surveyed in about a week. It is equipped with 5.0 MerCruisers and B2 outdrives. Boat is in the water and is being used regularly by the owner. The boat appears to be in very good condition and was maintained by yard mechanics. This will be a saltwater boat.

Does anyone have suggestions for what we should be looking for during the survey? Would like to hear what owners may have to say about the strengths of the boat. Does this year and model have any particular quirks? This will be our first boat.

Thank you. bill

MassMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Wow...first boat and jumping right into a 30ftr....well...welcome to the zoo...
good that your getting it surveyed...that would be my first recommendation...2nd is get some boating safety training offered by the coast guard or the USpower sqdn........3rdly...never EVER approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it........those boats are pretty good boats...strong...well built ...but the survey both structural and mechanical will reveal any problems....like anything..it depends on how it's maintained.....first thing I'd do is check for water intrusion into the stringers and transom.....2nd is when were the water pump impellers replaced??..oils changed??.....mechanical surveys will show you the condition of the engines/drives...

take lotsa pic's and welcome to the zoo...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Default hope this will help

Hi Mass Max, nice choice I purchased the exact same boat .some year same every thing
Mine had taken in water (in the engine bay) why?? Don’t know, the hull is perfect no holes. So I had to go through everything

First thing make up a check list, add to the list a collum so if there is something missing /not working or broken you can enter an estimate cost for that article
Here is some thing to start with
If you have the air conditioner check to see if it works, check the generator set works
Check all off the lights and switches (switches can go a little sticky) check the gauges
Check all the pumps –fresh water pump, shower pump, macerater pump (if fitted), bilge pumps x 2 check that they work by the auto floats and the manual override
Check the battery condition and how old, check the battery change over switches and battery charger, check the winch works, check the condition of hoses and through hull fittings, check the gas rams for the seats and engine hatch, check the hot water system and fresh water flow including all the taps for leaks, check the W/C that it will flush etc
Check condition of all the clears and canvas tops
Check that all the fittings are there for the bed conversion

I could keep going on, this lot you should be able to do your self
If you need to know any thing just ask, with mine I just need to fit the legs on and a some other small thing and then its sea trials
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote