Old 06-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New user, new boater, with some questions

Hey, I just purchased a used 1996 Maxum 1700XR from a private party. We picked it up from his dock yesterday and took it out for the day. Everything went pretty well, but I do have a few questions.

After we loaded it on the trailer I forgot to pull the drain plug so I did so when I got home. When I opened it though I got maybe a couple drops, is that normal?

The owner specified that the Bilge pump was automatic, but there is a toggle switch on the console. I hit it while I was out for a little while just out of curiosity and it seemed to lighten the boat. Is the bilge pump truly automatic with a manual override or is it automatic while in the on position?

When I got home my friend noticed that there was a ~4" corrugated hose on the under side of the stern drive, I assume this is probably a water intake/exhaust. It must have torn a little at one end when I brought it up to load it on the trailer. I am going to replace it before I take it out next, but was curious what its exact purpose is?

Thanks!

bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: New user, new boater, with some questions

Hi bmatt welcome to the club
It is normal to not have water come out of the drain plug. If you have water in the bilge I would want to know why.
First it could be rain water which would be normal if the boat has no cover. Then I would be checking all the through hull fittings and the bellows on the sterndrive. Next I would check the engine hoses and clamps. The water is coming from somewhere.
The bilge pump is automatic, it is wired directly to the battery and works of a float switch. The dash switch is for manual use when you choose to use it perhaps just to check it for a test.
I would test the float switch at home with the plug in and bow tipped up fill the bilge with water to see if the switch turns the pump on.
When you had the pump on you should have seen a stream of water coming out of the through hull fitting on the side of the boat.
The 4 " hose if it is small like about 3/8'' it could be your speedometer hose did the speedometer work on your test run? It hooks to a fitting up under the front of the drive and often gets forgotton to be put on when the drive has been reinstalled.
Any other hose hanging under there should definetly be repaired, might be where your water is coming from.
Hope this helps
Paul

Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I guess I should have been a little more clear, the hose is 4" in diameter, roughly. I just took it off and am going to see if I can pick up a replacement somewhere locally. The hose is about 12" long or so, give or take. Its the bottom most hose on the stern drive of the 3.0L Merc, there was a slightly larger diameter hose above it that seemed to be in fine condition, I guess this bottom one took the brunt of the UV damage.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Those are your exhaust bellows . The top are your driveshaft bellows. The exhaust is suppose to come out through your prop. With that hose off she must have been pretty loud.
Paul
Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Also you may need special tools and glue to put it on properly. It might be something for a dealer to do. Bellows come in a set so you might want to do them all while you are at it.
Paul
Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Cool, I found the part. There are just two marine stainless steel clamps on this one that are bolt/flat head adjusted. Looks like glue is optional but the contact cement is pretty cheap, so I see no reason not to.

I brought the boat home, to be trailer kept for now, last night and as chance would have it (I believe it is called Murphy's Law) we had some sudden downpours. I pulled the drain plug today and drained the rain water. Some of the carpet is still a little damp so I am on the fence about covering it right now. There are some thunderstorms predicted for tonight but the rest of the week is supposed to be sunny. So should I cover it now while somewhat damp or take the chance of more rain and wait for it to dry well before covering?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

I would cover it now to keep the wetness to a minimum then uncover on a sunny day to dry.
Paul
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Spoke with a mechanic today and said that I should probably be ok for now replacing the exhaust bellows since it is easy to get to. So I have ordered all the necessities to install it, probably have it fully serviced when I winterize it unless problems arise before then. Hopefully all goes well, hope to be out this weekend, but probably not the fourth (too many crazy people on the lake). Thanks for the help! I covered the boat the other night and let it air out a little yesterday.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Commander

bmat,

Are you sure you have a 1700XR? The XR designation is normally used for outboard powered boats. I believe the only sterndrive 17ft model offered in 1996 was a 1750SR. Good luck with the repair. I hope you get on the water soon.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Haha, very well could be. The guy I bought it from said XR, but he may have been confused as well. The title doesn't specify that much but its definitely an I/O with 3.0L Alpha I. The title specifies the boat as 17'01" or something I believe too, have to look a little close I suppose