Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

hey will you US guys stop whinging about fuel price ... it's about time you joined the rest of the world and paid what we do.

In UK it's aprox $12 a gallon (allowing for exchange rate and US gall difference)

I have a biased view that if the US had to pay the same fuel price as most of the world, then there would be sufficient market forces to make the HUGE R&D facilities of Ford, GM, Mercurymarine, etc. .... produce fuel efficient engines.

Last week I was in Texas on business, and as we were driving up the highway we watched vehicles alongside .... a great many were very large SUV,s, the majority with V8 engines, 5.4L seemed very common.

The issue was most of them had a lone driver ! .... this is an incredible waste of fuel, and causes an enormous carbon footprint.

If fuel gets to 12$ a gallon then maybe efficient engines will start coming out of the big manufacturers.

Personally I think the future is Hydrogen fuel - been running BMW test sites in Germany for a couple of years, Honda just released the Hydrogen fuel car in Japan.

It is easy to make - filling stations can make it on site water + electricity is all that is needed.
Clean electricity can be used - wind, air, nuclear.

The output of the exhaust is just plain water, and the basic power & form of reciprocating engine remains.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey
hey will you US guys stop whinging about fuel price ... it's about time you joined the rest of the world and paid what we do.

In UK it's aprox $12 a gallon (allowing for exchange rate and US gall difference)

I have a biased view that if the US had to pay the same fuel price as most of the world, then there would be sufficient market forces to make the HUGE R&D facilities of Ford, GM, Mercurymarine, etc. .... produce fuel efficient engines.

Last week I was in Texas on business, and as we were driving up the highway we watched vehicles alongside .... a great many were very large SUV,s, the majority with V8 engines, 5.4L seemed very common.

The issue was most of them had a lone driver ! .... this is an incredible waste of fuel, and causes an enormous carbon footprint.

If fuel gets to 12$ a gallon then maybe efficient engines will start coming out of the big manufacturers.

Personally I think the future is Hydrogen fuel - been running BMW test sites in Germany for a couple of years, Honda just released the Hydrogen fuel car in Japan.

It is easy to make - filling stations can make it on site water + electricity is all that is needed.
Clean electricity can be used - wind, air, nuclear.

The output of the exhaust is just plain water, and the basic power & form of reciprocating engine remains.
The rest of the world? A gallon of gas in Mexico is .87 cents. Maybe if your govt would let go of the $2 to $3 a gallon tax they rape you with you might feel a little better. Or you could always move to the states like everyone else.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Been to Mexico and had to pay $25 to leave .... not many countries charge an exit tax :-)

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote