Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Potential New Purchase

New to the forum and wanted to get your opinion.
Subject to sea trial and survey: 2002 2400 SD with alum. trailer, 5.7L carbed Merc. $13,800
Boat includes GPS, VHF, options to include are fresh water engine rinse, thrusters, and docking lights. Boat has keyless ignition and trim tabs. Springs are rusty on the trailer and it has no brakes.
Any thoughts on this boat? Do you think it will be enough motor (250hp I think)?
I believe there may be a problem with the thruster, owner stated a selonoid/relay or something, but I can still use it without.
Attached Thumbnails
080700_1439[00].jpg   080700_1439[01].jpg   080700_1438[00].jpg   080700_1437[00].jpg  

floridatrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Ensign

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
mx6.jpg   mx7.jpg   mx3.jpg   mx1.jpg  

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Ensign

a few more.
Attached Thumbnails
mxbow.jpg   mxengine.jpg   mxmisc.jpg   mxside.jpg  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome to the forum FTR.

Appears to be a lot of boat for 13.8, and seems pretty clean from the photos. The 5.7 in there will be sufficient, which out drive is installed? The thruster is a nice addition but rarely seen on that size boat. Appears it has trim tabs also, but I don't see a radio in any of the photos. Keyless Ignition? I like the idea but have not seen it executed on a boat.

The trailer springs do look a little iffy, and I'm pretty certain Florida requires brakes on each wheel.

Definately looks worthy of survey and sea trial - can't wait to hear how they go!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the reply Dan.
It has the Alpha drive with alum. prop. Radio is under console with controls on that facy dash. It is alot of boat, my biggest boat so far has been 21'. It does have trim tabs. Owner priced for a quick sale. I will need to see if the Marina will add brakes to the trailer and for how much. Or buy a new trailer and sell the old? Sea trial is set for latter this week.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Admiral

Sure thing Mike, hope the survey and sea trial pan out. You'll enjoy the extra space of the 24 footer.

If you're mechanically inclined you can do the brakes and springs yourself. If not, it may be almost a cost wash to buy a new trailer (with a trade in of the old). Here's a good resource for trailer parts; you can price out how much the parts would cost, double that, which should give an idea how much the marina will hit ya for. http://www.easternmarine.com/shop/?g...FdRU2god6w005w

Dan
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...hope your seatrails and survey works out...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Ensign

Just got back from the sea trial. The good: boat handles great, very smooth, very comfy, family loves it.
The bad: engine overheated at over 4000 rpm, brought back down to 3500 it was fine temp around 175.
At 3500 rpm was about 27 knots, max 4200 rpm about 32 knots. I think this is under? Alum. prop looked a bit buggered, might be the reason?
Could hear water trickle in somewhere behind the engine down into the bilge, the pump would kick on every few minutes, Marina said they would investigate that.
your thoughts?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
Admiral

well....if you have water is leaking behind the engine..that's not good...probably means the bellows' is bad....leaking into the engine bay....and since the engine bay is wet...the oil pan maybe suspect if your in salt water...
then lets talk about the overheating problem....it could mean a blown head gasket...a bad impeller....bad thermostat...I'm going with the bad impeller on the raw water pump....your prop needs to be replaced or rebuild....a new prop would be a good idea......32 kts is a bit low..probably because of the weight of the water........I'd check those items and get it totally surveyed...compression check all cylinders....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
Ensign

Should I see if the seller/marina will fix the leak and low rpm issue before proceeding to the survey?
Marina wants 1500 to add brakes, trailer still needs springs,two tires and a spare. It would make more scence to buy a new trailer at 4000 and see if I can get a trade in at 2000.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #11
Admiral

it's always worth a chance..but if it were me..I'd do a survey and let the survey collect everything wrong...then you have some leverage with the buyer....the other thing is to run from this boat....yeah you have your heart set on it..but there's a ton more out there and most will probably be in better shape...this one wasn't taken care of by the po....
just my opinion..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
Captain

hai mike......

if you want my opinion.......

run away from the boat.......if the owner want's a quick sell, even than the boat and the engine has to be in a good condition. befor buying alraedy having problems means no good for long term.....maybe the boat is cheap....but it's still a lot of money.........let your healthy brains speak....... and make the right decision.......there ar more boats than churches for sail.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Ensign

Yea, the costs to bring this boat and trailer up to par are mounting. I had asked when the risers and manifolds were last replaced, no answer.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Ensign

Wife still wants the boat...
Problem is there isn't much out there in this price range for this size boat. But between the defered maintenance and the trailer it isn't worth the price. Thinking of offering 10,000 for the package as is, take it or leave it, that way I can tell the wife I tried
If they do take it (fat chance) I have the money saved to fix the boat up.
Your thoughts?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Admiral

I agree with what's been said, but think you should proceed with the survey just to make sure. And make certain you are there when the survey is done so you can tell the guy what you heard/saw. If nothing else you could use the survey to drive a better deal on it, and then use that money to make the necessary repairs.

Most everything can be fixed, but if there's water getting into the boat from the stern what you really want to find out is if the transom is wet/holding water. If it is wet it's a costly repair and you'd do well to walk away from that boat. If it's not wet it's still worth consideration as long as the price is right.

Dan
Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Captain

hai flori.....

tell your lovely lady that there are a lot of people here on this forum who have boats all their live and most of the time know what they are talking about.......14 K for the boat (without eventually extra repairs that you ar gonna get for sure) and a 1,5 K for the brakes on the trailer or trade the trailer in and buy a new one, brings you up to i think between 18 and 20 K....and for that money you can buy a younger boat without problems......always remember boating is expensive........

greatz, ed

if you want to place a bid on the boat........8000 K or run away and let somebody else have the trubble.....
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
Ensign

Thanks for all the input. I think she is ready to move on. Just too many issues with this boat. Dan, good point, I didn't even think about that water getting in the transom. Thanks everyone.
Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #18
Captain

your welcome.......

greatz, ed