Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Commander

Default Propane Fridge

Why don't boats use a propane/elect refrigerators?

The 12V systems seem lacking in leiu of a bank of batteries and a solar/inverter system.

I would even consider a smaller propane fridge up on the deck.(fastened appropriately of course)

Is propane somehow more unstable on a boat vs. an rv?

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Admiral

can you say "BOOM"?....

the explosive danger is the issue...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Commander

why is the explosive issue more on a boat than an RV?

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

I want a 3-way fridge on my boat that operates safely.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Admiral

well...the fumes can pool into places that aren't in a camper...ie bilge area..engine bay..etc...these places are compact and the fumes have no place to go..that's why when you go to start your boat..the bilge fans should be run for a min of 4 min....

I'm not arguing..just stating facts.....some larger boats have propane installed on their boats for cooking..BUT!!!..the tanks are located in a place that is open to air, specially vented....and secured due to movement..there's also special pipes used to mitigate corrosion....there are special spec's the coast guard has for propane...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Commander

Thanks for the info SP
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Lightbulb What Energy Crisis?.....

Hey oldno7,

I remember when I had my 93' 2300SCR and delt with battery issues and the need for more power when camping at Mead and Powell etc. I answered the problem with a honda 2000i portable genny that I would either set on the swimstep stapped down or on the shore purring away with an extension cord to the shore power input. They work wonderful and provide all the juice you need to preserve your precious house batts (I added another house batt too; group 31 and upgraded the charger to a three bank output 20 amp too). You can find the 2000i on sale at gander mountain for $950.00 bucks right now which is a pretty good price.

Bella sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Commander

Thanks Bella

You know the problem I'm having well.

When it's 105+ outside, how do you keep your beer cold for 5 days.......
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Commander

Two couple we hang out with both have houseboats. They have built in propane tanks and have several wall mount gas heaters (one is a fireplace) and full size residential stoves that runs on propane.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Thanks Bella

You know the problem I'm having well.

When it's 105+ outside, how do you keep your beer cold for 5 days.......
Yep,

When you're out in the deep resesses of Powell, you just can run down to the local Kwiki mart for a blue squishy and a bag of ice!.

Seriously though, a great tip for long term cruising is to pack the cooler with Dry Ice wrapped in news paper. It lasts for a long time and doesn't sweat or leak because of Sublimation; Sublimation is the transition from the solid phase to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. In short, no water build up so it is optimal for use as a booster for your refrigerator too without flooding your floor. ;-) Be cautious though when handling it, always wear leather gloves and keep it wrapped in paper to extend its service life.

Cruise on oldno7!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. another good tip is to cover the cooler with a constantly wet towel to provide evaporative cooling, futher
extending the life of your frozen water ice/dry ice and more importantly, your COLD BEER!!
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Actually did a little research on this lately. You will notice that a camper never stores the propane inside, it's always out front un-connected to any motor or ignition source. I mounted a very nice Magma Grill to the transom of my boat and have been using a 10 pound fiberglass (non marring) propane tank to fuel it on the dock. I noticed that the tank would fit perfectly into the transom locker and I could run a hose out of the transom to the grill.

A sailboat guy next to me brought me a crap load of information before I did so and I'm glad he did. EVERY propane tank under extreme heat vents the excess propane and a security measure from blowing up. It will happen with every tank (hell look at your little green bottles and they have a vent) putting that tank on your boat and knowing that propane will always fall there is NO WAY to avoid those gases from ending up in the bilge. Whether forward or back it's always going to end up in the bilge.

The correct answer (like they do on sailboats and larger vessels) and in accordance with Coast Gaurd recommendations a propane locker has to be completely air sealed off from the rest of the boat, needs to have a drain plug at the very bottom of the compartment that drains overboard. For a second I considered sealing up my transom locker to achieve this (as it does have a drain in the bottom) but when I spent just a second thinking about everything that goes wrong on boats, I realized one little miss on the seal, the drain plug coming un-done, or something going just a little wrong and I could blow up my family.

I decided against it!!

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote