Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Outdrive nightmare and prop pitch question

Well, it appears my mechanic lost my outdrive.

In the fall I had the mechanic remove, service, and store my outdrive for the winter. This Saturday was my launch. They had painted the bottom and outdrive and, just before dunking, while the boat was hanging from the lift, I asked the mechanic to confirm my outdrive serial number. It wasn't even close. I have no idea what happened but the outdrive they put on wasn't mine. What a mess. I have no less than four good records of my serial number -- survey from last March, dealer's records (this was a dealer-owned trade), Merc warranty info, and owner's manual -- and all say the same thing, which is not what is on the drive they installed.

I am sure they gave me the wrong props too. Can anyone tell me the factory installed prop pitch for a 2003 2700?

I am not sure how this is going to play out, but it is a lesson for all -- check your serial numbers before and after you have your outdrive serviced.

Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Default Re: Outdrive nightmare and prop pitch question

Call Mercrusier USA (405-743-6566) and give them the Drive #. They match each drive to the engine and they keep great records. As for the prop, most dealers install the props. If it was a used boat when you bought it the prop may have been changed anyway. Replacing the prop if you dont know what was installed is a small nightmare. But have no fear, there are ways to make it a little easier.

Anyway, call merc give them the drive and engine number. You are going to need the following info from the them:
1: Drive gear ratio
2: Type of drive (Alpha, Bravo, ect....)
3: Manufacturers recommended wide open RPM rating**********Most important!!!!!!**************

Next, you should have recorded this info on your original breakout cruise. If not, maybe you remember.
1: Make of engine
2: HP of engine
3: Boat weight
4: Total crusing weight ( boat + fuel + water + gear + passengers + zodiac and OB + any other extras.) Normal crusing weight!
5: Wide open throttle RPM
6: Wide open throttle Speed
7: Normal cruising speed and RPM
Extras : Time to plane and RPM at plane, Time to 30 mph.

Getting a new prop is one of the last dark arts in boating, so take your time and dont rush this.
I just bought a new prop for a 97 Maxum 2800 SCR from Power Tech
http://www.ptprop.com/
This is the best company I have ever done business with. They are all about you getting the prop you need and not the prop they want to sell. Anyway here is the contact info for them.
PowerTech
1-800-736-7767
for Marcus x241 <----This guy is great to deal with!!!!
for Bill x227
for Jeff x226

Once they run your specs through the computer and give you the price directly them from them. Hang up and call Dan's Discount Propellers at 1-800-573-5533 and he will beat the price better anyone you will find. I bought a prop for a Bravo 2 drive for $624 from him instead of $800 to $1000 other place. Shipped to me in 3 days. The prop I bought was a 17 3/4 x 19p Stainless Steel 4 blade.

The guys at prop tech will walk you through everything you need to replace the prop with no pressure to buy. Let me say it again, they are wonderful!

If you need any further help let me know. I am more then happy to help you find contacts for what you need.

Charles Spangler
York, Pa

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Commander

Default Re: Outdrive nightmare and prop pitch question

2700 OEM props.

5.7 BII 2.2:1 drive 17 3/4 X 21

5.7 BIII 2.2:1 drive 15 3/4 X 22 and 14 1/4 X 22

6.2 BIII 2.2:1 drive 14 3/8 X 20 and 16 X 20

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote