Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default ozone generator

I have a Maxum 3100 that has a salty, musty, moldy smell inside. It is faint but still noticeable. Instead of doing the old masking the smell with febreeze or a plug-in has anyone tried using an ozone generator? I am looking at purchasing a Sylvan Ozone Generator 3500mg/hr Ozone Output:
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvan-Ozone-G...8741781&sr=8-5

to try out. Has anyone had any luck with these???

bdude13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Febreeze is basically neutralizing the odor at the source rather than neutralized the odor that has vaporized like an ozone generator. Like you mentioned, a plug in or typical deoderizing spray is overpowering an undesirable odor with a more desireable odor, ala clash of the titans style. What would you do if it were your fridge and you smelled rotten food? I would try to track down the source of the odor and try to eliminate the source itself.

What you're describing is most likely coming from the bilges somewhere. I would start by trying to completely clean the bilge. A trick I've found works pretty well is to pour some fresh water in the bilge, then pump it out. Then pour some more freshwater in the bilge followed by some bilge cleaner. Take the boat out for a good bumpy ride and let everything wash around. Then pump it out again. Shampoo all the fabric and rugs you can find. Take absolutely everything out of every locker on the boat and use a bleach and water mixture and wipe down the inside of every single locker and smooth surface you can find. 3M makes a spray on mold blocker that I use to wipe down all the lockers and smooth surfaces after they've been cleaned and dried. Then clean absolutely everything that came out of lockers.

Don't forget all the lines including the musty anchor rode. Get that off the boat too. Consider a wash in some warm water and woolite. even damp PFD's can stink up the joint. Once all that is done (phew I'm exhausted just thinking about it). See if you still have the odor.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Admiral

good one Shrew....that is about the only way to get rid of nasty smells..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Captain

hi dude.

i agree what shrew said, first clean your boat from the top to the bottom and than try to look for a solution that he smell won't come back anymore, open little windows opposite each other so that the fresh winds can blow through the boat, place humidity absorbers in the boat (especially in the winter 2, 3 or 4 peaces) let mother nature try to remove the smell in your boat this winter, and check it for several times, if that does'nt work we all will think with you helping you finding the right solution.

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

One other thing is to check if odors are emanating from your A/C [or fan] filter when running and then lingering when off. That was our problem this summer; horrible smell of decaying oil etc even after cleaning the bilges with Bilge Bully. The Admiral was smart enough to try squirting Febreze onto the A/C air intake and voila, the heavy odor instantly disappeared and was replaced with fresh air flow.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #6

Nice one Tommy, I didn't even think of that. I've noticed that the AC ducts generate a TON of condensation and noticed a bit of a mildewy smell when the AC is turned on too. I thought it was coming from the musty vbirth locker since that is where my AC and ait intake is. I was considering cleaning out or even replacing the old ducts and trying to find a way to insulate the ducts to reduce condensation. I planned on putting some vents in areas where the ducting runs as well to get some air moving in those areas. A good place to check.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Admiral

crap...now I gotta go check my AC unit this weekend...I totally forgot about that one!!

good one...
Sp

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote