Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Pump Out Question

I'm new to the pump out head thing so have a question. Spent a few days on lake powell and went to the pump out station at the end of the trip. Everything appeared to go as expected but I had a lot of air noise from my waist tank vent. I could put my finger over it and feel the suction. Is this the way it should be? I would assume the tank is not getting emptied if it's simply sucking air from the vent. Doesn't it need to create a vacuum?

Is this normal ?

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Commander

Mine will suck air through the vent when it is empty.

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Yep, that is a result of the laws of physics. Without an air vent, you would neither be able to fillit OR empty it. In order to pump fluid in,you will need to diplace the air inside of it. In order to create a vaccuum to remove the fluid you will need to replace the fluid with air as well. Otherwise, you couldn't fill it when you flushed and you would crush the tank when you sucked the contents out. don't worry it is working as designed.

While discussing vents. Consider installing an inline vent filter. Dometic makes a nice one. It keeps the odor in the tank when it is displacing the air when yo uare flushing. This way you're not sharing with others.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Mine will suck air through the vent when it is empty.
Thanks.. That good to know. The hoses at Wahweap do not have the clear section to site the fact that the tank is empty. I'm never sure I'm getting it all out but it sounds like I'm pumping for much longer than I need to.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Commander

I can usually see into the hose at Wahweap enough to see if I'm still pumping nastiness.
Generally I Pump/Fill with water/pump/fill with water/ pump and done. Then we add chemicals and a gallon or so of water.
They do have better equipment at Antelope but it sounds like Wahweap is trying to upgrade(now with Restaurant and Bar?)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Admiral

Yeah.. Antelope competition has been a good thing for Wahweap. New store / restaurant is in place and being fitted for a mid June open.

Do you add the chemicals and a gallon of water via the deck opening or the head it's self? I usually just add some chemicals to the head and then flush twice after pumping out.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Commander

Same as you--through the head
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

Ditto, through the head and make sure to put enough fresh water on top of it to get it ALL all the way back to the head. Otherwise you're only treating the head and the first few feet of hose.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote