Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Opinions on 98 2300 sc

Hi everyone! This is my first post and wanted to get opinions on Maxum boats, specifically the 2300sc I do not know much about them but found a 1998 2300 SC for sale semi-locally (2hrs away at a dealership). The boat looks to be in excellent condition with complete maintenance records and includes a new sunbrella cockpit cover and bimini top. The snap in carpet appears to be very well taken care of, or new. Gelcoat looks to be damage free, but has a little bit of haze on the sides (do these buff out easily?) The trailer has new tires, bearings and bearing buddies as well as new bunks. It has the table, porta pot and single burner top still in it. Hours are unknown, but the dealer claims it is very low based on condition. They also know the owner and have maintained and stored it for him for a number of years. I know the boat is a V8 with the alpha one, but they are supposed to call me back with which model mercruiser... 5.0, 5.7, etc.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I previously owned a 2001 Mariah Diablo and absolutely loved it. However I sold it a few years ago and am wanting to get back into boating with my wife and 3 kids (11yrs, 9yrs, and 8 months) this the reason I am considering a cuddy. I thought the build quality of my mariah was top notch, but Mariahs are hard to find around here. Soooo please share your thoughts so I know if I am making a $8500.00 mistake or if I have picked a good one.

Thank you again!

Nick in SE Ohio (Ohio River)

nglauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Well coming to a Maxum owners site and asking if we like Maxums is a little odd to me. YES we love our Maxums.

Maxum is owned by Brunswick who also owns Sea Ray, Gradywhite, and Bayliner but shut the line down around 2009 when the economy tanked. However boat manufactures only build the hulls and all systems come the same companies such as Mercruiser, Perko, Windline, ... that all boats use.

IMO they are a good quality hull with decent gel coat. I have owned mine since 2008 and have been very happy with her.

Regarding the oxide it's hard to answer without seeing it but I suspect it will buff out as several folks here have done so.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #3
Ensign

Yes I agree.... it probably was odd to ask, as I know you never get a negative response about a Mariah on the Mariah forum lol. However, I figured it would be worth checking in and getting some feedback and opinions/pros/cons. From my research, it looks as if the 2300 sc changed design wise in 1999? I also noticed some of the later models had a special docking feature which is neat, although I wouldn't need this since I would rarely be docking. I'm just looking for something to drop in the water for the day and trailer home 2 miles from the marina as the sun begins to fade away lol. I have looked at a few different Sea Ray's (mid 90's), the 98 Maxum mentioned above, a late 90's and early 2000 Rinker 232, a Regal, and a Mariah z211. I just want something that will be comfortable for the wife, kids and myself while cruising the river and occasionally one of Ohio's lakes.

How is the hull designed in these? Is there a lot of wood in the construction? are the floors solid fiberglass? I'm just curious as I'm still trying to find information about them. I'm hoping the Marina calls me back tomorrow and is able to show the boat to me this weekend.

Thanks again,
Nick in Ohio
nglauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
Admiral

There is wood core in the transom, strings, and possibly the deck. My 1997 is all origional except the engine and has had no issues. There has been a few folks with wood issues but I have seen that on every make of boat that has wood core. Most were boats left uncovered and holding water.

Don't just look at the boat take it for a ride, thus goes for any boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote