Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
Commander

I think you got it right now. With only 2 adults you will probably get 47-48 out of it which is not that bad. Now you have a good baseline though and can experiment with props if you want to tweak it a bit. If you go 3 blade stainless, you might get another 1-2 mph out of it and slightly faster holeshot as it will not flex as much as aluminum. Maybe a 4 or 5 blade version would perform better than the 19p 3 blade. They say when going from 3 to 4, decrease pitch by 1 so that would mean an 18p 4 blade should give similar performance to 3 blade 19p (though maybe better holeshot and higher top end?).

Good luck and let us know if you do play and decide something else, it could help us all.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Lt. JG

with this theory my five blade 17 should have worked right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
I think you got it right now. With only 2 adults you will probably get 47-48 out of it which is not that bad. Now you have a good baseline though and can experiment with props if you want to tweak it a bit. If you go 3 blade stainless, you might get another 1-2 mph out of it and slightly faster holeshot as it will not flex as much as aluminum. Maybe a 4 or 5 blade version would perform better than the 19p 3 blade. They say when going from 3 to 4, decrease pitch by 1 so that would mean an 18p 4 blade should give similar performance to 3 blade 19p (though maybe better holeshot and higher top end?).

Good luck and let us know if you do play and decide something else, it could help us all.

cashone05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
Commander

In theory, sure
Sorry but I have no experience with 4 or 5 blade props. I have always run nad been happy with 3 blade. I did read somewhere else where each blade should only lower RPM by 50-100. So going from 3 blade to 5 blade yet staying with 19P, you should only loose 100-200 RPM. Not sure it that is enough to warrant switching from 19 to 17.

Now it also could be what others had suggested with just "blowing it out". Never had that happen so not sure what that is like or what causes it.
Could also be a spun hub which was mentioned earlier too. Did you ever mark the outside ring of prop and inside part of hub and take it for a spin to see if tehy still lined up after?

I do hear mention of a lot of people running 21P high fives with good success so maybe we are looking the wrong way on pitch? Everything you see out there says decrease pitch for extra blades. But at the same time, extra blades grab better so adding an extra blade and going down 1 size is giving you the double dose of holeshot power. So it would stand to reason increasing pitch would offset adding extra blades and give you the best of both, good holeshot with good top end. But I guess the real key here is to keep RPM at WOT where they should be and maybe that is why they say to lower?

Anyone else run 4 or 5 blade props and can offer some sound advice here?
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
Lt. JG

I run a 14.5"x19" AL prop on my 1900SR, and it performs great!!! Was thinking about switching to SS or 4-blade, but for the cost and not knowing how it will perform, decided not too.

Mercury Marine Black Max 3-blade Aluminum, #48 832830A45 19P

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/48-832830A45/

RoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #35
Commander

Roy, what year 1900 do you have. I really like that depth sounder, is is aftermarket or stock?

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
Lt. JG

Im not sure what boat roy has but mine is a 2005 and it has that depth finder and its stock
cashone05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #37
Lt. JG

Sorry, don't log in that often....it's a 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryME View Post
Roy, what year 1900 do you have. I really like that depth sounder, is is aftermarket or stock?

-JP

RoyR is offline   Reply With Quote