Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Parking a boat on sandbanks

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how can you protect boat underneath from scratches when is parked on sandbanks?
Is there some special carpet?

Thanks

dale76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Commander

Well, there are these:
http://www.iboats.com/Hull-Keel-Prot...view_id.217418

Never used one before so cannot give any advice on them.
I choose to stop short of the sand and anchor in 3-4 ft of water to protect mine

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Captain

you can't................

don't do it..............

it's bad for the hull.........

it's bad for the tail........(if you don't lift it in trailer position)

at a certain moment the gelcoat will be totally gone ( could be within one year....i know it because i had it with my bayliner 2855 years ago)

etc....etc

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
Well, there are these:

I choose to stop short of the sand and anchor in 3-4 ft of water to protect mine
that would be good for a sea or lake but what about river?

The boat is maxum 1800MX. What kind of anchor is good? Im scared that I will losse boat

What is best way to anchor on the river?

Sorry I don't have much experience with boats

Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
Well, there are these:

that would be good for a sea or lake but what about river?

The boat is maxum 1800MX. What kind of anchor is good? Im scared that I will loose boat

What is best way to anchor on the river?

Sorry I don't have much experience with boats

Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
you can't................

don't do it..............

it's bad for the hull.........

it's bad for the tail........(if you don't lift it in trailer position)

at a certain moment the gelcoat will be totally gone ( could be within one year....i know it because i had it with my bayliner 2855 years ago)

etc....etc

greatz, ed
thanks for advice ED

So what should be best to do?

Im gonna be on the river about 2 weeks. Over night I can put on trailer but during the day its gonna pain in the a...

thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
Admiral

Hi Dale...........River beach parking for your boat is a piece of pie! A keel guard is a great idea and well worth the money spent!!!! Get two 30 foot lines and tie them to each side of you boat on the back transom cleats, run them up the beach at an angle and stake them down tight. Position the bow just a couple of feet on the beach so that the rear end of your boat is still floating. That way also you don't have to worry about swamping your boat.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
Admiral

Dale.........to address your other questions............where are you boating? If your like all of us where it is winter and we are waiting until next spring to begin the new boating season you have time this winter to take a a safe boating course. go to www.usps.org and find a class near you. You will be able to understand just what kind of anchor you need in your area of boating and should answer alot more of your questions......It will be well worth the time and effort.

Roger
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Captain

a boat is made to float.....not to bump on the bottom of a riverbeach.......sorry thats my opinion......

when she i lying on the beach even with a protection the bottom will be damaged. because of waves and moving of the boat it will berrys himself deeper into the bottom, and than sand and little stones will do their work above the keel quard (hope you understand what i mean.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

MANY people beach their boats, though I'm in the same mind as Ed, I'm not a fan of 'grounding' a boat, especially not on purpose. Alot really depends on where you're beaching. If it's pure sugar sand, it will be much better than if there are rocks mixed in. Even sand WILL scratch and eventually grind down the gelcoat. A keel guard of some kind would be mandatory in my opinion. I would walk the boat in and not drive the boat up onto shore. I would also use a sand/beach anchor of some kind. I wouldn't leave a beached baot unattended. I absolutely would not beach a boat in a tidal area. I anchor overnight in a beachy cove where many day boaters beach their boats. It is tidal and many don't account for the tide. When they come back to their boat at low tide, they find it Feet up the beach. Very funny to watch as people frantically try to push their boat back into the water late in the day. I've seen many people stranded waiting for the tide to come back in.

I hope this helps.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Admiral

I know we all have our own expertise in various parts of water(meaning lakes, rivers, oceans etc.) With a small runabout like Dale has....... to put on a keel guard and depend on that for the gelcoat protection is not a unreasonable expectation of this product.

I have river boated for 30 years and before hull guard was around we all would just drive up the beach and park our boat. It wasn't a big deal! Now I am talking sandy beaches, no rocks, pieces of concete, nice smooth sand. The method that I explained to dale in the last thread is the trick is to use the lines on both sides of the boat to stabilize the movement(by waves or other boats) so that the boat stays still. The bow just needs a couple feet of sand to sit on and that way you don't have to have your boat's hull all the way on the beach.

The last thread I wrote Dale if he follows that procedure with the keel guard applied he should have nothing to worry about. By having that keel guard on he is going to save that gelcoat on the bottom of his boat. It will work ED!

I want to get one for the jet ski next year.

Roger
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Dale.........to address your other questions............where are you boating? If your like all of us where it is winter and we are waiting until next spring to begin the new boating season you have time this winter to take a a safe boating course. go to www.usps.org and find a class near you. You will be able to understand just what kind of anchor you need in your area of boating and should answer alot more of your questions......It will be well worth the time and effort.

Roger
Im from Australia, the river name is Murray river. Also Im going to the sea and lakes but thats not a problem.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
MANY people beach their boats, though I'm in the same mind as Ed, I'm not a fan of 'grounding' a boat, especially not on purpose. Alot really depends on where you're beaching. If it's pure sugar sand, it will be much better than if there are rocks mixed in. Even sand WILL scratch and eventually grind down the gelcoat. A keel guard of some kind would be mandatory in my opinion. I would walk the boat in and not drive the boat up onto shore. I would also use a sand/beach anchor of some kind. I wouldn't leave a beached baot unattended. I absolutely would not beach a boat in a tidal area. I anchor overnight in a beachy cove where many day boaters beach their boats. It is tidal and many don't account for the tide. When they come back to their boat at low tide, they find it Feet up the beach. Very funny to watch as people frantically try to push their boat back into the water late in the day. I've seen many people stranded waiting for the tide to come back in.

I hope this helps.
There is no rocks mixed with sand but it is pretty sharp not as smooth as sea beach sand.
The river is not tidal area.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
Admiral

Wow Dale.............from the land down under..........I have an older that lives in Melbourne(Ashburton).

And it is summertime!

Good luck in your adventures!

Roger
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Commander

Maybe a combination of a Keel Guard along with a Shore Spike would be the ideal setup? That way you can put the boat "gently" on the sand as well as anchor it on the beach securely. I have seen these in action and they do work well. Maybe you can get 2 as an added safeguard (they are not that expensive).

http://www.slideanchor.com/

Check out the Shore Spike. It is basically a slide hammer that drives it into the ground, comes in all sizes and even in Stainless if you want. Even a place to tie a buoy if in shallow water where it can't be seen.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote