Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Outdrive wont raise or lower

This seems to be a regular problem on my 1998 bowrider. The inline fuse is good and all connections seem good. Sometimes it works, then for no apparant reason it stops, this happens even if the boat has been sat on the drive and not moved. When i flick the switch there is no noise.

Any ideas?

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Admiral

Please believe when I say I am not an expert but I would say it is still an electrical problem. A switch or connection going to the motor that raises the outdrive should be the problem. Have you tried to do an electrical trace from the motor back to your switches on your shifter? Something has to be lose or corroded. Get the tester and with a buddy check it out.

There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir? I had that happen on a 2150 Bayliner and it was the connection that when you take the engine out that had corroded on me. A 3 dollar part. 60 bucks in labor :-(

Hope this helps

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir? I had that happen on a 2150 Bayliner and it was the connection that when you take the engine out that had corroded on me. A 3 dollar part. 60 bucks in labor :-(

Hope this helps

Whereabouts is the connection you speak of? Resevoir is full so i know its a simple fix as sometimes it works.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

I would double check the connections if the fuse is good. Unplug the connectors clean all and reattach. I've experienced the same problem and usually it's corrosion or the connectors aren't "seated" properly....
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Admiral

see if you can gain access to the trim switch on the throttle.....there should be some way to gain access and spray wd40 into the switch...then work it several times ...usually wd40 will clear the corrosion....if that doesn't work...then check the continuity of the relays at the pump itself........they maybe going out....those are the only 2 items if your circuit is showing power every thing else is ok...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #6

Ditto^^^ There are two solenoids on the pump bracket. One for up and one for down. Connectors on the pump, connectors on the solenoid, the solenoid's themselves or the switch at the helm. I think you should be able to hear the 'click' of the solenoid if power is getting to it. You could try jumping the solenoid's or bypassing the switch at the helm with a 12v battery to test. You're going to need a volt meter to track this down as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the replies, i have no volt testing gear so will have to leave it to the marine engineer thats going to service the engine and leg.